Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Band Has 4 Cc On It And I Was Not Aware Of It!

I just came from my doctor post surgery app and the doctor told me my band come with liquid 4 cc on it already is a 14cc band, no wonder I am not hungry at all and lost 10 pounds on 12 days post op , did anyone have the same band because I was told they come like that now?

I have a 14cc band, and at my first post-op appointment I was told it had no Fluid in it. Now I am wondering, perhaps what he said that they didn't ADD any. I will have to ask next week when I go in for post opp appointment 2. I lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks post op, but I am now in week 3 and I have plateaued and actually put a couple pounds back on. But as many people have suggested in these forums, it can be counterproductive to weigh yourself every day. Weighing as much as I do, I can fluctuate several pounds day to day and that is a small percentage of my overall weight. What I DO know, despite what my scale says. My pants are baggy and I have worn a couple pairs that I had stuck on a shelf, assuming I would probably never wear them again! My son was home last weekend for an event at my younger kids' school, and he said 'Dad, your suit is too big!' I will take that over moving down a notch on the scale any day!

The band doesn't "come with Fluid in it" however some doctors put Fluid in at surgery. The amount is up to the doctor.

Congrats on the great loss post op. Keep it up.

I have a 14cc band, and at my first post-op appointment I was told it had no Fluid in it. Now I am wondering, perhaps what he said that they didn't ADD any. I will have to ask next week when I go in for post opp appointment 2. I lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks post op, but I am now in week 3 and I have plateaued and actually put a couple pounds back on. But as many people have suggested in these forums, it can be counterproductive to weigh yourself every day. Weighing as much as I do, I can fluctuate several pounds day to day and that is a small percentage of my overall weight. What I DO know, despite what my scale says. My pants are baggy and I have worn a couple pairs that I had stuck on a shelf, assuming I would probably never wear them again! My son was home last weekend for an event at my younger kids' school, and he said 'Dad, your suit is too big!' I will take that over moving down a notch on the scale any day!

Hi towhooz I am with you in not to weight yourself daily , I weight myself one time at week it really surprise me when the doctor told me about the fill band and he said if I need a fill will be in a month and a half or so , good luck to us!! :)

Hi there, glad you're doing so well! I am two weeks post-op tomorrow and don't feel hungry. Well I get a little hungry but then have something -- small amounts -- and am satisfied. Makes me want to weep, I am so happy! Have read about some bands being "primed" -- asked my doctor and no Fluid in my band as yet.

Hi there, glad you're doing so well! I am two weeks post-op tomorrow and don't feel hungry. Well I get a little hungry but then have something -- small amounts -- and am satisfied. Makes me want to weep, I am so happy! Have read about some bands being "primed" -- asked my doctor and no Fluid in my band as yet.

Thanks a lot bandista so happy for us!!!

Hey, congratulations -- the way the clothes fit says it all! I reached the magic number of 20 pounds lost then the next morning naturally I was up two pounds! Next day down a pound, etc. There is so much fluctuation. I should probably put the scale out in the barn for a while and just go by the weekly weigh-ins I'll have when I start going in for the weeks 4,5,6,7 etc. appointments with the surgeon. Nice to have that affirmation from your son's visit. Wait til the holidays!

Just wanted to add that how frequently you weigh is an entirely personal decision.

For some, like myself, it's motivating to weigh daily. When I lose it encourages me to stick to my diet that day and it has served me in a beneficial way.

If you find yourself dreading weighing, allowing the numbers to effect you negatively (like emotional eating, or not sticking to a diet), or have reached a plateau, than yes, weekly weigh-ins may support you better.

It really comes down to personality and mindset. That's all :)

The band doesn't "come with Fluid in it" however some doctors put fluid in at surgery. The amount is up to the doctor.

Congrats on the great loss post op. Keep it up.

Hi Ajtexas , I have no reason not to believe what my doctor said to me, the reason because I ask others was because I never knew the information they give me , I really do not see why my doctor will said something that is not accurate because for me it will not make a difference if they put it during surgery or not , for me this site is to help others and ourselfs to achive a common goal and provide information that can help others, you said " the band doesn't come with fluid in it" in other words you are calling me a liar or you are calling my doctor a liar , I did not appreacieted that , maybe we have to reserched to find out what is true or what is not,

Hi Ajtexas , I have no reason not to believe what my doctor said to me, the reason because I ask others was because I never knew the information they give me , I really do not see why my doctor will said something that is not accurate because for me it will not make a difference if they put it during surgery or not , for me this site is to help others and ourselfs to achive a common goal and provide information that can help others, you said " the band doesn't come with Fluid in it" in other words you are calling me a liar or you are calling my doctor a liar , I did not appreacieted that , maybe we have to reserched to find out what is true or what is not,

no, i dont think aj is calling you or anyone a liar.........she merely stated her opinion...

my dr put in a primer at surgery as he told me that my band was empty when it went in me..

i have no idea how much or if they removed any of the primer..fyi, i also have a 14cc band with plication and had a hernia repair done..

you are still swollen after surgery and hence why you are most likely not hungry...and the weight loss is great..and if 4cc's is in your band, use it and get well....

all the best

Hi Ajtexas , I have no reason not to believe what my doctor said to me, the reason because I ask others was because I never knew the information they give me , I really do not see why my doctor will said something that is not accurate because for me it will not make a difference if they put it during surgery or not , for me this site is to help others and ourselfs to achive a common goal and provide information that can help others, you said " the band doesn't come with Fluid in it" in other words you are calling me a liar or you are calling my doctor a liar , I did not appreacieted that , maybe we have to reserched to find out what is true or what is not,

What I meant was the manufacturer does not put Fluid in the band, it is empty and when the surgeon places it in you they sometimes put fluid in it. I am not calling anyone a liar. I am saying each surgeon does different levels of fluid at time of surgery.

I'm sorry you misunderstood me. And yes this site is for help and to support each other. I thought that was what I was doing. I did not mean to offend you. I am truly sorry for that.

What I meant was the manufacturer does not put Fluid in the band, it is empty and when the surgeon places it in you they sometimes put fluid in it. I am not calling anyone a liar. I am saying each surgeon does different levels of fluid at time of surgery.

I'm sorry you misunderstood me. And yes this site is for help and to support each other. I thought that was what I was doing. I did not mean to offend you. I am truly sorry for that.

Hi AJ

It is okay , I really misunderstood you sorry about that , thank you for the explanation :)

I talked to my surgeon about this at great length because the first band he put on was too tight and I had to go in for emergency surgery 2 days later to replace my band. The bands come empty, but they ARE "primed" during surgery. This is to ensure there are no leaks. Sometimes this Fluid is left in, sometimes it is removed. It is usually around 4-5ccs. And your surgeon may not have done it himself but it was definitely done during your surgery.

You can always ask for the notes from your surgery to see what is in your band. I obtained my OR report and saw that my band was tested with 1 cc, which was then taken out. As the comment above states, now I see this was to test for leaks.

My experience with the scale is a love & hate one. I weigh in every single morning as part of my daily ritual and if someone asked me if they should weigh in every day my response would be, If you can weigh in and not let the scale affect your mood for the day then great. Weighing daily is a good way to keep your head on straight but if the fluctuating scale is going upset you then your better off not stepping on it. Again only speaking from my personal experience.

I have had days where I have stepped on the scale and even being up two pounds from Water weight put me in a lousy mood for the day. At this point it is such a habit but it is one I would like to change.

Maybe for the first time in my life instead of making my new years resolution about weight loss I will make a resolution not to weigh in every day :D