Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking Of Having The Sleeve Done , But Im Scared Any Words Of Wisdom ?

luv2plumb, I do executive work for a couple of nonprofits. I am lucky in that I mostly work from home, but my downtime was negligible. In fact, I was approving copy from my hospital bed the afternoon that I had surgery!

In terms of pain, easiest surgery I've had (and I've had 4 or 5.) First day was uncomfortable, off painkillers the second. Now, this completely depends on a lot of things. My good friend had a rough first day because she didn't react well to the painkillers, and her throat was scratched and sore. I was up and walking less than two hours after surgery.

I'm 3 weeks out today, back to work full time (actually was more or less the first week, but I took it very easy.) I think you may be pleasantly surprised. I had lined up all sorts of help and didn't need it.

I'm so worried about down time I have a high level job and down time has to be minimal , how was the recovery , oh and p.s I'm a big baby when it comes to pain ? On a scale of 1 to omg what did I do. How would you rate it. , ;-)

Hi there. I'll tell you my story quick. I'm a 39 y/o guy with a pretty stressful office job. I was sleeved 14 days ago and I came back to work this past monday (4 days ago?). I had no surgical pain at all. They took me off the pain meds the second day since i wasn't pressing the button (except when i saw a big needle coming - then they laughed at me and took my button away). I haven't taken a pill for pain since leaving hospital on the third day.

The full liquid stage is manageable at a desk job, and the soft food stage is too. The only issue for me is energy levels. I feel kind of run down after lunch but i tough guy it. Me and another guy do some power laps around the building to wake up and shoot the bull most days around 3pm.

That's my story. You could have some bruising around your incisions, or be sent home with a drain in. It's surgery. Things go different for different people. Pick a great doctor on a great team in a great hospital and you will very likely have similar results.

I had little discomfort and was off the pain meds a few days outa the hospital. IF you have a sedentary job, maybe a RTW in 1 or 2 weeks? I was tired and was off longer (and I loved being off).

It is work, mostly with your head to do the behavioral things that you MUST do to succeed for the rest of your life. I am down 100# from highest weight and neat 50 from surgery 5 months ago. Have more to lose, but am happy...

Hey luv2plumb -- I'm still pre-op, scheduled for the sleeve on 12/03. Regarding your work question and downtime, at my consult my surgeon recommended taking a week or two off work. I told him I was an at-home homeschooling mom with six children (ages 13, 11, 4, 2, 2, and 5 months), to which he replied, "Well then, you won't get any time off, but you'll be fine." He knows I go 100 miles an hour 100% of the time, and outside of the lifting restriction, I'll be "back to work" from the moment I walk out of the hospital. I imagine I'll be wiped out at the end of each day, but after being on these boards and reading largely of positive experiences, I'm confident I'll be able to do what I need to do post-op to keep my family functional. I will, however, have to be extra diligent to set timers for water/protein intake, and I will have to measure out the required amount each day so I don't lose track and take in too little. I'll have to use tools that others don't just so I don't let the day get away from me.

@ VSG AJH , oh my you have your hands full at home ! LoL , the hospital stay almost seems like a little get away lol lol. Thank you for your kind words , I feel so at ease now that I have people to talk with. , I don't know anyone that has had this done , so again thank you !

So I've been sleeved 3 years and I honestly feel like the way I eat now is how everyone *should* be able to eat. Small portions (my dense Protein rarely goes over 4oz, usually 3 is about all I can manage) so a regular "meal" for me is 3 oz of meat... and then a little bit of something else. Today for lunch I had 3 oz of shredded chicken topped with a little cheese, sour cream, and salsa. I dipped about 5 tortilla chips in there and that was it. Easy peasy. Full, satisfied and it's been 2.5 hours since I last ate and I'm still full and basically NOT THINKING ABOUT food...or when my next meal will be (well except that I just typed about food...lol.) Tonight will be some type of meat and either salad (reall small, 1 cup total of lettuce topped with a few bits of other veggies) or some other type of veggie. I would have NEVER before been happy or satisfied with eating such small portions of food pre-sleeve. It truly has changed my whole entire relationship with food.

LOVE THAT FEELING!

Also even though it's been a while since I was sleeved I remember feeling almost *normal* about 10 days post-op. It was kind of a lightbulb moment where I went "wow, I really just had surgery 10 days ago..." it already felt like a lifetime ago. So everyone is different with recovery and my personal feeling is that if you are at least somewhat active before surgery you will have a better/easier time of recovery but there just are no guarantees.

I also have battled a little bit of a weight regain, but am working it back off. I wrote about it here if you want some more info about the sleeved life for the past 3 years.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/285050-3-years-ago-today-i-had-the-vsg/

Anyway, I agree this was the best decision I've ever made in regards to my own health!

Hi, I'll be 4 weeks out on monday. From my first office visit until surgery it was almost 2 years. I don't regret one second of my decision. I had only one night in the hospital. For me, more important than the pain meds was the muscle relaxer! I was back to work in two weeks (hair stylist). The only problem I have is that I wear out fast but I attribute that to not getting in enough Water.

You'll do great.. good luck!

I'm so worried about down time I have a high level job and down time has to be minimal , how was the recovery , oh and p.s I'm a big baby when it comes to pain ? On a scale of 1 to omg what did I do. How would you rate it. , ;-)

Recovery wasn't that bad BUT I was a Crazy case you know those one in a millions odds they tell you about well that was me. I had to have a blood transfusion (not to scare you) but after I got home I was fabulous! I'm so thankful I chose this surgery and I would do it all over again.

Please keep us updated on your journey. I am scheduled for 12/5 and the anxiety has kicked in full force. I free these next few weeks are going to kill me!

Honestly, I think the anticipation and pre op was harder than anything else. Oh yeah... and don't lay down all the way for 4-5 days... getting up is a b $@!&

Honestly, I think the anticipation and pre op was harder than anything else. Oh yeah... and don't lay down all the way for 4-5 days... getting up is a b $@!&

It is! I laid on my right side and kind of slid off my side of the bed. Much less painful that way, even if it looked awkward.