Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Haters

I do not hate the band, but I do hate MY band. I got banded in April 2009 and was successful in losing 60+ pounds and getting down to my lowest adult weight, but I really felt as if it came at a great cost to my health. Prior to the band I lost 85 pounds over 2+ years through diet and exercise and over about 4 months 20 came creeping back on. A couple of my friends had recently gone for consults regarding WLS and I decided to get more information. The surgeons in my area were only doing RnY and bands at the time. Bypass surgery seemed much more drastic than what I needed. I didn't like the idea of what nutrition I took in "food wise" not being absorbed by my body. I also knew that weight loss was much more drastic with bypass and the band seemed more like a "good tool" to keep me focused on my current weight loss path. The idea being that it would just help me reduce the amount I took in. In the beginning all went well. But about 4 months in I fell and hurt myself and was unable to workout (walking only and no long distances.) While recuperating I was keeping up with my fills and at about 6 month in I was filled up to 6 ccs in my 10 cc band. The minute I hit 6 ccs I starting having problems with my ability to get many foods down regardless of how much I chewed. This included most vegetables and meats. In order to get vegetables in I had to cook them within an inch of their life. Most of my Protein I had to get through Protein shakes and low-fat dairy options. I was not happy. I existed this way for several months. Finally, I went to the surgeon who removed 1/4 cc and it was slightly better, but it was never the same. My surgeon and I went back and forth filling and taking Fluid out of my band to find that "sweet spot," but we could never find it. Through this process I developed new disturbing eating habits that I am still working through. Once I was cleared by the doctor I went back to the gym, but my energy level was ridiculous. I actually almost passed out several times. I was completely discouraged. I lost a ton of muscle mass and felt more "out of shape" than I had pre-surgery although I was 60lbs lighter.

Today, I still have my band. I am still at 5.75 ccs in my band, and as of two days ago I am almost 20lbs over my pre-surgery weight. One of my other friends who received her band shortly before I did had similar issues with and has had her band removed. My other friend, is still banded and while she has had some struggles has successfully lost about 100 pounds and kept it off. She is very satisfied with her band. I am so happy for her. She has worked very hard to get to this point and I am glad she found success with her band. I am working hard at trying not to see my experience with MY band as a failure. It is a tool, but it wasn't the one for me. As of two days ago I have started the process to get a revision of my band to a sleeve. I came on this forum through my research into this process. I have read all of the research and medical information but I wanted to get thoughts from actual WLS patients about their successes and struggles. I haven't really spent much time looking at the Lap-Band forums as I am trying to move forward, but there is still a part of me that wants to figure out if there was more I could have done and if others continue to struggle as I have.

I hope that nobody is offended by this post. It was not my intention to cause drama. I am still trying to figure out where I belong on this website. This was the first thread that hit home for me. Thank you for allowing me to contribute.

I think the band is the closest weight loss surgery to a real diet! We still have stomachs that absorb calories! We have to have more control and when we are successfully.. It drives them crazy! They hear the horror stories and when someone challenges their beliefs they attack! I love my band... Yes I still struggle and I always will! But if I fail ... I fail.. Not the band!

I've read some real doozies of attacks on the band and at first it made me nervous about the choice I made then I started thinking 1. I have God on my side who is with me every step of the way and I believe lead me to my decision. 2. He lead me to a wonderful surgeon who has performed this surgery on at least 2000 people and with an extremely high success rate (yes I did my research) 3. It's up to me to be successful with WLS I need to follow the rules for it and I'm actually happy that I've the risked I do with this as to me it's a lessor evil. But that's me. 4. and finally Im newly banbed and I don't have time for hater drama I'm too busy concentrating on my own success.

I think the band is the closest weight loss surgery to a real diet! We still have stomachs that absorb calories! We have to have more control and when we are successfully.. It drives them crazy! They hear the horror stories and when someone challenges their beliefs they attack! I love my band... Yes I still struggle and I always will! But if I fail ... I fail.. Not the band!

So glad you are finding success with your band!

FYI, stomachs don't absorb calories, intestines do, stomachs break down food, and add acid, and some other chemicals to it (including the hunger hormone) to prep it for absorption in the intestines. The WLS's that shorten the intestinal transit by bypass are the ones that prevent some of the absorption of nutrition (RNY,DS- Not the Sleeve). that is all, carry on.

FYI.. I am NOT a doctor nor do I pretend to be one either.. Excuse me for having an opinion! I may not be correct but at least I am not MEAN about it! Have a blessed day!

I get so tired of all the bandbashing that is going on. I am happy with my choice with the band. Every surgery has its benefits and risks. You have to decide which surgery is best for you. I am a proud bandster and will defend my decision. There are programs that don't have proper followup after surgery. That is what gives the band a bad name. I wish everyone the best of luck in their journey. Mona