Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Ideas? Very Mild Chest Pressure Sensation

I called my surgeon's office and I spoke with the PA. She pretty much stated that it could be that i'm eating or drinking too fast and maybe big gulps at the time and that can irritated the esophagus and caused spasms. She suggested that 15 minutes before I eat to drink something warm to smooth things and if the discomfort continues to call back to make an appointment.

I know that I can work on slowing down when I drink . So I'm going to try her suggestions and I hope it works.

Edited by yaya1397

I called and got an appt with the surgeon for this afternoon. This morning I ate my usual Protein Bar (slowly) and got some pain after. This sucks.

I called and got an appt with the surgeon for this afternoon. This morning I ate my usual Protein Bar (slowly) and got some pain after. This sucks.

Please let us know what he says and I hope you feel better soon!!

Hi Vida, great you are going in this afternoon -- I will be thinking of you working with the surgeon to puzzle this through. I am interested in how the band can tighten up for various reasons -- people have mentioned stress and hormones (PMS or TOM), air travel, etc. Wonder about big lifestyle changes or weather, etc. Also there's the whole food sensitivity issue. Could there be something in that Protein bar you cannot tolerate any longer for some reason? I am very new to this and just throwing some thoughts out there. The great thing is your are very tuned in to your body. You will get this figured out!

I was not being condescending I was merely stating that heart attacks in women are called the silent killer. Forgive me for caring enough to tell you to go get checked. I love how people tell you how you are saying things when they don't even know you. LOL this is the very reason why most Veteran Banders do not come here anymore it always ends up in someone taking something they said the wrong way and a big argument for nothing. I hope you get the answer you are seeking. Besides your doctor is getting paid big bucks to take your calls 24 hours a day so you're not wasting his time by any means.

Edited by cheryl2586

Thank you for your concern, fellow banders.

The doc unfilled 1cc and said that if it doesn't feel better by tomorrow then I should call him back asap and also make an appt for the cardiologist (doc feels that it is not a heart issue, but just to make sure). If that is clear, then his next idea is an endoscopy and then maybe it'd be referred pain from my gall stones. He said if I did end up getting my gall bladder out, he could also check the band positioning.

I am hoping this un-fill is the only thing needed. He did say that stress can tighten the band, and boy howdy I am stressed these last few weeks. Also I just finished with my TOM, so does that have anything to do with it? Who knows.

Now, it's dinner time. I'll let you know how it goes.

UPDATE aka ADVENTURES in the ER!

So I got my unfill and it made things better but this morning when I went to drink Water, it HURT. Then I waited a little and attempted a Protein shake. NOT GOOD. So I call the doctor, and Wed. is his surgery day at the hospital, so the nurse says come on in. Great. Not what I wanted, but I went. It was 10:30am. I had blood drawn, an X ray (no slip!), an ekg (fine, like I thought), and a 2 hr gall bladder nuclear scan (again, perfect). By 4:30 finally the doc's assistant came around and said that I should go to a stage 1 diet for a few days and just watch and wait til my scheduled appt. on Tuesday (for a fill, but I guess not now!). I was sent home at with a script for some anti-inflammatory (pro..something?). I have to wait til tomorrow to get the powdered form of the med since the pharmacy didn't have anything but uncrushable tablets--I'm not even trying that!!

I am drinking my first liquid in 10 hours and it HURTS, right at the band. This SUCKS!! :( I hope the med/along with the stage 1 foods will work in getting me back to normal. I was problem free of the band til now.

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I sure hope so!! Thank you for your optimism!!!

Take it easy -- maybe try to reduce stress any way possible? I know, sounds absurd as of course stress is stress. But can you get some down time, hot bath, have some one rub your feet, etc.? Thinking of you. Hope this liquids only does it for you.

Take it easy -- maybe try to reduce stress any way possible? I know, sounds absurd as of course stress is stress. But can you get some down time, hot bath, have some one rub your feet, etc.? Thinking of you. Hope this liquids only does it for you.

I sure hope liquids only does it. I feel slightly better than yesterday, but something is definitely still off. I wish I could have some down time. Ha! I am a teacher and I took yesterday off (spent all in the ER) and today, which only builds to my stress, unfortunately. I will take this weekend off completely to try to relax. Thank you for your good wishes.

Glad you took today off, too -- that's what the time is there for and of course teaching is such a stressful profession. You have a good weekend and feel better -- unwind and see where you are. I've read about the five day pouch test and know there are others on here who go all liquids once in a while to give their band a rest or give themselves a reboot. Good luck and enjoy your downtime - I find breathing helps me stay calm and with a name like Pura Vida I'm sure you're doing all that. Best wishes!

Let us know how your doing Pura. I know we want to be tight enough not to overeat but I'm thinking you may still be a little too tight and maybe a little more loosening will help the band relax a bit.

For me having something warm helps, and Bandista is right about stress. I feel your pain with that because I rarely if ever have a moment of down time. Weekend or no weekend there is always something and someone looking for me.

I'm glad that all your test came back well and there is nothing wrong with your heart or your band right now. Take it easy, but if you don't settle into the level in the band consider taking out 1 more cc and see how you are. That might not be the key but it can't hurt and the upside is you can always put it back in when your feeling better.

HI!

Wow, you've been thru the wringer. I think you said you are a teacher? will you have some time off for the upcoming holidays?

It sounds like you're doing everything you can and I really appreciate that you are sharing here. Great idea to drink something warm 15 minutes before eating to loosen things up! I wish I'd been given that advice myself, a while back.

Hang in there! It sounds like your doctor is taking this very seriously and will get to the bottom of it.

I wonder if yoga or relaxation exercises might be helpful? There are lots of things you can follow along with on You Tube (since I imagine finding time to take an actual class is near impossible!). And, as I'm sure you know, getting quality sleep right now is especially important --gives your body a chance to heal itself without being interfered with.

Take good care!

Here's a big hug for you!

~hiddn

Doing even better today. I think I am too tight and when I see the doc on Tues I will ask for some more out. I have ZERO hunger at all (yet my stomach is gurgling like a brook), so that also includes no desire to drink either. I have to force myself. That can't be right in bander world, yeah?

The lingering chest pain is still there, but it's only in the middle of my chest, just to the left, where the band would be. But it's tolerable, and not constant as before. I keep almost hiccuping, which has always been my sign (even before banding) that I ate too much. That tells me I'm way too tight.

I saw a lap band friend yesterday and she said the same thing happened to her once, just tightened up for no reason, so much that she too ended up in the ER. She said she gave it time and liquids too and it went away.

As for school, I went in today and since it was test day for most of my classes, it was ok. At one point I must have clutched my chest because a boy asked if I was ok. I have one week til our 2 week vacation. I can't wait! I have already asked hubby for my usual gift, a gift certificate for a massage. This time I implied that it was doctor's orders. LOL

Well I hope I continue to feel better, because this pain stinks! I was doing so well, too. Feeling good, taking care of myself, for the first time eating right for an extended period of time. I want to keep it up!

Thank you for the support everyone.