Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Difference

Hello, I had the sleeve done 3 weeks ago. I just had a friend get the lap band this week. Can anyone tell me the difference in recovery? Is it faster or less painful at all? I worry because I took 3 weeks off and she is only taking 3 days. I just want to be able to give her advise if she asks but don't want to "baby" her.

I had the band in 07 and took 2 weeks off. I had the sleeve on Dec 9, one week ago, and am hoping to return to work after my post surgical check up on the 17th, 8 days after surgery. While still recuperating from the sleeve, I think the lap band recovery was worse. .

There's no way of pre planning what to expect. I had the lapband and recovery sucked and with the sleeve it was as I hadn't had surgery. My daughter had lap band and it was nothing, but she's having a tough time with sleeve post op.

My band surgery (2009) was easy peasy compared to my sleeve revision (5 mths ago). I don't work so I'm not much help there but with my band I guess I could gone back to a desk job in maybe a week. Now if I were returning to work as say, an RN (my past lifetime) I'd have been ready in mayb 2-3 weeks.

Now with my revision, they had to spend an extra 30 mins digging my band outa my stomach, making me sore than anticipated. I would've had to wait at least a month for either job. Recovery from my sleeve sucked, big time. regretted it for a while. But as my husband reminded me I had to have my band out anyway. What a little more pain in addition to the pain of taking it out?

So there's ur answer...

I had the band in 2009 and took a week off afterwards. I was very sore after and felt like I had been beat up.

I had the sleeve done in 2012 and felt great the next day! I took a month off of work but mainly because I work in a group home dealing with physical behaviors. I guess I attribute quick recover(as far as pain goes) to being in a lot better shape prior to surgery this time around.

I had my lap band in 2010 and the recovery from it was lengthy and miserable. I had the sleeve on December 20th and was home the next day feeling as if I had only done a few sit ups. The sleeve was easy breezy. I took five days off of work only because I work in a very low stress office job. I would suspect that my recovery was easier due to the fact I am healthier this go round. Good Luck to you!

I had the band on Friday, went out with friends Saturday night and back to work Monday. I had my band removed, hiatal hernia repair and sleeve done on a Friday and was back to work Tuesday.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches