Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An atheist's pov vs a christain point of view

This was in response to an image that was posted. Read the image and you will see my point of view. Nothing personal...

I would like to add to this image. "Being an advocate for civil rights, KKK marches, and GLBTQ parades/day is okay. Being stripped and censored of our first amendment rights, and not allowed to voice our opinions is not okay."

I don't think you or anybody else has been censored at all. But I do feel there are certain subforums dedicated to certain groups to discuss their commonalities. Amongst others, there is a religious forum to discuss your faith and devotion to god. And this is not it.

Just like men are asked to stay out of the powder room and women are asked to stay out of the mans room.

Edited by gmanbat

So when I first posted this, the things I had thought we might discuss were whether was was represented here resonated with our beliefs. I see how the points serve a poetic purpose, but I had hoped to spark a discussion on what we believe on the points themselves. Posted as it is in the agnostic/atheist forum, I had thought that would be food for a good discussion on what we believe to be true for us.

For me, the following are points made in the poem that I do not subscribe to:

1. That we can do whatever we want without (Eternal) consequences. and

2. The more we have the happier we will be.

Of course, once you post, the discussion goes where it will and that's fine, but that was my original intent.

What is it they say about the road to hell and good intentions? :-D

Oh come on, you didn't think I could resist THAT opportunity for a little irony did you? :)

I would have to say I do not subscribe to either of those statements.

One of the few lines I loved and often repeat is...

The more things you own the more you are owned by them.

I have found this to be true. but, I do like my comfy bed and my comfy LayZBoy both of which cost some good money. For those things that money can buy how would you get along without it? I am self-pay on this gastric Sleeve....hmm, my point is more money can buy a better chance at good health. Hmm, I think I just talked myself into things being ok.

The non-dualist in me says there really is No-Thing and we cannot die since we were never born.....but, probably too esoteric for a forum like this.

Most atheists are actually agnostic as are most Christians when you dig deeper by chatting about their beliefs. When you hear "god is so powerful no one can know".....<bam> bring out the agnostic label.

I used to be atheist, meditated (fairly intensely) for a decade and am now more an agnostic. Buddhism/non-duality here.

Agnostic and Atheist??

Agnostics claim either that it is not possible to have absolute or certain knowledge of God or gods; or, alternatively, that while individual certainty may be possible, they personally have no knowledge.

I would have to say I do not subscribe to either of those statements.

One of the few lines I loved and often repeat is...

The more things you own the more you are owned by them.

I have found this to be true. but, I do like my comfy bed and my comfy LayZBoy both of which cost some good money. For those things that money can buy how would you get along without it? I am self-pay on this gastric Sleeve....hmm, my point is more money can buy a better chance at good health. Hmm, I think I just talked myself into things being ok.

The non-dualist in me says there really is No-Thing and we cannot die since we were never born.....but, probably too esoteric for a forum like this.

Yup! I've always said that the loss of anything you love can hurt you--whether it's man, woman, child, dog, or lazy boy. I do think that things own us, we don't own them,

And get a bunch of smart, opinionated people together and nothing is too esoteric. Buddhist you and raised-as-Hindu me can have a good discussion about Maya and whether we were really born or not. :)

Butter started a GREAT thread in this forum that's worth a read where we all talked about ourselves and our beliefs. I have to find it and link to it. It's a good example of the type of thought sharing that's possible on this forum.

Most atheists are actually agnostic as are most Christians when you dig deeper by chatting about their beliefs. When you hear "god is so powerful no one can know".....<bam> bring out the agnostic label. I used to be atheist, meditated (fairly intensely) for a decade and am now more an agnostic. Buddhism/non-duality here.

I read this piece recently posted on the "Daily writing" blog...thought the line on " I am coming around to a sugar-agnostic position" might tickle you all (since we can hardly take such a position ourselves)....of course I had no idea I could be agnostic about more than religion!

"I thought I knew the meaning of the word agnostic until I read this in an article about the Common Core State Standards:

Some teachers were angered, not by his pedagogical vision per se but by the fact that the author of the standards seemed to be telling them how to teach, even when the standards themselves are agnostic about pedagogy.

Thomas Huxley (1825-1895) coined the word agnostic to describe his attitude towards God and religion. He felt he lacked sufficient knowledge to determine if God existed or not. He formed the word by adding the prefix a- to the word gnostic. The prefix added the sense of “without, not, -less.” Gnostic means “knowledge.” Agnostic means “lack of knowledge.”

The word agnostic can be a noun or an adjective. An agnostic is a person who withholds an opinion as to whether or not God exists. As an adjective, agnostic means “relating to the belief that the existence of anything beyond and behind material phenomena is unknown and (as far as can be judged) unknowable.”

The use of agnostic in a nonreligious context led me to uses I’d been unaware of. Here are some examples:

Progressive adherents defend the Common Core State Standards Initiative as culturally and morally agnostic.

I had to [think of] a recipe that would be apple agnostic—it had to work no matter if they were sweet or tart, red or green, tender or crisp.

“Political agnostics” are people who ignore politics and current events.

“The rescues I knew that did foster homes were mostly purebred rescues, like for collies or Persian [cats],” says Wootton,…”I didn’t know of any that just took dogs, or just took cats…We are breed-agnostic — we don’t discriminate.”

I am coming round to a sugar-agnostic position.

The burgeoning use of the word agnostic in nonreligious contexts may derive from its use in the world of technology. A software program that will run on any computer operating system is said to be “platform agnostic.”

In extended use, agnostic can mean “not committed to a particular point of view, “non-partisan,” or “equivocal.”

To me, the use of agnostic to refer to apples, sugar, and dogs seems more than a little inapt. And a word that can mean “equivocal” doesn’t seem the best choice to describe educational standards."

I love the post above. I actually use the phrase "media agnostic" quite often. We create predictive models that help clients figure out where to put their media dollars to get the best results. While a lot of companies are affected by client decisions, (eg large ad agencies make money when people buy TV ads), we don't care where the client puts their money, we just try to help them make a data-driven decision.

So Media Agnostic, as in, we are not partial to any one particular medium, is quite common. I suppose that's another way of saying "we don't believe one medium is inherently superior to another"...which is the same thing as religion agnostic, yes?

Very interesting point of view.