Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have any issues telling men about your surgery?

Feel like my decision to go through with this was a big personal decision. I haven't had any issues telling my friends that are girls but I have trouble telling the guys. Idk if it's because is think they'll take it the wrong way or idk. Have you guys had the same struggles? Also, I've been dating a few guys pre-op, and I lied and said I was getting my gall bladder out, which I know lying is wrong, but I'm going to be losing weight fast now and I'll need to tell these guys the truth. Help!

I'm a very private person so I really didn't want anyone to know unless it was necessary. I don't blame you for not telling, it's no ones business really.

I haven't told anyone. It is no ones business about your personal medical history. This does not affect their health in any way. Just do what feels comfortable to you, there is no right or wrong.

Ive told a few people but no males in my life i lost weight bf surgery they knew i was losing so um gonna keep it like that it seem time u tell oeopke they start to ask ? All the time and i fill stressed

I was single when I had my surgery, I started dating about 3 months post op, about 100 lbs down at the time. I didn't tell any of the guys I had gone out with during this time, until I met my current boyfriend. We were talking over coffee and I felt comfortable enough with him to just tell him about it. and we've been together for three months now.

My point is, tell them if you are comfortable with them, and if you want the relationship to continue, otherwise they get all head up about 'oh my god you're losing so much weight so fast are you anorexic?! I never see you eat." Like my boyfriend's friend's have been doing until I told them. Lol.

My mom had surgery a year ago and is 100lbs lighter and didn't want anyone to know, on Christmas Eve I had my surgeon consultation and am ready to get started on my journey but I'm not all that worried about people finding out, I've been a fat guy my whole life and everyone's seen the yo-yo ing. The way I see it would be pretty hard to believe that at 41 I all of a sudden got my act together. I was also one of those guys that said I 'll NEVER have surgery, I'm fine with the way I am, it's funny how a new daughter can change your attitude, and if I can do it than anyone can and I'm now hoping that a couple of my friends will see me doing it and will now at least consider their options. Sorry for crashing the powder room.

I'm not planning on telling many people. I am very private about that stuff. I wouldn't have a problem telling a half truth, i.e. having a hernia fixed.

Is there any reason you would have to tell him your having anything done? If you aren't available for a week or two could you get away with just not feeling well as a reason for missing?

Don't be afraid to talk about it!! Its part of the healing process, think of all the people you have the chance to enlighten?! You have nothing to hide, be proud of making a decision to better your health! Besides, when you tell them and they react negatively...... you don't want them in your life anyway!! Surround yourself with positive people, with the right guy, it wont matter about the surgery. He will love you for you! Not to mention, where are you going to hide the stretched out skin?? ....tuck it in your socks?!?!!

Batcap Ty for giving a guys perspective!! Very much appreciated !! If we girls are searching for a guy, we do need to know what you actually are thinking!!