Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Compulsive Overeating

And I am not nearly so exhausted trying to control everything, feel like I have stepped out of a three ring circus for the first time in years

Must go and live life today..

Including getting blood tests to show everything is good and in track :)

But I wanted to put this out there..

This is me. I'm doing well, but this is me :)

I have OCD and it may make things a little more challenging at times..

Thank you for indulging me :)

Compulsive overeating, also sometimes called food addiction, is characterized by the compulsive eating of food. Professionals address this with either a behavior therapy model or a food-addiction model.[1]

An individual suffering from compulsive overeating engages in frequent episodes of uncontrolled eating, or binge eating, during which she or he may feel frenzied or out of control, often consuming food past the point of being comfortably full. Bingeing in this way is generally followed by feelings of guilt and depression. Unlike individuals with bulimia, compulsive overeaters do not attempt to compensate for their bingeing with purging behaviors such as fasting, laxative use, or vomiting. Compulsive overeaters will typically eat when they are not hungry. Their obsession is demonstrated in that they spend excessive amounts of time and thought devoted to food, and secretly plan or fantasize about eating alone. Compulsive overeating usually leads to weight gain and obesity, but is not the only cause of obesity. While compulsive overeaters tend to be overweight or obese, persons of normal or average weight can also be affected.

In addition to binge eating, compulsive overeaters can also engage in grazing behavior, during which they return to pick at food throughout the day. These things result in a large overall number of calories consumed even if the quantities eaten at any one time may be small. When a compulsive eater overeats primarily through bingeing, he or she can be said to have binge eating disorder.

Signs and symptoms

Binge eating, or eating uncontrollably even when not physically hungry

Eating much more rapidly than normal

Eating alone due to shame and embarrassment

Feelings of guilt due to overeating

Preoccupation with body weight

Depression or mood swings

Awareness that eating patterns are abnormal

Rapid weight gain or sudden onset of obesity

Significantly decreased mobility due to weight gain

History of weight fluctuations

Withdrawal from activities because of embarrassment about weight

History of many different unsuccessful diets

Eating little in public, but maintaining a high body weight

Very low self-esteem and feeling need to eat greater and greater amounts.

Addiction

During binges, compulsive overeaters may consume from 5,000 to 15,000 food calories daily, resulting in a temporary release from psychological stress through an addictive high not unlike that experienced through drug abuse. In bulimics, this high may be intensified by the act of purging. Researchers have speculated there is an abnormality of endorphin metabolism in the brain of binge eaters that triggers the addictive process. This is in line with other theories of addiction that attribute it not to avoidance of withdrawal symptoms, but to a primary problem in the reward centers of the brain. For the compulsive overeater, the ingestion of trigger foods causes release of the neurotransmitter, serotonin. This could be another sign of neurobiological factors contributing to the addictive process. Abstinence from addictive food and food eating processes causes withdrawal symptoms in those with eating disorders. There may be higher levels of depression and anxiety due to the decreased levels of serotonin in the individual.[2]

There are complexities with the biology of compulsive eating that separate it from a pure substance abuse analogy. Food is a complex mixture of chemicals that can affect the body in multiple ways, which is magnified by stomach-brain communication. In some ways, it may be much more difficult for compulsive overeaters to recover than drug addicts. There is an anecdotal saying among Overeaters Anonymous members that "when you are addicted to drugs you put the tiger in the cage to recover; when you are addicted to food you put the tiger in the cage, but take it out three times a day for a walk."[2]

The physical explanation of compulsive overeating may be attributed to an overeaters' increased tendency to secrete insulin at the sight and smell of food, though medical evidence supporting this is controversial.[3] Research has found a link between the sugar and fat content of foods and bingeing behaviors.[4]

Must go and live life today..

Including getting blood tests to show everything is good and in track :)

But I wanted to put this out there..

This is me. I'm doing well, but this is me :)

I have OCD and it may make things a little more challenging at times..

Thank you for indulging me :)

Compulsive overeating, also sometimes called food addiction, is characterized by the compulsive eating of food. Professionals address this with either a behavior therapy model or a food-addiction model.[1]

An individual suffering from compulsive overeating engages in frequent episodes of uncontrolled eating, or binge eating, during which she or he may feel frenzied or out of control, often consuming food past the point of being comfortably full. Bingeing in this way is generally followed by feelings of guilt and depression. Unlike individuals with bulimia, compulsive overeaters do not attempt to compensate for their bingeing with purging behaviors such as fasting, laxative use, or vomiting. Compulsive overeaters will typically eat when they are not hungry. Their obsession is demonstrated in that they spend excessive amounts of time and thought devoted to food, and secretly plan or fantasize about eating alone. Compulsive overeating usually leads to weight gain and obesity, but is not the only cause of obesity. While compulsive overeaters tend to be overweight or obese, persons of normal or average weight can also be affected.

In addition to binge eating, compulsive overeaters can also engage in grazing behavior, during which they return to pick at food throughout the day. These things result in a large overall number of calories consumed even if the quantities eaten at any one time may be small. When a compulsive eater overeats primarily through bingeing, he or she can be said to have binge eating disorder.

Signs and symptoms

Binge eating, or eating uncontrollably even when not physically hungry

Eating much more rapidly than normal

Eating alone due to shame and embarrassment

Feelings of guilt due to overeating

Preoccupation with body weight

Depression or mood swings

Awareness that eating patterns are abnormal

Rapid weight gain or sudden onset of obesity

Significantly decreased mobility due to weight gain

History of weight fluctuations

Withdrawal from activities because of embarrassment about weight

History of many different unsuccessful diets

Eating little in public, but maintaining a high body weight

Very low self-esteem and feeling need to eat greater and greater amounts.

Addiction

During binges, compulsive overeaters may consume from 5,000 to 15,000 food calories daily, resulting in a temporary release from psychological stress through an addictive high not unlike that experienced through drug abuse. In bulimics, this high may be intensified by the act of purging. Researchers have speculated there is an abnormality of endorphin metabolism in the brain of binge eaters that triggers the addictive process. This is in line with other theories of addiction that attribute it not to avoidance of withdrawal symptoms, but to a primary problem in the reward centers of the brain. For the compulsive overeater, the ingestion of trigger foods causes release of the neurotransmitter, serotonin. This could be another sign of neurobiological factors contributing to the addictive process. Abstinence from addictive food and food eating processes causes withdrawal symptoms in those with eating disorders. There may be higher levels of depression and anxiety due to the decreased levels of serotonin in the individual.[2]

There are complexities with the biology of compulsive eating that separate it from a pure substance abuse analogy. Food is a complex mixture of chemicals that can affect the body in multiple ways, which is magnified by stomach-brain communication. In some ways, it may be much more difficult for compulsive overeaters to recover than drug addicts. There is an anecdotal saying among Overeaters Anonymous members that "when you are addicted to drugs you put the tiger in the cage to recover; when you are addicted to food you put the tiger in the cage, but take it out three times a day for a walk."[2]

The physical explanation of compulsive overeating may be attributed to an overeaters' increased tendency to secrete insulin at the sight and smell of food, though medical evidence supporting this is controversial.[3] Research has found a link between the sugar and fat content of foods and bingeing behaviors.[4]

Of the symptoms, I can say yes to all but three. I'm blessed never to have had low self esteem or depression issues, and I ate like a "normal" person publicly before, but not MY normal.

I absolutely have an addictive personality, too. This is a huge reason why I never experimented with any substances in college. I knew that would be a HUGE mistake. Thankfully, I was self aware enough to stay away from that.

Yes my son is wonderful and creative and I wouldn't trade that for "normalcy." His co morbid is ADHD which has turned out to be a pain to treat because most medications can aggravate the tics, so we are still trying to get that right. His neurologist seems to think it might get better over time. He is however very moody lol.

Gosh, to have OCD with Tourette's is a struggle at times....but is manageable with meds.

LV it sounds like your son has a wonderful caring mom and dad that are always be there for him.....:P

Such joys...i do believe that OCD can also be a learned behavior too.......it's just retraining ourselves once we are aware of what's going on. :P

Gosh, to have OCD with Tourette's is a struggle at times....but is manageable with meds. LV it sounds like your son has a wonderful caring mom and dad that are always be there for him.....:P Such joys...i do believe that OCD can also be a learned behavior too.......it's just retraining ourselves once we are aware of what's going on. :P

Its part of what makes him unique and unstoppable.. He will accomplish big things.

Shit he already has.. Lol I don't know half of what that kid is talking about most times :P

He can get bogged down in the details sometimes and at age 11 sometimes puts to much pressure on himself to produce (produce what I do not know) and invent.

I get him though, with his obsessive thought process.

I sometimes feel paralyzed in my thoughts and behaviors..

Gosh, to have OCD with Tourette's is a struggle at times....but is manageable with meds. LV it sounds like your son has a wonderful caring mom and dad that are always be there for him..... :P Such joys...i do believe that OCD can also be a learned behavior too.......it's just retraining ourselves once we are aware of what's going on. :P

Its part of what makes him unique and unstoppable.. He will accomplish big things.

**** he already has.. Lol I don't know half of what that kid is talking about most times :P

He can get bogged down in the details sometimes and at age 11 sometimes puts to much pressure on himself to produce (produce what I do not know) and invent.

I get him though, with his obsessive thought process.

I sometimes feel paralyzed in my thoughts and behaviors..

He's a really smart kid! :P

I experience obsessive thoughts about food and then I give in. Not as much now as I did in the past...I just want to quit thinking about food and eat to live, not live to eat.....Before the surgery I had a epiphany that we really don't need much food to live on. That was a profound moment...I wish I could recapture and put my thoughts on something more productive...:P

It's what I'm struggling with as I get further out..

The thinking obsessively about food..

Not acting as much as days before surgery but thinking more than I want too.

food is fuel only, I've not gotten there yet in my head.

And I find (though I don't match up with a lot of these symptoms, I live with two who do) that eating mindfully can easily trip over into full on obsession if one is not careful.

Success to me looks like logging food but not thinking too hard about it (not trying to game the system, so to speak); planning meals but from the fuel and enjoyment sides equally; getting to exercise classes but not obsessing over how many calories I burned…and etc.

Ouch.....I really identify with alot of those symptoms. Sadly. I was, and still am, a sneaky eater. Not like before....but it's still there.

A big example is something that's coming up....that I'm dreading. At Xmas, we'll go to the inlaws' for a few days. And they will make big food feasts 3 times a day...always with leftovers. You cannot walk through the kitchen without good food sitting right there on the counter 24/7. And I can't seem to pass through without grabbing something. I cannot keep my hands in my pocket. Being hungry has nothing to do with it. It's so stressful for me, that I actually dread the whole visit and do not look forward to the holiday any more.

I resent them for making everything such a food centered event, but I resent myself more for not being able to resist.

It's what I'm struggling with as I get further out..

The thinking obsessively about food..

Not acting as much as days before surgery but thinking more than I want too.

food is fuel only, I've not gotten there yet in my head.

That's my biggest fear!

Ouch.....I really identify with alot of those symptoms. Sadly. I was, and still am, a sneaky eater. Not like before....but it's still there.

A big example is something that's coming up....that I'm dreading. At Xmas, we'll go to the inlaws' for a few days. And they will make big food feasts 3 times a day...always with leftovers. You cannot walk through the kitchen without good food sitting right there on the counter 24/7. And I can't seem to pass through without grabbing something. I cannot keep my hands in my pocket. Being hungry has nothing to do with it. It's so stressful for me, that I actually dread the whole visit and do not look forward to the holiday any more.

I resent them for making everything such a food centered event, but I resent myself more for not being able to resist.

So, at what point after your surgery did you notice that it was harder and harder to resist? Right now, at almost 7 months, resisting is easy. Was it easy for you at first and then it changed? If so, when?

So, at what point after your surgery did you notice that it was harder and harder to resist? Right now, at almost 7 months, resisting is easy. Was it easy for you at first and then it changed? If so, when?

I think once eating got easy, that's when it got harder. I remember I just flipped my 1 year surgiversary....and I was training for a half marathon and really stressing about it. I was worried about my fitness level and not sure what my nutrition strategies ought to be. I was semi convinced I needed to eat more to help my running, and that I needed more carbs because conventional wisdom always says endurance athletes need carbs (which I now think is bunk but that's another thread). So I changed the way I was eating to increase my calories, including the carbs. And the more I did, the worse I ran and the more I stressed. Which led to snacking and having regular chocolate treats. I'm talking daily candy bars. The final 3 weeks before my half marathon I gained about 15 pounds. With all that running, you'd think that wouldn't be possible. Which of course stressed me even more.

Since then, I've figured out my nutrition strategies and I know what I need to do. But stress will still set me off. Sad part is, the "cheating" stresses me even more and leads to further "cheating"....it's a vicious cycle for me.

And it doesn't help that I can eat 2000 calories a day easily...even while eating clean. I've had a couple of 3000 calorie days. Those carbs offer no satiety at all to me.

I think once eating got easy, that's when it got harder. I remember I just flipped my 1 year surgiversary....and I was training for a half marathon and really stressing about it. I was worried about my fitness level and not sure what my nutrition strategies ought to be. I was semi convinced I needed to eat more to help my running, and that I needed more carbs because conventional wisdom always says endurance athletes need carbs (which I now think is bunk but that's another thread). So I changed the way I was eating to increase my calories, including the carbs. And the more I did, the worse I ran and the more I stressed. Which led to snacking and having regular chocolate treats. I'm talking daily candy bars. The final 3 weeks before my half marathon I gained about 15 pounds. With all that running, you'd think that wouldn't be possible. Which of course stressed me even more. Since then, I've figured out my nutrition strategies and I know what I need to do. But stress will still set me off. Sad part is, the "cheating" stresses me even more and leads to further "cheating"....it's a vicious cycle for me. And it doesn't help that I can eat 2000 calories a day easily...even while eating clean. I've had a couple of 3000 calorie days. Those carbs offer no satiety at all to me.

Thank you butter..

I think once eating got easy, that's when it got harder. I remember I just flipped my 1 year surgiversary....and I was training for a half marathon and really stressing about it. I was worried about my fitness level and not sure what my nutrition strategies ought to be. I was semi convinced I needed to eat more to help my running, and that I needed more carbs because conventional wisdom always says endurance athletes need carbs (which I now think is bunk but that's another thread). So I changed the way I was eating to increase my calories, including the carbs. And the more I did, the worse I ran and the more I stressed. Which led to snacking and having regular chocolate treats. I'm talking daily candy bars. The final 3 weeks before my half marathon I gained about 15 pounds. With all that running, you'd think that wouldn't be possible. Which of course stressed me even more.

Since then, I've figured out my nutrition strategies and I know what I need to do. But stress will still set me off. Sad part is, the "cheating" stresses me even more and leads to further "cheating"....it's a vicious cycle for me.

And it doesn't help that I can eat 2000 calories a day easily...even while eating clean. I've had a couple of 3000 calorie days. Those carbs offer no satiety at all to me.

Well, duhhhhh then!! Easy solution. No marathons!! Running and training is the culprit!! :P

No, really. Thank you for your insight. I need to learn from all of you that are so far ahead of me. I am still having difficulty with dense Protein, especially bird, ground beef and pork. Some days I can eat, some days I cannot. The restriction is fierce, sometimes too much so, but I like it. I worry about what will happen when it lets up, but at the same time, I am hoping I will never figure out that it did because I am trying to reign in the experimentation.

Keep sharing! I need it.

I eat... out of boredom... If I'm 'engaged' in something, I eat less.

Evenings.... bad.. very bad....