Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Far Post Op Until Meat?

So I'm curious - I'm just shy of three weeks post op and am doing great. I'm looking forward to a mini Thanksgiving meal but have one question .... How far out from surgery were u able to have meat?

I'm not sure I will have a traditional meal w a small slice of turkey n certainly don't want to try n later experience pain - so any insight would b greatly appreciated :)

Varies on your program, how your doing and your doctors. My program it was six weeks, and they had me start meat at five. I will be six weeks out on this upcoming Monday. I have handled the meat perfectly fine. I'm down 52 pounds right now :-) Keep up the great work!!!!

Thanks for your response and congrats on ur weight loss so far!! I'm down 20 lbs but I won't even be 5 wks out at that point - that's ok - it's worth not having it for the long run!

I am almost three weeks post op and I have had steak, chicken and fish. I am in the puréed phase still.

My doctor put me on soft foods on week 2. So week 2 I could have chicken, fish, turkey as long as it was moist. That will also include deli meats.< /p>

My doctor put me on soft foods on week 2. So week 2 I could have chicken, fish, turkey as long as it was moist. That will also include deli meats.< /p>

Thanks! I'm really wanting meat but super scared. When I went to my post op appt the doc told me that I was doing well n could eat anything my stomach could handle but to stay clear of meats for awhile as it will hurt - so I've been scared to try.

It doesn't hurt. Just make sure you chew like 15- 20 times. The meat has to be like mush before you swallow. I did experience discomfort whenever I ate in a hurry and didn't chew properly, but once that happens, you do what you can to avoid that feeling.

Everyone is different, but just take your time, your pace, it should be fine. Start with baked salmon or talapia. Cut it in half, take small bites and enjoy. :) if you like fish.

I am week 5 and have only had fish and shrimp.

tuna fish gas worked our great for me. With eggs and light mayo.

Today I didn't get all my Proteins. I have been dizzy and headache since I came to bed.

Tossing and turning.

I don't go back to the doctor till Dec 9th. He said he would let me have turkey and chicken after this.

I am ready to start walking but this time is the pita. I live in the country and it is dark out side.

Any suggestions.

you can have anything you can puree... but that might not be cool at a family dinner? Moist and chew is the good ^ advice.

PS, try some before TGiving. You also don't want the slimies or the barfies at the TGiving dinner!

My surgeon says no meat until week 9.

Clear liquids through week 4

pureed 5-6
mushies 7-8

regular plus meats week9

i was told 10-12 days for each phase.. i am about to go in to the soft foods stage a day early.. i could not bring myself to puree meat. that seems so disgusting! i stuck it out with mostly Soups and shakes!

Been pureeing for a few days. Have pureed roasted chicken and beef stroganoff. It tasted really good after a month plus of the other stuff.

I'll be in a huge setting at Thanksgiving, so there will be no pureeing. I have not quite decided how to handle it but am leaning towards chewing about 30 times.

My PA also said I could slowly start to have things like chili without pureeing it first, but again, to chew more than I think I should.

Of everything I have done so far, I have to say this part is the hardest. My issue with drinking meals for so long is that I have to re-teach myself how to eat. I have not had any issues digestively, but man it is hard to chew enough. Insight into an old habit, I'm sure. But eating real food is also so rewarding.

How long since your surgery?

I am just a little behind due to not getting enough papers from my doctor. I am using other doctors papers.

I am going to call them Monday and see if the forgot to give me a list of the stages and does and dont's.

Just feeling aggravated. Cause everyone else is eating or purée things and he told me mashable.

Thanks.