Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapband and gallbladder

I found that at my ultrasound back in late January that I have gallstones, never had a problem with them. My doctor wanted to remove my gallbladder but I decided against it. I'm on my 2 week pre-op diet and I've been having a lot of heartburn and weird,slight pains on and off.

IF it is the gallbladder acting up or is inflammed will the doctor be able to see that when he "installs" my lapband? He won't do both surgeries at the same time. I just don't know if he'll be looking at that direction when he does the lapband. Does that make sense???

Sherri

Hi Sherri;

Been there...very common, however mostly from what I understand the Gallbladder problems generally start after you have lost the weight, not before hand. My GP told me before I even started losing the weight that I would have gallstones within the first year or so...he was correct. I have stones, but the bile in the gallbladder itself is still clear and thin, which means that it isn't necessary to have it removed yet. It inevitable though. I am just hoping that I am able to lose the remainder for my weight first and then have the op. I have been putting it off for about a year, so here's hoping. I find that as long as I stay away from anything naughty...like chocolate....I am AOKAY! Hope that this helps and good luck with the banding. I have been banded for 3+ years...and 125lbs lost.

POPT

Tracey

HI Tracey,

I think I'm so paranoid at this point!!! Every ache and pain I have I contribute to gallstones! Since I started the pre-op diet I've had so many different and strange aches and pains. Can't figure it out. Back pain, gas pain, heartburn & of course hunger pains! It's driving me crazy. Has anyone else had these same issues???? I hope I'm not the only crazy one here!

I had to get mine removed after surgery....never had any problems before but I had the weightloss and bam...oh the pain. I want to say that he can remove it at the same time. When I had gallbladder pains it was very obvious "i want to die" pains at the top of my stomach. It came on very fast and went away just as fast though the time in between could sometimes last from 10 min to 5 hours<---was horrible. So good luck and keep us posted.

Hi,

I had my gall bladder taken out the pains you are talkinig about sounds like mine was. My right side hurt really bad felt like I had gas bad, couldn't move that well, heartburn. Maybe you should tell your doctor. My Insur it states that if I need gall bladder taken out that the lapband could be done same time. I would get it checked out you wouldn't to be put back under after you just had your lapband done. Good luck

Julie

Sounds like the jury is in! Extreme weightloss and gallbladder problems seem to go hand in hand for some reason. I have opted to refrain from the surgery for the moment considering I am scheduled for a hysterectomy next month and abdominoplasty (fingers crossed) in the fall. I want to time my surgeries....(ridiculous I know) so that the most important ones are done first. When I read this back to myself I sound like a hypocondriac...(sp).....oh well priorities I suppose.

POPT

Tracey

I was banded 7-05 and in Dec I had my gall Bladder removed. Trust me when you have those attacks the idea of another surgery is worth it. My attacks would come out of nowhere and I handle pain very well but when they hit I was on the floor crying like a baby and I looked like a fish flopping around-It felt like something was tearing my insides out(childbirth was a breeze compared to this). My doc said it was because of the weight loss-I had an ultrasound and he thought it might have some sludge but when he took that joker out it was full of tiny stones. The surgery wasnt that bad I left the hospital the same day and in 2 days I was up truckin again!

Hey, maybe if you have gallstones when the doc goes in, you can write off part of your surgery to your insurance - that is, if you're self-pay. I was HOPING to get gall stones so I could get banded at the same time and save myself $6,000 for the anesthesia, operating room fees, etc.

My doctor wouldn't do the two at the same time, saying that it is improtant to keep the procedure sterile, and that removing the gallbladder and the "spilling" of the bile would be a problem. She always does the gb two weeks before the band. But yeah, most all insurances will cover the gb. Also, all the dr's I consulted felt the same way.

My surgeon removed my gallbladder at the same time as my lapband surgery. He said there was no point in coming back a year later for another surgery, which would inevitably happen since I already had gallstones. I did fine -- no problems and one set of scars.

Debbie