Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second Guessing Surgery!

I'm very pre-op, surgery date isn't set yet, and I'm already second guessing my decision to have surgery! It's not the lifestyle and eating habits that bother me...it's the thought of things to come. I have A LOT of weight to lose, 150 lbs. I'm fairly certain I'll have mudflaps and flapjacks hanging around...I've heard it's nearly impossible to tone & tighten that much. I'm 38...did I wait too long???

Obesity is a progressive, life-threatening disease that is the number two cause of preventable death in the U.S. Gastric bypass surgery is the most effective treatment known to medical science for the treatment of obesity, type 2 diabetes and more than 30 comorbidities associated with obesity. By a very wide margin.

I had 130 lbs to lose. And I lost 130 lbs. And I was considerably older than you are. Perhaps you're asking the wrong question? The question is not did you wait too long. The question is are you ready to do whatever is necessary to change your life? To dramatically improve your health? To quite literally extend your life? To dramatically improve your quality of life? Is the cost of doing nothing - reduced quality of life, low self esteem, progressive disease, reduced life span - worth the benefits - no "mudflaps and flapjacks"? Is the cost of surgery - "mudflaps and flapjacks" - worth the benefits?

There are a lot of folks right here on this forum that will tell you the answer to that last question is an unqualified, indisputable - "YES"!!

You're gonna love the new you!!

I am absolutely ready and committed to this lifestyle change...I am just feeling a little discouraged after reading some of the other stories. I guess in a way I'm beating myself up for not doing it sooner...for letting myself get this out of control in the first place. Thank you so much for your insight!

You're certainly welcome! Folks often become concerned when they read or hear horror stories following surgery. There are risks and there are no guarantees. But I always try to remind everyone that there are approximately 200,000 bariatric surgeries performed every year in the U.S. alone. If you personally heard or read 2,000 horror stories, that would be one percent of the surgeries performed in a single year. The major complication rate (usually defined as requiring re-hospitalization) for gastric bypass is now less than four percent according to a study done by Cleveland Clinic and published day before yesterday. The minor complication rate is less than 15%. And the death rate as the result of surgery is less than one-tenth of one percent.

Consider that in conjunction with the other benefits of the surgery outlined in the same study:

• 40% reduced risk of heart attack over a ten year period
  • 42% reduced risk of stroke over a ten year period
  • 18% drop in the five year risk of death from cardiovascular disease
  • 45% drop in the risk of developing moderate to severe kidney disease over five years
  • 47% drop in the risk of developing circulatory and other complications including diabetic retinopathy (diabetes induced blindness)
  • On average patients lost 60% of their excess weight and had a 61% remission of diabetes
  • The overall risk of developing coronary heart disease, stroke or peripheral vascular disease within the next 10 years dropped 27%.

All of this research was presented in Atlanta, GA at the 30th Annual Meeting for the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) during Obesity Week 2013.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/new-cleveland-clinic-study-shows-risk-of-heart-attack-stroke-among-diabetes-patients-significantly-lower-after-gastric-bypass

Bottom line - the odds of having a life-changing, successful surgery are overwhelmingly in your favor. And the weight loss is just one of a very long list of benefits.

I felt the same way. I had days when it was all I could do not to call my surgeon and back out. In fact, even on the operating table before they put me to sleep, if just one person would have asked me if I was sure I wanted to go through with it, I would have answered no. I actually remembering praying that no one would give me an out.

The fact is that without the surgery, I would still be morbidly obese. I was in a size 24, always tired, always moody, and hit my emotions in food. Now six months later, I'm in a size 10, so much healthier, so much happier, and I'm learning how to feel emotions instead of bury them. I have loose skin in my stomach and arms. And you know what? I don't care. I'm 33 and would love to be firm. But every bit of loose skin is worth how I feel now. Dave did an amazing job pointing out the health benefits, but those aside, just the way I feel inside is worth it all.

I am absolutely ready and committed to this lifestyle change...I am just feeling a little discouraged after reading some of the other stories. I guess in a way I'm beating myself up for not doing it sooner...for letting myself get this out of control in the first place. Thank you so much for your insight!

I'm 54. I'd say I definitely waited too long. So much of my adult life has been wasted feeling unhappy, uncomfortable, and recently unhealthy. I have lost 86lbs since May 30. I'm in a size 12 and feel great! My health issues are resolved, back, knee, and foot pain is gone, and I have energy to spare. I have loose, saggy skin but I look good in clothes and I'm happy about that. I knew skin would be an issue - my belly skin was overstretched from my pregnancy w/twins who came almost full-term back in '86, followed a few years later by an almost 11lb son. I'm only barely five feet tall.

How your skin will be after you lose weight is determined my several factors - age, heredity, how long you were overweight, elasticity, and possibly even nutrition (since our bodies need certain nutrients for good health and skin would be no different?). Contrary to what some people believe, exercise doesn't tighten skin that has been stretched but it does tone flabby under-used muscles making them firm which can help drastically with your appearance.

All that being said how you look after should be the lowest consideration on the list of benefits when you are considering weight loss surgery. Highest on the list should be your health - and extending the years of your life while improving the quality. I am very happy with my results and my only regret is not doing it years ago. :-)

The surgery was a life saver for me. It's one step at a time, one day at a time. It requires life changes. You have to decide if it's worth it to you. There are risks. There are rewards. I still don't like looking in the mirror. But it sure is fun being told you are sexy. Lol!

I'm 71 and now have bat wings and of course very loose tummy muscles. Toning up these are not probably an option even though I can try. Surgery could be a possibility as my surgeon also does tummy tucks but does not do bat wings. Since I like new clothes I can cover the bat wings, and buy Spanx for the other. My main goal was to increase my life span, as in 2009 they said it would be a matter of time (apx 5 years) before I threw a pulmonary embolism. I had to give my lungs and heart more room so I had to lose all the weight I had gained (100 lbs). So I actually am of the age spanx are cheap, Zulily has cheap blouses and for the cost of the surgery, I can have a new wardrobe for a few years. Even though I have another 36 lbs to lose, there isn't a day go by that I don't get at least compliment at how I look. The rewards are great and the best is HEALTH.