Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision Surgery Wait Time Between Band To Sleeve

There is a higher rate of complications and difficult recovery when a revision is done in one surgery IF there is a history of band complications with the patient.

I'm in Australia. Dr Dolan took my band out 3weeks ago. I am booked in for the sleeve in 5weeks. He is extremely experienced in revisions.

I am so happy without my band, but have piled on 5kgs in 3weeks. So unhappy about that!!!!!

Me too. I keep eating like there's no tomorrow. No control...urgggggg

I'm in Australia. Dr Dolan took my band out 3weeks ago. I am booked in for the sleeve in 5weeks. He is extremely experienced in revisions.

I am so happy without my band, but have piled on 5kgs in 3weeks. So unhappy about that!!!!!

I'm in Australia. Dr Dolan took my band out 3weeks ago.

I'm in Australia. Dr Dolan took my band out 3weeks ago.

Mum of two, are you in Perth? I have made enquiries with Dr Dolan. I had my band put in by Dr Armstrong in 2007 and removed by him 3 weeks ago. He wants me to wait at least 6 months (which I will do) but I felt like he was trying to talk me out of it altogether. So I have emailed all the surgeons in Perth I could google to find out how many revisions they have done. I live in the Kimberley and so it's a little more tricky for appointments etc.

I'm in Australia. Dr Dolan took my band out 3weeks ago. Mum of two, are you in Perth? I have made enquiries with Dr Dolan. I had my band put in by Dr Armstrong in 2007 and removed by him 3 weeks ago. He wants me to wait at least 6 months (which I will do) but I felt like he was trying to talk me out of it altogether. So I have emailed all the surgeons in Perth I could google to find out how many revisions they have done. I live in the Kimberley and so it's a little more tricky for appointments etc.

Yes Midijola, I'm in Perth.

I think 6mths is a bit excessive, especially as I'm gaining weight In between the surgeries.

Dr Dolan is great.

I think 6mths is a bit excessive,

Yes I agree, I think it is too, but I will wait it out. I kinda have to now as I flew down to have the band removed anticipating a 3month wait to have the sleeve done in January, taking a week off work. However, after he removed it he thinks I need to wait at least 6 months. So now when we are down for Christmas I will see either my surgeon or another one to book in for April. I have to work around school holidays as I am a teacher.

I am just trying to research a surgeon that perhaps have done the most revision surgeries. My surgeon I know has done a lot and only puts sleeves in now and only takes bands out, he said he only put one band in, in the last 12 months. I said I wished I had a sleeve done instead of a band and he said it was still very new then (2007), that the band was the main option. Also I was still in Perth at that time. I have had to go up to Darwin for a fill adjustment cos its closer, but being remote is inconvenient for a band.

Me too. I keep eating like there's no tomorrow. No control...urgggggg

I'm in Australia. Dr Dolan took my band out 3weeks ago. I am booked in for the sleeve in 5weeks. He is extremely experienced in revisions.I am so happy without my band, but have piled on 5kgs in 3weeks. So unhappy about that!!!!!

Because of such severe damage I had to wait 18 months and gain over 80 pounds. Hated myself.. but look at me now.. it all worked out and I'm alive and so healthy

I had my band for about 18 months an I loved it lost 70lbs with it, then a few months ago I started vomiting and could not keep anything down, have an upper GI done and show that I had a hiatal hernia and needed to get my been removed. My doctor was going to do the sleeve revision at that time but I just wanted my band out, thought I could keep the weight off by myself but I am slowly gaining it back. And my lap been out August of 2013 just found out I was approved for the sleeve. I am nervous because my doctor said that if there's too much scarring from the lapband and he can't do the sleeve he may have to do gastric bypass.

Hi all,

I have decided to see another surgeon for a second opinion. Thanks LivelyTerry for suggesting it. I am booked to see him next month, hopefully he will book me for surgery in April. (I am a teacher and that is when the next school holidays fall, so that I can take minimal time off work.) Also I will wait the 6 months my original surgeon suggested. Will keep you posted.

I had the band to sleeve done in one procedure. I had my lap band for three years and threw up anything I ate or drank. Being a nurse, I knew scar tissue gets worse with every time they open you up and the recover is longer so I knew I wanted a surgeon that was very experienced in revisions so I started doing research on who could do it at the same time. I called the Bariatric Coordinator at one of the major hospitals here in Atlanta and asked her who does most revisions, told her what I wanted and she gave me a personal recommendation. On December 20th I had band out and sleeve in which my surgeon took a little over an hour to complete. I went home the next day with hardly any pain and felt as if I had only done too many sit ups. My advice to you all is use your resources, ask around, and know that it's ok to get a second opinion. Keep in mind each of our stories is unique!

I live in Milwaukie, OR have had the band since Dec 2005 - having it removed and revision to sleeve on Dec 31st. I am very excited. I lost 90 lbs with the band but then had issues with my fills was always either too tight or too loose. I threw up constantly. Then had an occassion where my stomach went over the band. My process when from Oct - Dec. I jumped through a lot of hoops and made most of my appts as many as possible on one day. Had to do Welcome Group, Phys Therapy, physc appt and 2 sleep studies and a C-PAP machine but am now done. Praying all goes well with removing band and doing sleeve all at once.

Thank you for all who participate in these support threads they are so helpful.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I just found out today my Dr won't do the revision in one surgery. I was so angry. I was never told this. I'm so frustrated. So much time wasted. I have been deflated since October 18th. Why didn't they tell me this I'm getting married in April and wanted to lose a nice amount of weight. Trying not to let it ruin my holiday.

I'm so sorry Niki but DON'T give up!

Keep on top with the Dr and pester them as much as you can and ask if there is anything you can do...never accept the first "no" keep at it.

Hang in there...Debbie

Thanks Debbie. Having the band removed 1/30/14 then just gonna wait till after the wedding to have the sleeve. Too many things at once.