Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgeon Doesn't Require A Pre-Op Diet?

I was fast tracked for surgery - less than 30 days from my 1st dr.'s appointment till sugery, so I was only on a 1 week pre-op liquid diet. I wasn't able to stay completely on liquids. I drank the shakes and only ate Protein - no carbs. I lost 10lbs in 7 days by staying low carb.

Teachamy, I'm having a hard time not eating everything in sight at the moment. It's how Ihave always prepared for restrictive eating to come:/ Joatsaint, I hear ya. I wouldn't be having surgery if I could do it on my own! Did you eat anything you wanted up until surgery?

Right redwillow?! I see, saint!

Right redwillow?! I see, saint!

I was a little surprised when my nut told my my surgeon doesn't require a special pre-op diet. They want me to follow what I've been doing to lose my 5% with the nut, but other than that no all liquid or anything! Is it just because he's very experienced and a pioneer in the field and isn't worried about knicking my liver? I'm wondering why he wouldn't want to play it safe...

My sugeon didn't have me doing any liquid diet, just wanted me to lose 5 lbs in the month prior to surgery. I did very well with surgery and recovery has gone well overall. As far as you wondering why he wouldn't want to "play it safe" I think that he likely is playing it safe as far as he sees it. My doc felt that t here were some cardiac arrhythmias that are brought on by too severe a diet and they were more dangerous and hard to manage during a surgery than getting a little more trimming of the liver. Your doc wants you to be safe, and for the surgery to go well without complications. As the doc why they don't do the special diets and put your mind at rest. Best wishes with your surgery.

My doctor adjusts the diet according to BMI. It is all liquid though, actually Protein shakes. The norm is 2 weeks but he said I only have to do 2 days. The reason they do it is for multiple reasons. The diet allows your liver to shrink which allows better manipulation while the surgeon operated. Also, it prepares your body for the large change. I think that this is a physical and mental change. You are preparing your stomach and mind for a restricted diet. I could imagine that if this wasn't a requirement people would be eating the night before like they were on death row and ready for execution.

My doctor prescribes preop diets based on BMI. Mine was 36, and I had no preop, but I was under strict orders to not gain or they wouldn't operate on my surgery date. Others in my "class" had specific preop diets to follow in order to shrink their liver.

Mine didn't either...Only 2 days of Clear Liquids, but i did however lose 5 pounds on my own before my 2 days of pre-op...

Some surgeon's don't require it, so if yours is one of them, trust that he knows what he's doing...

You'll be just fine...I'm 13 days post op down 20 pounds!

Go Get Your Life! :rolleyes:

Numenow

My doc said no pre op..i did meet with a nut to go over the eating protocol after the surgery and the various phases of eating till I eat reg food. I did ask why no preop..was told only those that had to be a lower weight for surgery due to greater risks. My nut / doc does not want me to depend on shakes after I start eating regular foods either. (After 5 weeks of surgery) .

I was 397lbs on the day of my surgery. My dr didn't require any pre op either. We don't see NUT here on the NHS in the UK before or after surgery unless you pay privately. All I was given was a sheet post op saying what they considered soft/puréed/etc. I just think it's completely down to the surgeon and his team and their protocols. I was a bit shocked I wasn't required to do anything pre op.

I have been in a six month managed plan where I have lost 40 pounds. The Surgeon is not requiring a pre op diet because he believes the weight loss during the last six months has easily shrunk my liver. He is not worried at all about it at all

Mine required nothing but liquids for 2 days before the surgery to clean me out so he could simply DO the surgery. No post op diet required. I guess that's why when someone says "OMG, I drank nothing but liquids for a week but ate a double quarter pounder with cheese with extra bacon and a side of crisco that doubled as ketchup" I don't get terribly judgy about it because once you're sleeved you can kiss that behavior goodbye for at least a year.

Mine required nothing but liquids for 2 days before the surgery to clean me out so he could simply DO the surgery. No post op diet required. I guess that's why when someone says "OMG, I drank nothing but liquids for a week but ate a double quarter pounder with cheese with extra bacon and a side of crisco that doubled as ketchup" I don't get terribly judgy about it because once you're sleeved you can kiss that behavior goodbye for at least a year.

It's not even necessary to do liquids two days before! My surgeon did the surgery just fine! He stopped any food or liquid intake at midnight the night before surgery. I ate "regular" food up until midnight, just smaller portions and high protein/low carb so as to shrink any fatty liver.

My surgeon had no pre-op diet, only a "liquids only" 1 day before surgery and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I'm always fascinated to learn about the variance between surgeons and pre/post diet plans since it seems like there is no single rule to any of this.

My surgeon had no pre-op diet, only a "liquids only" 1 day before surgery and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I'm always fascinated to learn about the variance between surgeons and pre/post diet plans since it seems like there is no single rule to any of this.

Good morning gorgeous! You're right, there is no real "rule" to any of this. Everyone is different. Every surgeon instructs people to do what they think is best. Sometimes its sound advice, sometimes I'm like "whoa" when I see people post some of the crazy stuff they have to do.

I know how you feel, Sleever 427. I ate a ton of food on Thanksgiving weekend. Every left-over and dessert in sight. Couldn't help myself! Now it's Dec. 4th and my pre-op diet begins. I feel better already. And I like to record everything on My Fitness Pal. I am weird that way! <_<

Good morning gorgeous! You're right, there is no real "rule" to any of this. Everyone is different. Every surgeon instructs people to do what they think is best. Sometimes its sound advice, sometimes I'm like "whoa" when I see people post some of the crazy stuff they have to do.

LOL, and this is why you're my favorite! :)

As far as instructions, I totally agree. I think my take-away has been "our doctors all have different plans and rules, but that doesn't make my doctor any better or more right than yours," or something like that. I've been mentally compiling a list of all the things my surgeon does differently and I've come to the conclusion that she's quite liberal as far as pre/post op rules. Plus she's brilliant, so I just stick her to plan all the time!