Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else heard u can't stretch ur sleeve to more than 8oz?

I'm pretty sure that's what my nurse said in the nutrition class the day before surgery. That they take out the stretchy part of ur stomach so while u CAN stretch it a little, it can never be stretched to more than 8oz. I'm hoping this is true.

I'm 5 mths post op. When I started eating solids at 8 weeks, I could eat maybe 5-6 bites of any given meal. It's grown monthly to now - I can eat 10-12 bites of any given meal. I've been maintaining for 2 mths ( lost 22 lbs the 1st 3 mths. I knew it would come off slower since I started at 174 - I was a band revision). I still have 22 lbs to go to my goal but I decided before Thankgiving that I would maintain until after the holidays then on Jan 2nd, I would go full force to get the last 22 lbs off. Then I think it should be fairly easy to maintain. Unless of course, I can eat 20 bites in the next 5 mths. Seemed to double. Hope it doesn't continue to double.

I'm actually a little surprised that I've doubled my intake and haven't gained any weight... Yeah.

Has anyone else heard this?

Thanks for posting this, I too am very interested in the answer.

Hi Marfar :)

Here is something I posted about stomach stretching back on November 4th. I hope this helps.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/286386-will-my-stomach-stretch-interesting-information/

Bonnie

Well I don't know if that is just an "estimate"...I'm sure it is. Everyone is different and you can stretch any pouch (band, sleeve, bypass, etc.) by constantly overeating and overfilling it.

What you are describing seems about normal to me. The sleeve does relax over time, because when you are first sleeved, a major organ has been severed, stapled, likely oversewn, and there is definitely swelling that naturally relaxes over time. I get that you are using "bites" as a measurement but bites sure can be different sizes. I still weigh/and or measure my food on a fairly consistent basis so I know what I'm eating.

I'm 3+ years post-op. I max out at 4oz of dense Protein....steak, chicken, fish, etc. I usually measure out 100grams of whatever "meat" is on the menu (which translates to just about 3.5oz) of Protein, add in an ounce or two of other (which is usually veggie or fruit or carb) and that is my meal. So basically a meal for me would top out at around 5-6oz of food total.

Now if I were to sit and eat popcorn or chips or something like that I'm sure I could eat a lot more of that kind of stuff because sliders are designed to do just that...slide right through.

As far as your goal...seems like your BMI is at the healthy stage, I wouldn't worry too much if you don't shed the last 22. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Marfar :)

Here is something I posted about stomach stretching back on November 4th. I hope this helps.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/286386-will-my-stomach-stretch-interesting-information/

Bonnie

Thanx. Interesting read. Makes perfect sense. So occasionally overeating will not cause my stomach to permanently stretch it but continually overeating will.

Ok, 1 more ?: I was a lapbander for almost 4 yrs. They use the 5 Day Pouch Test to "reset" ur band's tightness (never worked for me, however). Will that work to reset our stomach or once it;s stretched, will it ever go back if I cut back on my intake?

Now I'm worried. Hubby tells me everynite (while I'm doing my routine nighttime snacking) "You're gunna stretch out ur sleeve, then you'll be screwed". I argue with him that it's not gunna stretch. Now I'm panicked. I never did lose my hunger hormone (ur lucky if you have!) so I'm hungry often. I often feel like a pig when I mention to my husband that I'm hungry again. While I can eat very little, I'm hungry again within 2 hrs. I'm trying really hard not to graze, so I force myself to eat a couple more bites at mealtimes so I'm not hungry again in 2 hrs. That might not be a great idea, I take it.

I am not familiar with the pouch test. Sorry. But I can relate to feeling hungry all the time. Some days it is worse than others. This week seems to be especially bad. I have always been a night time grazer/snacker/munchies. I have been working hard to overcome that bad habit. I try to eat dinner between 6 and 7 and make sure it is a dense Protein. Then I only allow myself to drink flavor infused Water until I go to sleep. I also track everything I eat on MFP. It is the only way I can be held accountable because I have a tendenancy to graze and would lose track of calories very easily.

I am sorry I can't be more help, but I am sure someone else will chime in with some pearls of wisdom.

Bonnie

Bonnie, I'm a grazer too and unfortunately the sleeve doesn't really help with that. Dense Protein DOES stay in there for a good long time, but it's something I have to be constantly aware of or I could easily fit more unnecessary food/calories in my day!

I was curious about the possiblilty of stretching my sleeve too. I did some Googling and ran across a medical site that said IF you worked hard enough at overeating you could stretch your sleeve, but occasionally overeating would not permanently stretch it. But I'm not going to push my luck. :-)

I've paid too much cash and gone through too much pain to waste this life changing opportunity.

I did freak out a little when I realized I could eat more than 1/2 cup per meal. At about 6 months, I started being able to eat around 1 full cup - depending on the density of the food. I could eat more of vegetables and fruits (stuff that can be mashed down) than dense Protein like chicken, steak and pork, chicken being the most filling.

Now at 12 months, I can eat 1 to 1 1/2 cups of food per meal, but I can still maintain my weight or loose more depending on how much I let myself eat and exercise.

If it helps, I have found that drinking warm fluids, like coffee and chicken broth keep my head hunger at bay pretty well.

As well, I try to get plenty of rest. I've noticed that I stay hungry all the time when I'm sleep deprived. I guess my body knows it will get a little boost of energy if I eat something and it's trying to get out of the slump.

I'm pretty sure that's what my nurse said in the nutrition class the day before surgery. That they take out the stretchy part of ur stomach so while u CAN stretch it a little, it can never be stretched to more than 8oz. I'm hoping this is true.

I'm 5 mths post op. When I started eating solids at 8 weeks, I could eat maybe 5-6 bites of any given meal. It's grown monthly to now - I can eat 10-12 bites of any given meal. I've been maintaining for 2 mths ( lost 22 lbs the 1st 3 mths. I knew it would come off slower since I started at 174 - I was a band revision). I still have 22 lbs to go to my goal but I decided before Thankgiving that I would maintain until after the holidays then on Jan 2nd, I would go full force to get the last 22 lbs off. Then I think it should be fairly easy to maintain. Unless of course, I can eat 20 bites in the next 5 mths. Seemed to double. Hope it doesn't continue to double.

I'm actually a little surprised that I've doubled my intake and haven't gained any weight... Yeah.

Has anyone else heard this?

I've never heard this, I was told by my doctor that he doesn't want his patients to EVER eat more than a cup of food at one sitting. At 3.5 years, I still cannot eat a cup of food at one sitting!!! I track everything, every day. I also weigh daily and weigh and/or measure my food when I'm at home. Our stomach relaxes and I think mine was at full capacity and hasn't changed since about one year out. I hope it never does. I was at a support group meeting last night and this PhD doctor that speaks to us monthly said that we CAN stretch our sleeve but it isn't easy to do. I've never heard a 'limit' as far as how big it can stretch to. I have met people at meetings that have gained a large portion of their weight back, but they had started or rather stopped doing things we need to continue for ever. Be careful over the holidays, enjoy, but track your calories. A year ago I gained about 6 pounds over a 2 month period, I was still within two pounds of my doctor's goal, but six pounds over MY goal. I knew I was up, I was still doing everything I should as far as tracking my food and all that, but my calories went up eating slider foods.....easy on, not as easy coming off. About double the time getting rid of it. NOT FUN, but possible. I am not doing a repeat this year!!! :)

I love to watch the Endobariatric videos on YouTube because the surgeon answers a lot of questions in a very easily understood way. I don't think you should ever take his word over your own doctor but he makes it easy to understand and this one video in particular is specifically about stretching the sleeve. Check it out!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv8X6H_jLgY