Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30-Day Plank Challenge: Who Is In For This One?

OK, I have been doing the planking thing as part of my physical therapy, but not doing it for as long as I can, rather, 30 seconds as shown here, but then rotating to each side. If I am feeling brave and balanced while on a side, I raise an arm and foot, but again, I only hold for 30 seconds, but that is enough!

Whew!

OK, I have been doing the planking thing as part of my physical therapy, but not doing it for as long as I can, rather, 30 seconds as shown here, but then rotating to each side. If I am feeling brave and balanced while on a side, I raise an arm and foot, but again, I only hold for 30 seconds, but that is enough! Whew!

So you want to join the challenge? It'll likely help you plank longer and you can cheer the rest of us on :)

So you want to join the challenge? It'll likely help you plank longer and you can cheer the rest of us on :)

Oh, sure, I'm in.

30 in the bag...:)

OK note to self don't plank with hubby in the room...He starts picking on me and I lose my concentration. Day 4 15 s plank... Hubby's fault!

Edited by TerryBelieves

180 s on my plank today. Need to stop doing this after the workout when my energy is depleted. Arg. Bad habit I guess. I will try tomorrow to find time in the morning when not tired from a workout.

WOOOT WOOOT. 35s today!! And shoes DO help! No slipping

WOOOT WOOOT. 35s today!! And shoes DO help! No slipping

great job!

OK note to self don't plank with hubby in the room...He starts picking on me and I lose my concentration. Day 4 15 s plank... Hubby's fault!

I have another tip. Try not to do it with the dog in the room. She comes over to lick my hair. So distracting! :)

I'll have to do this tomorrow. Only just made it hotel.

I have to plank barefoot otherwise I slip and hurt my back. Planking today, also Day 4 Insanity, thankfully it was a recuperative session but I was still quivering like Jello at the end! I think I'm going to up the ante on the planking though - bring each knee up to each armpit. I might halve the daily times for the challenge but I need compound exercises.

OK, so I went for duration on my first day instead of the 30 seconds per position I had been doing. In order, 15 second break in between.

Regular plank: 120 seconds

Right side: 30 seconds

Left side: 60 seconds

My right side plank has always been more difficult. Obviously, I am weaker there which I attribute directly to my surgery and I have noticed this in other aspects of my life, so I definitely need to focus there.

Thanks GG for giving me this challenge. I need it.

I have another tip. Try not to do it with the dog in the room. She comes over to lick my hair. So distracting! :) I'll have to do this tomorrow. Only just made it hotel.

love it! I have this issue also when doing @ home workouts with other dogs in the room that want to play when I am jumping around in a workout. Lol. My dog is usually cool about it and just mellows out while I do all the hard work.

Got a 320 s plank at lunch with my lifting shoes on. I am telling you, the shoes really make a difference so you are focused on core stability rather then feet issues (slipping, toe aching, etc). Will try a 400 s tomorrow. The problem for me is I get bored of holding the plank after a while, not tired, and lose my focus. After focus is lost, my motivation wanes and I drop (give up). Most fitness related stuff is like that. Focus separates the good from the great athletes (at least from my point of view). Lack of laser focus will produce mediocre results at best. I need something that will keep my interest, perhaps put on some of the running music. Wait. Hm. Maybe relaxing new age tranquil music would be better for planking.

Edited by Fiddleman

If you guys want to try another good core exercise in between planking for this challenge, try the hallow hold. This is where you are on your back, arms and legs are stretched out at about 45 degrees, and, most important, your lower back is glued against the floor. There should be no air between your lower back and the floor. Trust me, this is a challenging core exercise and might be kind of fun as a diversion from the plank (not to be done instead of). Start with holding for 30 s and go from there.

Here is a description and demonstration:

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/hollow-body

Edited by Fiddleman