Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What 3 things do u wish u had been told?

So as I'm preparing for my journey, I'd like to know what 3 things do you wish someone had told you about the process/surgery? I wanna know all I possibly can. Thanks. Misty

For me...

1) although the percentage is so low that you would have to be converted from a lap procedure to an open procedure...it could be you and what that means regarding pain and recovery.

2). Your emotions can be an absolute roller coaster for the first couple of weeks post surgery.

3) how quickly your body makes changes and how strange it feels to you!

I'm so grateful and happy I had this surgery...those are just the things I was not prepared for.

All 3 of those are great to think about! Ty!!! :)

My biggest thing would be head hunger. What it truly is and the tricks you brain will play on you to get you to eat things you should not. It is something you must master and learn how to spot it. The best way I can describe it is to think of your brain as a two year old child. It will do anything to get what it wants. The tantrums will be epic and if you are prepared things will go smoother.

The first time I realized that people who are new to my life don't know what I used to look like. The self doubt of would you have been my friend if I still weighed 256.

Whatever relationship you think you have will food will be challenged. You must be ready to develop a new and healthy relationship with food. Be smart enough to look inside yourself and discover why you are eating that particular. Also to realize you are human and will fall of the wagon a few times. That's ok, but you have to pick yourself up and learn from those times.

Finally this is such an AWSOME journey. You learn so much about yourself. Your dreams really are possible

Oh that's great info! I never thought about any of that! This site is teaching me so much that I would never have known. I can't imagine being without it going on this journey. Can't imagine someone not having it for the information, friendships, and support buddies that I have made. Couldn't do this blindly for sure! :) Ty all for the info!

1~ Constipation. It's real and if it gets out of hand, it can be ugly.

2~ Freezing ALL the time.

3~ How great I feel. Yes, people told me but I'm a level of feeling great that no one could have explained it to me fully. I never expected it would feel THIS great!

Good luck. You will love your sleeve!

Such a great post and I want to follow. I am hoping to have surgery in January or February. I finish up my appointments for clearances next week.

There are so many things, but here goes:

1) How emotional you will feel when someone says you look great, or amazing and you wonder what they thought you looked like before.

2) How much you will need to change clothes sizes, including underwear! I have spent a lot of time in Goodwill and Walmart/Target. Dont' spend alot of money on clothes at first, you won't be in them long.

3)No one can tell you how great you feel, but my doctor was right about not regretting the surgery, I haven't had one regret! I love the new me!!

There are so many things, but here goes:

1) How emotional you will feel when someone says you look great, or amazing and you wonder what they thought you looked like before.

2) How much you will need to change clothes sizes, including underwear! I have spent a lot of time in Goodwill and Walmart/Target. Dont' spend alot of money on clothes at first, you won't be in them long.

3)No one can tell you how great you feel, but my doctor was right about not regretting the surgery, I haven't had one regret! I love the new me!!

I wish someone had told me not to buy so many clothes in advance. I really never dreamed in my wildest dreams that I could ever get this small (sz10 as of now). I bought a lot of things in 16's & XL's. I have to say I never really got to wear them much, if at all. I blew right past those sizes so fast I never enjoyed them. I keep returning things for store credit and buying more things I don't gat to wear. I just LOVE trying on clothes!! :-)

It's funny you mentioned that! My daughter and I were just talking last night about me buying a few things in each size. I told her I didn't wanna get a lot of any one size... Just a few things cause u never know how long ur gonna be in that size! Hahaha... Good info!

Great topic for all of us heading into surgery and for those who have had it too- we all need to reflect regardless of where we are.

Great topic. I just scheduled my surgery for 1/7/2014.

Sherri that's awesome! Good luck on ur journey!! :)

I am enjoying reading these, I'm 2 weeks post op and feel completely different than I thought I would even at this point. It's interesting to read what is ahead!

Hi...

I'm 3 weeks out SW 244 surg date 232 today 209.

1. The anesthesia was so scary. I woke up feeling like I'd be sick, then panicked thinking what would happen if I did.

2. That the hospital I was in was SO noisy

.. sounds silly but, it was crazy. Everytime I dozed off I was woken by slamming doors.

3. That some of my friends would be jealous. .. almost mean. :(

That being said.... yes, my hospital stay was rough but I left wit no pain meds. Incisions are just about healed. No pain. No trouble tolerating anything so far. Some constipation... but working on getting more Water in.