Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling With Carbs During Pre-Op Liquid Diet

So I'm just finishing day 2 of my 8 day pre-op liquid diet. My surgeon didn't give me a specific meal plan, just examples of what I could eat, and what I should not eat. Basically the "do not eat" column lists things like anything chewable, no caffeine, no carbonated beverages, etc...The okay column he does list things like sugar free jello/pudding, skim milk, 0% MF Yogurt, broth based Soups, cream based soups (strained), and shakes such as Boost/Ensure high Protein, instant Breakfast shakes and such (which are higher in carbs then say a premiere protein shake).

The only specifics are that I am to have 800-1200 calories a day, and 60-80g of protein, but said nothing regarding carbs. I'm hitting my calorie and protein goals no problem coming in between 1000-1150 calories each day, and right around 80-85g of protein per day, but my carbs are around 150. I've seen lots of posts here that you should be way lower then that to help the liver prepare for surgery. My issue is that I am a type II diabetic and when I try to reduce my carbs further then this I have periods where I become hypoglycemic (which has never happened to me in my 10 years of being diabetic...I'm always in the high range).

I guess I'm just confused on how to proceed as I only have 6 days left of my liquid diet before surgery and I'm thinking that keeping my carb count this high isn't helping things. I was told during my pre-op assessment to not take my diabetic meds the day of my surgery so my blood sugar doesn't get too low. Maybe I need to talk to my family physician and see about coming off some more meds so I can lower my daily carbs count without crashing...*confused* :huh:

My preop diet was not an all-liquid diet but I was required to stay under 20g of carbs per day....which is basically no carbs. Given your diabetes, I would definitely check with your regular doctor, as well as the surgeon's office, about the safest way for you to get through the next week. Good luck!

My understanding is that the purpose of the pre-op diet is to deplete the excess glycogen and fat storage in the liver, thereby shrinking it to make it safer for the surgery. Therefore a high-Protein, low-carb, low-fat liquid (or semi-solid) diet must be followed for 10-14 days prior. Although I have since learned that not all surgeons require this... some require more, almost a month. Some require none at all. Mine is ten days and I start this coming weekend. I've heard stories of people going in and being opened up, only to be closed again because the liver is still too large... erf! :blink:

Maybe you should consult with your surgeon and ask for clarity on their instructions, regardless of what other info is out there, especially since you are a diabetic and may have special dietary requirements.

Just wanted to follow up to my OP. I talked with my surgeons office today, who in turn spoke with my nut and they both followed up with me. According to them I am on track and should be between 800-1200 calories, 60-80g Protein, and my nut says I am good with the 150g of carbs. I questioned her regarding glycogen in the liver and it not shrinking enough prior to surgery, but she was telling me with the reduced caloric intake and already reduced carbs, I should be fine. Talked to family physician and they had me reduce some of my diabetes oral meds already!

Wow that is awesome. A diet like that is already pretty typical for me on a daily basis. With an occastional bad day or two here and there haha... Which is why I second guess this surgery because if I can't lose by staying by under 1200 calories a day then I must really need to completely starve. But that's a whole other topic :/

Anyway good luck to you, sounds like you're gonna do fine.