Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction Question

I had my first fill of 1cc in a 4cc band almost a week ago. I felt some restriction and was able to get full off of a small amount of food. I could really tell a difference.

Last night, I was having dinner, and all of a sudden I realized that I had eaten more than I have been able to. I felt no sensation of fullness like I had before. I took another bit and swallowed, nothing. I took a few bites more and swallowed, and still nothing. At that point, I just stopped eating. I ate quite a bit more than I had been able to since the fill and never felt that sense of fullness.

Ever since this has happened, I have been worried. I am worried that something is wrong and that I won't feel full anymore. My biggest worry is that I may gain weight.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Could it just be a one time thing?

Ok...here's a deep dark secret of bandsterhood. The band is a fickle, fickle thing. There have been times when I had zero restriction..and could eat a lot. Then sometimes I could hardly get a bite down. Both times, the problem resolved itself on its own.

I can only say it's probably something to do with retaining fluids in the tissues...up and down. It's just oddly normal.

I always have great restriction right after the fill, probably a little bit of swelling causes that. So, I can never gauge whether a fill was enough or not until at least a week after. I'd suspect from your description that you are like me and will need to wait a week or so post-fill before deciding if it was enough. I've had several fills and am still looking for the sweet spot...unfortunately it's a long process for many of us!

I am going in for a fill again tomorrow. I still feel that I don't have enough restriction. So, I am filling again about 2.5 weeks before I expected to.

I had my first fill of 1cc in a 4cc band almost a week ago. I felt some restriction and was able to get full off of a small amount of food. I could really tell a difference.

Last night, I was having dinner, and all of a sudden I realized that I had eaten more than I have been able to. I felt no sensation of fullness like I had before. I took another bit and swallowed, nothing. I took a few bites more and swallowed, and still nothing. At that point, I just stopped eating. I ate quite a bit more than I had been able to since the fill and never felt that sense of fullness.

Ever since this has happened, I have been worried. I am worried that something is wrong and that I won't feel full anymore. My biggest worry is that I may gain weight.

The only thing I noticed after my first fill was that I could not eat Breakfast and dry meat would stick.

Then it all changedf with my 2nd fill. I was too tight and could not get saliva down. I has to get some saline removed.

Now I know that I "react" to my fill each time. For the first week after the fill--- things get tight--- and then they seem to calm down and I am not nearly as tight.

I am loose right now and waiting to get in for a new fill.

You might be like me and can eat more in the evening. That is my loosest time of the day.

Let us know how it goes.

Well everyone seems to be doing great. I am a slow loser compared to many of you, but I am content with what I have lost. I rec'd a fill in Feb, but can eat only a little less than I did since the previous fill. Maybe I have not reached restriction, but I don't want to risk the chance of being overfilled either. I am going in for another fill in April. At that time, I'm thinking I will ask the doctor for only .5 cc. The reason being, during my last TOM, I felt extremely tight, and my restriction fluctuates from day to day. Odd, but true.

Well everyone seems to be doing great. I am a slow loser compared to many of you, but I am content with what I have lost. I rec'd a fill in Feb, but can eat only a little less than I did since the previous fill. Maybe I have not reached restriction, but I don't want to risk the chance of being overfilled either. I am going in for another fill in April. At that time, I'm thinking I will ask the doctor for only .5 cc. The reason being, during my last TOM, I felt extremely tight, and my restriction fluctuates from day to day. Odd, but true.

Better safe that sorry is how I live each day. I am not losing right now but I imagine I will when I get my next fill. It is frustrating but life with the band. Hang in there.

Been reading about other "first fills", and I'm a bit on the discouraged side. I've had my first fill on Monday the 19th, of only .5cc's. My nurse has the personality of a rock...and I was pretty nervous. Took MANY pokes (2 different needles) to find the port, then after all that, I can't even tell I've had a fill at all. I was restricting my portions, just because I knew I wasn't suppose to eat more than 2/3 cup at any one time. Evidently, had I told her I was able to eat 2-3 cups of food I would have been able to get a more agressive fill. Didn't know this was a game :)

Now I've begged for someones cancelled apt. to have another fill on Monday the 26th. I'm just mad that I have to go through all this again so soon. I had no vomiting, etc. so I can't figure what they're basing the fill amt. on. I have a low BMI (35) to begin with, so I would have thought I'd need a more agressive fill. Any thoughts how I can convey my need to get on the road to weight loss?

This still happened to me after my fifth fill. Good restriction for a week and then BAM, its gone.

Its extremely annoying!

When I got my first fill I had enough restriction that the 1/2 bottle of Water they wanted me to drink afterwards was feeling a little dicey. The nurse said not to worry if in about two weeks I felt as though the restriction went away. She said that was fairly common in first fills, and to see if I could go another two weeks before getting my second fill.

Sometimes part of the first fill gets absorbed into the band and you lose the restriction. The absorbtion does not usually happen in later fills.

So, I wouldn't worry if the band has slipped or anything. :biggrin1:

Good luck,

Jo Ann