Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Christmas Miracle

A friend of mine told me I should post this for both the newbies and the veterans to show you all that anything is possible.

Many of you know my journey but for those who don't, I was banded January 14th, 2013 and at that time was morbidly obese and suffering terrible pain from joint disease in both my knees and hips. My surgeon had told me six months earlier that at my current weight, I was not a candidate for surgery and I needed to be under 200 lbs. or I was going to wind up in a wheelchair.

I was very successful with the band and in six months, had lost enough weight to be considered a surgical candidate. By that time, my hips were so bad that I needed both of them replaced and I spent the two weeks prior to surgery on constant bed rest because I couldn't have any more cortisone shots and the pain was so bad that I could barely get to the bathroom and back. I was on a double dose of Percoset round the clock and even that didn't diminish the pain. For those of you with bad osteo or rhuematoid arthritis, you can understand what I'm talking about. And for those of you who are still dealing with 'regular' joint pain...I am your worst nightmare in terms of how bad it can get.

Fast forward nearly a year since the lapband surgery, and subsequent hip replacement surgery, and just take a look at the pictures attached. I'm the gal in the middle...with no deer antlers (mine got wet and droopy), but there I am at my Water exercise class...moving and doing, and standing and in only post op pain. I look at this picture and want everyone on this forum to understand that no matter where you are in your journey, you can improve your life and get back whatever obesity took away from you. It is possible, I am living proof of that. I am one of the success stories, and anyone else on this forum can also be a success story. If you are doing well, wonderful...keep it up. If you are struggling...get the help you need and get back on track. You can do it!!

I've also attached two other pictures of me....one from Christmas last year, and the selfie I just took today. Yes...that's the same girl...just 100 lbs. less of her. I hope you read this post as many times as needed to inspire and help you to reach whatever goals you've set. I'm not perfect, and I'm not stunning...I'm just a normal, somewhat flabby middle aged woman who got her life back.

Next week, we are going to the travel agent to make plans for a family cruise...and this time, I know I'll be able to not only get off the ship, but do whatever the kids want be it sightseeing, snorkeling, swimming in the ocean...or almost anything. Thank you lapband and thank you for reading this. Happy holidays to all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Love....Gowalking.

post-142630-0-23065800-1387562863_thumb.jpg post-142630-0-52129400-1387562898_thumb.jpg post-142630-0-63622400-1387562951_thumb.jpg

You are a true inspiration! You have done amazing work and congratulations on all of your accomplishments and future endeavors as well! Merry Christmas & Happy New Years to you!!

An amazing and truly inspirational story! One I take personally to heart, living with my hubby who is in that hip pain today. He's half way having lost 50 pounds so far with the band and working on another 50 before his hip surgery.

Thank you so much for posting!

Congratulations you look wonderful and healthy! Hurrah! Enjoy your cruise. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too! Karen...aka...kll724

Where is your superhuman costume???? :)

You are awesome and truly motivating.

I've got another 30-40lbs to lose and I get a brand new knee. But, the 74lbs weight loss I've already accomplished has enabled me to move easier, live with less pain, sleep better, smile more and feel so much happier. Most importantly, I've found my self-confidence again. I had lost that. I no longer walk down the hall with my eyes directed to the floor. That's a great feeling.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Merry Christmas you have done awesome. A lot to be proud of for sure.

​You look wonderful!!!! I am happy your hips are doing well. I know by losing weight my knees and back aren't as bad as they were and I really don't want any more surgeries.

​Have a wonderful and Happy New Year. I hope your Hanukkah was good. My grandsons have Santa and Xmas.

I've followed you since I became a member on LBT and what you have done is such a terrific accomplishment.

You truly inspire someone who is only 3 months out and whose knees and back have always been a source of pain!

I have lost about 60 lbs and feel so much better about myself....I have a ways to go but I take each day as it comes....do my very best and rely on here for the support from people such as yourself....

...so THANK YOU...wishing you a very happy AND healthy New Year!

Fantastic Story....

Are you doing Water aerobics??? That is great...keep it up, never let down..it will only keep getting better and better....the more you do, the more successes you are having, which only makes you want MORE! It's addictive...but I can tell you already know this.

KEEP MOVING!

Lap Band surgery can, and WILL, not only change your life forever, it will SAVE your life...

It's great for EVERYONE to know, no matter where you're at with this surgery, that everyone is moving in a POSITIVE direction...NO LONGER the other which can only lead to a slow agonizing quality of life....and worse

It's 4:30am....I am so glad THIS is the first post I read this morning....as opposed to some of the others.... There should be more like it....

Edited by B-52

Thanks all. It's been a challenging year for sure with the pain and such a difficult surgery and recuperation but I really can see the improvements as well both big and small and really...isn't that what a journey is all about? Life is a series of ups and downs and as long as the ups outweigh the downs, we're doing pretty good, right?

Congratulations Gowalking...and thanks for your post! Such a great topic title for the season and for your accomplishments. I wish you much continued success. :)

You are amazing -- and such an inspiration. I'm so happy for you. Wow, you have accomplished so much! You look great and your posts exude happiness and relief. I am in this for many reasons but arthritis is one of them. Looking forward to a lessening of joint pain as the pounds come off. Both biological parents had eight joint replacements between them. Hoping to avoid that!

Go walking you were one of the first people who I met here on the forum we have the same surgeon and from the day I joined this site you have been an inspiration to me. I am so happy for you !!!! Ur post actually brought tears to my eyes. It's so amazing. I wish I could get over my fear of posting my pics here so I can share my before and during pics because it has been a truly amazing transformation for me as well .

Merry Christmas and maybe one day we will run I to each at the surgeons office :) i

Go walking you were one of the first people who I met here on the forum we have the same surgeon and from the day I joined this site you have been an inspiration to me. I am so happy for you !!!! Ur post actually brought tears to my eyes. It's so amazing. I wish I could get over my fear of posting my pics here so I can share my before and during pics because it has been a truly amazing transformation for me as well .

Merry Christmas and maybe one day we will run I to each at the surgeons office :) i

My next appointment is January 10th. If you ever want to meet up for coffee or whatnot, PM me and we'll make arrangements. Are you in the city, or one of the outer boroughs?

I'm in bklyn :) my next appointment is jan 21 :) I will pm u