Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is Skinny Anyways?

But to answer your question seriously, I'd say for men, 20-25% is "normal" or "average" to my eyes. What do you think about what looks "normal" for women?

Hmmm. Am I going to be sent to time out if I answer this incorrectly? In my younger years I would have said the 20 to 25 range but as I gain wisdom and appreciation of the finer things in life, I think the 30 to 35 is the most visually appealing. A woman should have curves....

Yeah, so my skin is a little saggy. Want to meet me outside and discuss it? :angry:

And before you take her up on it, you should know she's an MMA expert. Tae kwon doe and shite.

I want curves. I want to feel/look feminine and womanly.

What a great thread! Thanks to all of you. I had surgery 11/11/13 at a low BMI (33) and have lost 33% of my excess weight in 5 weeks. I am wrestling with (researching) how fast to try to go in my weight loss because my electronic scale w body fat measurement says I weigh 192 with 39% BF. I don't like how I look at 39%, so I want to do everything I can (including losing weight slowly) to get that down & not be a "skinny fat" girl (of age 50). Based on the photos (adjusted for age, stretch marks & deflated boobs, of course), I think I'll be happy in the 25-30 range. I amI mentally prepared to treat myself to a TT & breast lift down the road if need be, but I am spooked about implants because I don't want anything getting in the way of good mammograms (but that's just me :)).

Here are some pictures that have helped me determine what I want to look like. And one for the men too.

The problem with the pics is when I finally get to 35% (which is the one I liked the most) I won't look like that because of all my extra skin :(

The problem with the pics is when I finally get to 35% (which is the one I liked the most) I won't look like that because of all my extra skin :(

Well I'm at 33% and I don't look like that either. I have skin, belly jiggle, stretch marks from pregnancies etc. AND most importantly, I am not photo-shopped :) It's good to get a general feel from those but I look at all of it, arms, thighs,met to get a feel for the whole picture--and then I add reality.

I've lived life, and have the marks to prove it. I 'spect my wimmins will as well...

Ha! Victory!

I just changed my ticker to take back my inch. All the sudden I went from 27.98 BMI to 27.1 :)

Yesireee! I will take that!

I guess size DOES matter! :P

I went to see my dr and he said no fill yet b/c I was doing fine. I have list 26lbs since aug 23 2913 banding. He thinks I might be in the green zone. My BMI was 37.5 now is about 33.

My idea of skinny is when my stomach doesn't jiggle up and down or sideways when I move. Exercise has alot to do with it I know but losing the weight for me is to be able to be comfortable and not being models size. I would feel comfotable at 125 but I also felt comfortable at 145. So when I get to 160 or 150 I'll reevaluate and go from there. Sometimes it's a state of mind and not scale weight. As long as I feel good inside I'll feel good about my outside. But right now definitely need the weight loss.

Love this!

I'm at 37.7% and look close to the 30% + stretch marks, baggy saggy skin, etc. I think the 25% + reality is what I would consider as a goof estimate of where I want to be.

Plastics will never be an option, so I refuse to even think about it.

I don't want to be skinny, I want to be healthy. I want to be able to go hike in the mountains with my kids and not have to think about it (about if I CAN) I just want to go. I don't want my weight/size to be a thought when they want to go on adventures. I want to be able to just go.

The least I ever weighed as an adult (in my 30s) was 145.... for a minute. After years of thinking anything above that was fat, I felt normal at 145. I now (Im 60) bounce between 168-172... at goal with the desire to get the bounce range all under 169. I wear the same size I did at 145... I feel "normal" except the skin thing going on.... I think 145 would leave me skinny. I really don't think I want to go there again. I would like to feel normal... which I do, thank goodness, lots of work on the head over the last 25 years and the sleeve!