Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Aren't You Losing Weight?

Why Aren't You Losing Weight?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Why Aren't You Losing Weight?

• I no longer care if I lose weight
    • I don't follow Bandster rules regarding food
    • I don't exercise enough
    • I drink fluids with my meals
    • I can't seem to give up sweets
    • I haven't beaten my head hunger issues
    • No support system in place at my home
    • The band doesn't work
    • I'd rather eat what I want than to lose weight
    • Medical problem (slipped, eroded, etc.)
    • Plateau that I can't break OR I use plateau as an excuse
    • I'll lose weight later
    • Alcohol issues
    • I AM losing weight
    • Other (please explain)

I need the "I don't know" button. :( I can speculate, but it's all just guessing. I've tried switching things up - eating more, eating less, eating different, refeeds, changes in exercise, etc.

I track my weight on a calendar, and on 2/7 I weighed the exact same I do today. This is how it has been for me for... oh... 5 - 7 months now. Occasionally I will have a 2 or 3 lb loss, then noooooothhhinnnnnnggggg. On 12/8 I was 265. So I've lost like 10 lbs in 3.5 months. That's far below even the low end of expected weightloss, and I still have 70 - 90 lbs to lose. In theory I should be able to do much less than I do now, and still lose weight.

Oh, I will add that I do drink fluids with my meals sometimes. Small amounts. It has never made a difference in the amount I eat, or in how long I feel full.

HeatherGurl - If I may ask, did you follow the diet I recently read about Dr. Spivak's most successful patients follow - your weight loss is tremendous!

I read most of his patients who have lost over 100lbs eat:

(sample)

1/2 yogurt for Breakfast the other 1/2 for snack

lettuce and tomatoes for lunch

meat + vege for dinner

no Snacks at all and 5 days of aerobic activity a week

No doubt that would work if you can stand it but was wondering if you did that?? I'm dumbstruck if you lost all that weight without counting calories, etc.!

I'm sorry for others too that report slowed/stalled loss - unfortunately I can't offer any advice as I've tried it all too (except the above which I'm willing to give a shot at)

Breakfast: 4 turkey sausage links

Snack: 12 peanuts and a cheese stick

Lunch: 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich (PAM spray and 1 slice american cheese) and 1 cup tomoato Soup

Snack: 3 pieces of thin sliced deli meat ham like shaved

Dinner: almost 1 cup of tortolline Pasta (sp?) with prego sauce and a pretty nice size salad with lite italian dressing

I think you might be surprised at what the total calories and fat/carb content is in this day.

I entered the above in a website that calculates fat, calories, etc. I used low fat for things like the turkey sausage, etc. Here is what it says, but keep in mind I didn't know what brands, etc. you are using.

Total daily calories: 1451

Calories from fat: 519

Saturated Fat: 19gms

Cholesterol 287mg

Sodium 5118mg

Carbs: 153gms

Fiber: 11gm

Sugars: 38gms

Protein: 83gms

Vit A: 67%

Vit C: 89%

Calcium 53%

Iron 64%

You should be getting one Fiber gm per 100 calories, the carbs are pretty high up there as is sugar. But the Protein was good!

Usually 1400-1500 calories is more considered maintenance than weight loss.

Have you considered tracking everything you consume on something like Fitday or thedailyplate.com? I think you might be surprised at the fat and carbs in your diet.

Also, I agree with you a fill is a great idea!!

1/2 yogurt for breakfast the other 1/2 for snack

lettuce and tomatoes for lunch

meat + vege for dinner

no Snacks at all and 5 days of aerobic activity a week

It's no wonder they lost a lot of weight eating that diet. I would venture to say that's about 600 calories a day at most. If the goal is to lose weight fast, following that diet would do the trick. However, I need to follow a diet that I can live with for life. If that means a slower rate of loss, so be it.

I don't eat near enough Protein. I still have way to high carb intake.

And I don't exercise much at all. I go in spurts...will do ok for a few weeks and then stop.

I still haven't gotten a good routine for diet and exercise, but I haven't given up. I keep trying.

Several of those apply to me.

I dont really care any more if I lose weight. I'm a healthy weight now and look and feel much better than I did. I'd look even better if I lost another 8kg but I truly dont care that much about it.

I still eat from head hunger at times.

I'd rather enjoy my life and eat what I want than diet at the moment. What I want to eat isnt unhealthy, isnt excessive and doesnt cause me any concern, I just dont want to have to think about food, measure and weigh food, count calories, blah blah blah. Soooooo boring and I dont want to do it.

So.... basically I guess it just doesnt really matter that much to me whether I lose anymore or not as if it did, I would do what I needed to do.

I'm maintaining very very easily, dont have to even think about it. In fact I'm actually losing very very very slowly, like 1 or 2lb per month.

I guess several of those choices apply to me too.

1. I don't always follow the "bandster" rules. I try but have struggled.

2. I don't exercise regularly. I do, but its sporadic.

3. I occasionally drink with meals, but not that often, my problem is the waiting 30minutes post meal. I have a hard time with that one.

4. I do great with sweets/carbs for awhile, then I go on a "carb/sweet" binge. There are times when chocolate or pastries are my downfall.

Also gourmet coffee "ala starbucks". A huge weakness for me.

5. Meal planning is a problem for me. If I could just be more disciplined with meal planning I would do better.

6. Another one not on the list. Portion Control. I am still looking for good restriction. I am still able to eat an almost "normal" size portion.

I have had 4 fills so far, with a total of 10.5cc of saline in my 13cc band. I have another fill appt in April. It was the soonest I could get in, working around my crazy upside down work schedule.

I am and continue to be a work in progress, I haven't and don't plan of giving up. I want to eventually make goal. I feel like I can do it within 2 years and I'll be happy as long as my weight is going down and not up.

Cause for the past 10 years, I steadily gained wt every month. a pound here...a 1/2 lbs there.

If I can do the same thing in reverse...only maybe a little faster... :)

.....that would be great!!!

I've lost 50 lbs but it has slowed way down for the past few months. I only eat about 600-800 cal per day and I drink alot more Water now than I ever did. I exercise at least once per day for min. of 45 minutes and sometimes twice per day. I LOVE Curves and I also have an eliptical machine at home.

I've lost 50 lbs but it has slowed way down for the past few months. I only eat about 600-800 cal per day and I drink alot more Water now than I ever did. I exercise at least once per day for min. of 45 minutes and sometimes twice per day. I LOVE Curves and I also have an eliptical machine at home.

If I drop below 1000-1200 cal a day I stop losing. I believe the starvation mode theory, if you get too few calories the body holds onto everything you consume. ~Mandy

Not real sure why I am stalled out---or losing so slowly. But the inches continue to drop, as well as my body fat percentage dropping. I have been working out more---getting more exercise in, but also likely eating more.

At this point, I am not real concerned about it. Some days it is frustrating, but others I don't even think about it!

I feel like as the weather changes, and I can be outdoors doing things, that the last of this weight will come off. Now that is not to say I will miraculously slide to my goal weight!!! Would be nice---but unlikely!!! I am at a point now, I feel normal---so anything from here on is bonus to me. I feel healthy, and I am fitting in normal clothes. So when I can be outside, and work in the yard, and swim, and all that---whatever I get off I will be happy with.

I don't count calories, I never have. I try to live with the old motto of "all things in moderation". This is a lifestyle for me, not a diet. I am not willing to be miserable and deprive myself today for how I might look tomorrow.

I hope one day soon to see the Onederland number on my scale again---I saw it the other day, now the 2 is back!!! But it will reappear--and someday be here to stay!!!

Kat

My problem is SWEETS! I also do not exercise. Two big problems. I am almost 7 months banded and have gone up and down for the past 3 months. I am FINALLY on board here and the scale is moving downward. Need to stay away from sweets, I started taking my Chromium again and it seems to keep the cravings away. Also, I think it has taken me this long to finally accept and get used to this wonderful tool that I have. I guess I was fighting it a little too.

My problem is SWEETS! I also do not exercise. Two big problems. I am almost 7 months banded and have gone up and down for the past 3 months. I am FINALLY on board here and the scale is moving downward. Need to stay away from sweets, I started taking my Chromium again and it seems to keep the cravings away. Also, I think it has taken me this long to finally accept and get used to this wonderful tool that I have. I guess I was fighting it a little too.

I have a problem with sweets too! I enjoy them too much. I can eat right almost all day and then I sneak in a cookie here and there or I have to run to the grocery store for something and I grab a Reese Peanut Butter Cup. Like you I will continue to fight it!