Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will My Stomach Stretch? Interesting information

I for one HOPE, yes "hope" that my stomach stretches. I will take care of the calorie-content meals, and cut back and stuff, but my greatest hope and desire is to have a stomach big enough that enables me to occasionally go out with my family and have dinner; I'm not talking about a big dinner, and no buffets, no seconds, etc. but to have a decent dinner, and not one from the kid's menu. If I could do it all over again, I would have asked for the surgeon to use the biggest bougie available, or to just cut off ONLY one-half of my stomach. Anyway, if anyone has anything (scientific-based) to add, I would love to read it. thank you

Sounds like you are all pretty early out when the stomach is still swollen. It takes about 6 weeks for that to go down and then over time you will develop more capacity. By a few months liquids are not restricted at all so watch those liquid calories.

Liquids will not stretch the sleeve.

The stomach will stretch somewhat over time but most of the part that was stretchy was removed so you will never be able to eat the volume of solid food that you did before.

I remember in the beginning eating solid meat and chewing forever and praying for the day when it would not hurt to eat after 2 bites. But those are the days when you are losing the most so don't wish it away.

In time you will be able to eat a small entree at a restaurant and feel full but not uncomfortable when eating enough to not feel hungry.

I am 16 months out and can eat everything but portions are what they should be not enormous like my old life. I can eat 4 ounces of steak and some broccoli etc when I got out to dinner. My daughter is happy to eat the rest of the steak. Yesterday when I went out to lunch I had a personal 8 inch brick oven style pizza (left off the end crust). I was able to eat most though focused on the toppings. I felt full after but not uncomfortable. I am in maintenance so fit it into my plan. I will never be eating 3-4 slices of a pizza like my old life. I will never go back for seconds.

Take advantage of your restriction. Choose dense Protein. Stop a bite or two before you think it is enough. Chew a lot and eat slow. These are things I have to remember every day.

Good info. I've read both, that my stomach can strecth and that it can't. Makes sense to me. Altho I'm a little bummed to find out its true.

I also eat everything (1 yr out) but never as much as I did pre op. While I can eat more than I could at say 3 mths, its pretty steady now. I can eat about 2 oz of meat, 3 to 4 bites of each veggie and starch. Sometimes Ill "top off my tank", taking a couple bites more than full just so I'm not hungry 2 hrs later. Guess I need to stop that...

Thanx for the info...

My surgeon said it can't stretch. So I'm not convinced yet that it actually will. I think people who gain their weight back just find ways around it. Eating junk and slider foods, for instance.