Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As A Low Bmi-Er, Is There A Case For More Daily Calories?

Why do virtually all the bariatric surgeons have people do 600-800 calories a day while they reduce? If I have a low (33 pre-surgery) BMI and have lost 33% of my excess weight 4 weeks post surgery, then wouldn't I be likely to reduce more healthfully and preserve more muscle to have 800-1000 cals/day ? I know that surgeons want us to lose as much as possible in the first 6 months and I understand why calories need to be so low for many, but since I only have 45 to goal 4 weeks out, I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't go so close to starvation levels (?). If I have 5 more months of the sleeve's significant weight loss window to get rid of 45 lbs, i am inclined to go a little higher on calories (in ADDITION) to getting my 90 grams of Protein in. I did out of area surgery & don't have easy access to my NUT, so I'd really appreciate any of you wise folks chiming in :)!

Thanks so much to all!

I would definitely say to stick with the plan. They didn't go to all that schooling for nothing! LOL Due to your surgery, you are not near starvation levels. Your body is adjusted, therefore its' requirements are adjusted, as well. I hope that you will heed your doctors' advice. This time next year, I believe you will be happy you did.

By the way, I love that you are going with such high protein! What Protein source(s) are you going with and what are the total calories with the products at 90 grams?

Edited by TexasFire

The amount of calories you should take in can be less important than the type of calories. Also, age makes a huge difference, as does activity level and gender. Some people won't lose well at 1000 calories, some find they lose better. Many nuts give nutritional guidelines in terms of daily grams of carbs, fats, and Protein, not calories. If you can't phone your nut, I'd recommend just sticking with your plan, just my two cents.

If you are looking for permission here to eat more, there are folks who will give it to you. I'm curious, how can you get in that many calories? Early on, most folks struggle to get in 500 calories, much less twice that amount, unless you eat sliders and high calorie drinks.

NMJG, I haven't been eating that much to this point (about 650 cals/day), although my doc said from very early on that I seemed to have very little inflammation & he definitely moved me to soft foods (if I wanted to) quickly. I think I have had mostly slider-ish food up to this point, though--It's consisted of a lot of Plain Greek yogurt with low carb vanilla Protein powder added & low-carb Soups with unflavored Protein added. A scrambled egg here & there & a little bit of tuna w avocado definitely made me feel my restriction. I have been to a few holiday parties where I've had a teaspoon of warm (high calorie-but-low-carb) artichoke dip a couple of times. I did the sleeve mostly to get my blood pressure, cholesterol & blood sugar down and they have all already improved a GREAT deal (yay), so (now that my main gal of better health is materializing I want to be extra careful to reduce in the most healthful way possible even if it takes me longer to get to goal. I just wasn't sure if a little higher calorie pan was more healthful if a person was willing to be a slow loser, but it's seeming like the 600-800 calorie approach is the gold standard :).

Thanks much for replying :)!

TexasFire , I thought I'd replied to your post (thanks for responding, btw!). There is a weird dish that I found I liked right after surgery... 2oz of plain no- fat Greek yogurt with a scoop of EAS vanilla shake powder - probably not to the taste of many, but to me it tastes like a sort of cake batter my grandma used to make and it goes down easily;)! I also really like EAS carb- control ready-to-drink shakes (17g Protein, 100 cals & 3carbs each &) & I've even been known to add an extra scoop of unflavored Protein Powder to those. I know I'm not losing at any miraculous rate, but I'm plugging along & feel really well :). Thx again!

NMJG, I haven't been eating that much to this point (about 650 cals/day), although my doc said from very early on that I seemed to have very little inflammation & he definitely moved me to soft foods (if I wanted to) quickly. I think I have had mostly slider-ish food up to this point, though--It's consisted of a lot of Plain Greek yogurt with low carb vanilla Protein powder added & low-carb Soups with unflavored protein added. A scrambled egg here & there & a little bit of tuna w avocado definitely made me feel my restriction. I have been to a few holiday parties where I've had a teaspoon of warm (high calorie-but-low-carb) artichoke dip a couple of times. I did the sleeve mostly to get my blood pressure, cholesterol & blood sugar down and they have all already improved a GREAT deal (yay), so (now that my main gal of better health is materializing I want to be extra careful to reduce in the most healthful way possible even if it takes me longer to get to goal. I just wasn't sure if a little higher calorie pan was more healthful if a person was willing to be a slow loser, but it's seeming like the 600-800 calorie approach is the gold standard :). Thanks much for replying :)!

Mmmmm artichoke dip :) Sounds like you are doing really well in what you are eating, congrats on that. Holidays are soooo hard for me.

TexasFire , I thought I'd replied to your post (thanks for responding, btw!). There is a weird dish that I found I liked right after surgery... 2oz of plain no- fat Greek yogurt with a scoop of EAS vanilla shake powder - probably not to the taste of many, but to me it tastes like a sort of cake batter my grandma used to make and it goes down easily;)! I also really like EAS carb- control ready-to-drink shakes (17g Protein, 100 cals & 3carbs each &) & I've even been known to add an extra scoop of unflavored Protein powder to those. I know I'm not losing at any miraculous rate, but I'm plugging along & feel really well :). Thx again!

Oh, that's just fine. I had responded to someone elsewhere about the same thing (yogurt)...maybe we were both on another thread? I've been so busy here and at home that I don't recall! LOL I do the same thing with regular vanilla yogurt...greek yogurt makes me gag. Sounds like you are doing just fine, though. I still say stick with the plan...nag, nag, nag, huh? LOL I'll be glad to hear how you're doing in the new year after we navigate the holidays!

Edited by mistysj