Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2014 Sleevers Come In!

Surgery went well yesterday. I am in Roanoke, VA at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. I slept most of yesterday and was on good pain meds. Gas not too bad (just burping) yet but Ive only had mouth swabs so far. Should start liquids today. That will probably change things. Started my TOM the evening before surgery. I hear that is not uncommon. Stress I am sure. My tummy is growling and is ready for something to happen food wise. Not sure if I will go home today or tomorrow. Its still vety early. I will update later!

Surgery went well yesterday. I am in Roanoke, VA at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. I slept most of yesterday and was on good pain meds. Gas not too bad (just burping) yet but Ive only had mouth swabs so far. Should start liquids today. That will probably change things. Started my TOM the evening before surgery. I hear that is not uncommon. Stress I am sure. My tummy is growling and is ready for something to happen food wise. Not sure if I will go home today or tomorrow. Its still vety early. I will update later!

Congratulations! ! Mine in tomorrow morning and the nerves have set in. I cried my self to sleep last night cause I was gittery

Congratulations! ! Mine in tomorrow morning and the nerves have set in. I cried my self to sleep last night cause I was glittery. I am so excited but surgery always freaks me out. Keep us posted on how things go. So happy for you!!

I'll join you guys about 1pm today! It's crazy that it's finally here for us! January 21st-- the start of our new lives!

Sorry I didn't respond for a few days-- with travel and then pre op appts for 4 hours yesterday, haven't logged on here! I travelled with my

Mom and sister, both who are very supportive!

I'm not nervous yet but my stomach is growling and my stomach is crampy (I'm on my period. I know, how lucky am I!!)

See you guys on the other side!

I am already home! Went in at 5am on Monday and home by noon on Tuesday. I did great. My doc said all had gone flawlessly and there was no reason to keep me there. I live about 20 minutes from the hospital, so I felt fine about leaving. Am up to 3 oz. Per hour and only a little gas pain. Sleepy but not in pain. He gave me Lortab and Oxycodone. But so far I've only needed the Lortab. It's good to know I have the other if needed.

The pain is kind of a gnawing pain like hunger but harder. There is some soreness in my belly, but mostly when I cough or move suddenly. In a resting position I am comfortable. My throat has been really sore from being intabated and I needed chloraseptic to numb it. Also biotene spray was a great move. It kept the dry mouth at bay. I took a sleep mask and earplugs and the staff told me I was a brilliant patient. I hope this helps someone! :)

I am already home! Went in at 5am on Monday and home by noon on Tuesday. I did great. My doc said all had gone flawlessly and there was no reason to keep me there. I live about 20 minutes from the hospital, so I felt fine about leaving. Am up to 3 oz. Per hour and only a little gas pain. Sleepy but not in pain. He gave me Lortab and Oxycodone. But so far I've only needed the Lortab. It's good to know I have the other if needed.

The pain is kind of a gnawing pain like hunger but harder. There is some soreness in my belly, but mostly when I cough or move suddenly. In a resting position I am comfortable. My throat has been really sore from being intabated and I needed chloraseptic to numb it. Also biotene spray was a great move. It kept the dry mouth at bay. I took a sleep mask and earplugs and the staff told me I was a brilliant patient. I hope this helps someone! :)

I am so glad things went well. I just finished packing my bag. I check in at 6am!! I am a bag of nerves but so so excited.

You will do great. Just relax and let the pros do their jobs!! Congrats and I will see you on the other side!

I am already home! Went in at 5am on Monday and home by noon on Tuesday. I did great. My doc said all had gone flawlessly and there was no reason to keep me there. I live about 20 minutes from the hospital, so I felt fine about leaving. Am up to 3 oz. Per hour and only a little gas pain. Sleepy but not in pain. He gave me Lortab and Oxycodone. But so far I've only needed the Lortab. It's good to know I have the other if needed. The pain is kind of a gnawing pain like hunger but harder. There is some soreness in my belly, but mostly when I cough or move suddenly. In a resting position I am comfortable. My throat has been really sore from being intabated and I needed chloraseptic to numb it. Also biotene spray was a great move. It kept the dry mouth at bay. I took a sleep mask and earplugs and the staff told me I was a brilliant patient. I hope this helps someone! :)

Glad to hear you are doing so well! It makes me feel more optimistic to hear great positive stories. I was sleeved this morning and I know what you mean about the gnawing pain! They came in to listen to my tummy a little bit ago, and I told her there was a whole lot of action going on in there!

Unfortunately, I'm sad to report that after completing everything including my hospital pre admission testing this morning, I found out this afternoon that my surgery is officially a no go for Monday :(...I'm completely devastated and I'm having a hard time coping with my insurance companies "pre-existing clause" denial...how unfair!! Now I have to wait another 8 months before they'll allow me to start the process over again!! Not only have I spent a small fortune on co-pays and non-covered pre-admission testing, but I called them back in August to ensure I was covered and they reassured me I was good to go!! This just seems so unethical that Cigna can get away with this nonsense! Unfortunately, I have an up and coming employment transition taking place soon so I don't anticipate having this coverage in the near future & my new employer may not cover WLS..hopefully my Dr can figure out a way for me to self pay cause I refuse to quit after all this work!! Any support out there? Think I need a little pick me up and positive prayers..I'm so heartbroken! :(

I am so sorry! Hang in there and turn to God, He will make a way!!!

Time4change- definitely look into self pay! I wonder if your insurance dropped the bariatric coverage January 1st when Obama care began? You've already taken soooo many steps to prepare yourself and out of pocket costs for surgery. Def ask about self pay! I'd suggest home equity loan, personal loan, borrow from 401-k, care credit... I will think wonderful thoughts for you!! What a disappointment for you but it's not over!!

So sorry to hear this. Insurance in this country has become a true nightmare. Did your insurance have a rider? What was the denial reason? Have you pushed your case to a medical review nurse?? You can request it be reviewed and an explanation given. This could at least give you a better foundation for next time. Don't give up. Give it over to God and ask for his help. I will pray for you too. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I'm sad to report that after completing everything including my hospital pre admission testing this morning, I found out this afternoon that my surgery is officially a no go for Monday :(...I'm completely devastated and I'm having a hard time coping with my insurance companies "pre-existing clause" denial...how unfair!! Now I have to wait another 8 months before they'll allow me to start the process over again!! Not only have I spent a small fortune on co-pays and non-covered pre-admission testing, but I called them back in August to ensure I was covered and they reassured me I was good to go!! This just seems so unethical that Cigna can get away with this nonsense! Unfortunately, I have an up and coming employment transition taking place soon so I don't anticipate having this coverage in the near future & my new employer may not cover WLS..hopefully my Dr can figure out a way for me to self pay cause I refuse to quit after all this work!! Any support out there? Think I need a little pick me up and positive prayers..I'm so heartbroken! :(

you should try www.wlsappeals.com perhaps they can help navigate around the insurance problems. Good luck