Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Aren't You Losing Weight?

Why Aren't You Losing Weight?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Why Aren't You Losing Weight?

• I no longer care if I lose weight
    • I don't follow Bandster rules regarding food
    • I don't exercise enough
    • I drink fluids with my meals
    • I can't seem to give up sweets
    • I haven't beaten my head hunger issues
    • No support system in place at my home
    • The band doesn't work
    • I'd rather eat what I want than to lose weight
    • Medical problem (slipped, eroded, etc.)
    • Plateau that I can't break OR I use plateau as an excuse
    • I'll lose weight later
    • Alcohol issues
    • I AM losing weight
    • Other (please explain)

I don't know the answer to the question. I wish I did. I lost over 30 pounds in a matter of weeks after surgery, and then, just stopped. I still eat less than half what I used to, but just no more weight loss. It's true, I don't exercise much, but that was also true when I lost 30 pounds right after surgery. I may be on a plateau, whatever that is. I really don't know. I work so much it's hard to get into a regular exercise program. I know I "must," but I don't know how to do it. I don't really have a choice to work less. I'm really happy to have lost the 30 pounds. I feel much better already. But I want to keep it going.

I am still losing. It is hard to not get discouraged when you dont see the number on the scale going down EACH and EVERY week.....but I dont think it does that for very many people. I think it is more common that at some point you go a week or two (or more) where your body just plays catch up to the new weight and calorie intake, then resumes the loss. I have had many stalls and outright plateaus this past year+, but eventually the weight loss continues on the downward trend.

Hey Bubble Butt - you kind of know my story but I don't know exactly why I am not losing weight either. Although I did find a local endocrinologist I may be seeing - after I do a bit more research about her.

I also eat 1/2 of what I previously ate and exercise regularly but I have also become a bit more 'stubborn' in what I am willing to try (although even as I say that i've tried 'diet's and diet pills after banding) I tend to give up and then something spurs me to try again.

This morning I re-read a thread that talks about eating 600 calories a day and I'm now thinking I will try that again. Maybe with my upcoming fill at the end of the month it will be easier - in the past I've felt I was starving at that level.

I feel frustrated and depressed and embarassed for people to see my results but I think it's important to see someone it hasn't yet worked for. I'm also frequently 'mad' because I can't eat like I used to to soothe myself yet I'm still fat.

I won't give up trying to make this work in the sense of weight loss - it is why I keep coming here - it keeps me focused and honest and hopeful. I would love to have a local face to face support group but the only one I know of is only for the doctor's patients. I hope others respond if only to see more people in my situation and why.

I cut out all hard liquor this week. I am only have one drink now which is about 120 calories. I have to lotted into my daily food intake and I'm now losing .5 a day.

I don't know the answer to the question. I wish I did. I lost over 30 pounds in a matter of weeks after surgery, and then, just stopped. I still eat less than half what I used to, but just no more weight loss. It's true, I don't exercise much, but that was also true when I lost 30 pounds right after surgery. I may be on a plateau, whatever that is. I really don't know. I work so much it's hard to get into a regular exercise program. I know I "must," but I don't know how to do it. I don't really have a choice to work less. I'm really happy to have lost the 30 pounds. I feel much better already. But I want to keep it going.

Right after surgery I think it is common to lose weight without exercise. It was for me.

As for exercise, do you have a treadmill? An eliptical? Anything? What if you just do ONE minute a day, the next day do two minutes, then three, etc. In two months you'll be up to an hour.

For me the motivation is two fold. I think I'll be losing my band soon so I want to lose as much as I can while I have it. Also, the other one is that the more I lose the more I want to exercise.

I talked to a guy that has his masters or some such level in fitness and he really likes to focus on obese people and their specialized needs. He gave me suggestions that honestly, have paid off.

He explained some basics such as Protein. He said that the only people that need massive amounts of Protein are professional football players and such. That's less than 1% of the population.

He said to munch on complex carbs (Kashi's Breakfast Cereal, for example) an hour before a hard work out and protein after the work out. Get about 60gms of protein daily or more. Start small and go from there. Even one minute a day is better than nothing. Just a minute! Work up from there.

But I'm telling you, when the pounds start dropping it gives you all the motivation in the world to continue to exercise.

There is a guy on OH, Wendell. He's a wealth of information however we tend to disagree on protein needs. But he does bring up many good points about protein. He has hundreds of pounds to lose. When he was first banded he lost 100lbs and not a single inch. His doc told him to increase protein and now he shrinks. His wife refers to him as the incredible shrinking man.

Perhaps you are losing inches and not weight, unlike Wendell? What is your protein intake like? How many calories are you eating? Have you looked up the number of calories you require daily to "maintain" your current weight and then looked at what you are consuming?

This morning I re-read a thread that talks about eating 600 calories a day and I'm now thinking I will try that again. Maybe with my upcoming fill at the end of the month it will be easier - in the past I've felt I was starving at that level.

Would you provide a typical daily menu for us? I mean during times that you were starving. What exactly were you eating and did you have restriction?

You never know, if you post a menu of what you eat when caloric intake is low yet you are hungry, you might get some great ideas.

I am still losing the average 1-2 pounds a week and am thrilled with it. As for 600 calories a day, NO WAY! I would probably die from malnutrition.

i think i've plateued becauze i keep stress snacking at work. sure now i'm having a 100 calorie pack instead of a snickers bar sort of thing but i snack when i know i;m not hungry and should get some Water or tea

I lost weight weight for the 1st year, then it stopped. Now (since January) I have started working out 5 days a week and the weight is coming off again. At first I was able to lose weight without exercise but eventually exercise was necessary for weight loss. I am averaging about 2 lbs a week right now. I can't wait to hit my goal weight!! :success1:

When my weight loss was stalled I was eating the wrong foods. Better food choices make the lap-band work!!

Wrong food: Ice cream, chips, cheese, alcohol, chocolate, tacos, candy.< /p>

Right foods (your band can't be too tight): chicken, veggies, fruit, ground beef (lean), Water, yogurt

Those were just some ideas for those that are having trouble losing.

I am losing, just very s-l-o-w-l-y. I had stalled for a very long time (6 months) But in those months I had 2 foot surgeries and a partial unfill. I am getting back to proper restriction and starting to lose again. I am also very close to goal and it starts to slow as you get smaller. ~Mandy

I have been banded for almost 3 weeks and have only lost 5 lbs, I can't understand why as the other people banded on the same day as me have lost at least 20 lbs some of them more. I know it is early days yet but I have to admit I am disapointed by such a small weight loss.:think I have been having protien shakes and Soup plenty of Water and the last week have been going on the treadmill for 20 minutes per day.

I have been banded for almost 3 weeks and have only lost 5 lbs, I can't understand why as the other people banded on the same day as me have lost at least 20 lbs some of them more. I know it is early days yet but I have to admit I am disapointed by such a small weight loss.:think I have been having protien shakes and Soup plenty of Water and the last week have been going on the treadmill for 20 minutes per day.

It can't be said enough....the first 8 weeks are for HEALING. Not weight loss. Any weight lost during the first 6-8 weeks is a BONUS. Take time, let your body heal. Right now your band is empty, it requires an adjustment to work properly. ~Mandy

Here's what I ate the last few days:

B: oatmeal with dried cranberries (was absolutely starving in less then two hours - tried drinking 16oz Water but still super hungry - sure it was the carbs/low Protein but was tight in a.m.)

L: 3 hard boiled eggs with 2 tbls of light canola mayo on 1 slice of toasted wheat bread - very satisfied for almost 4 hours but went skiing for 4 hours and was hungry when I got home

Snack: 2 cheese sticks

dinner - 3/4 cup refried low fat vege Beans with shredded chedder (about 1/3 cup or less and splash of pace salsa

Next day:

Breakfast: 4 turkey sausage links

Snack: 12 peanuts and a cheese stick

Lunch: 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich (PAM spray and 1 slice american cheese) and 1 cup tomoato Soup

Snack: 3 pieces of thin sliced deli meat ham like shaved

Dinner: almost 1 cup of tortolline Pasta (sp?) with prego sauce and a pretty nice size salad with lite italian dressing

Boot camp exercise 1 hour at gym

B: egg salad on one slice toast

S: 2 pretzel sticks and one granola bar

L: tuna with canola mayo on lettuce

D: 14 tortilla chips with salsa; 1/2 small beef burrito (a good cup) and 2 glasses of wine. (Dinner with my old college roommate!) Also why I know I need a fill - I am close to my period usually tight but hunger/appetite is growing!!

Went skiing for 2 hours - not super hard but some exercise

After my fill I'm planning on doing Protein shake for Breakfast - the vege salad for lunch and just a meat and vege for dinner like Dr. Spivak's patients do. My weight is fairly stable - fluctuates about 4-5 lbs around my period. I have to weigh every day to keep on top of things.

I only have 20 lbs to go... I tell you what, these last pounds are stubborn. I know if I really watched what I ate, I could probably get them off... but I honestly eat what I want.

I am a SUCKER for sugar. I know that is 100% my problem. Maybe I will get my act together and get away from it to lose a few more pounds.

I have NEVER counted calories either. Maybe that would help, but that is just too much trouble for me.