Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will i ever be able to eat dairy products if i cant handle it now

Have had blue bunny ice cream bc it was soft and Mac an cheese and other things and I cant handle the dairy will I ever be able to or can my stomach just not handle it anymore any one with the same thing ?

You need to realize you are only two weeks out? Your stomach is in no way close to being healed. Please give it time eat the foods that are on plan. It's way to soon for Pasta. And ice cream..

Edited by laura-ven

Hello Melody,

My name is Pam Cager. I had my surgery Dec. 28, 2012. I too have problems with dairy. I cannot eat eggs and milk is not really my friend either; but believe it or not, I can have Ice Cream; it does not bother me. But if I eat a bowl of Cereal with milk, well lets just say its not the best thing for me. Eggs truly are not my friend anymore and I hate that because I loved eggs. I've been told that if your stomach doesn't tolerate certain things, just wait and while and then try it again. So the best advise I can give you, is to just wait a while and try again and see if you'll be able to tolerate dairy later. Good Luck!!

Thanks guys I figured it was too early but so easily to get bored of the sane foods when u feel healed even though I'm not completely healed lol I guess I just have to stay away from dairy for now lol

At 2 weeks out, I would say that absolutely nothing is "set" for you right now, in terms of food. Things will change & evolve as you continue to heal. But it's way too soon for Pasta & ice cream. Stay on your food plan, even if it's boring. I was on liquids for a solid month postop, so I fully understand how bored & tired of it you can get. But stick with it & know that it's only temporary. Good luck!

I thought at 2 weeks out that yogurt, and SF pudding made with milk would kill me. I had HORRIBLE stomach aches, and the gas pain was unbearable. I think I had 2 bites of each. The NUT told me to lay off dairy for a few months, and try again. So I am almost 6 months post-op and tried again last week. I am better, but still had some of the stomach ache. I can't do SF pudding, milk (that is like poison to me now), but yogurt and cheese seems to be ok now. So I would say give it some time, and try again.

I'm almost 11 months post-op and cannot eat dairy at all!! Prior to surgery, I LIVED on dairy.

My dietician says its common to become lactose intolerant after bariatric surgery (I didn't know this). It drives me CRAZY because as if my diet wasn't restricted due to the surgery; now its even WORSE. I also now have a Protein deficiency because all those wonderful dairy sources of Protein I can't partake in. I've been working on finding things that work and found the Lactaid products to work well for me. I also like the So Delicious brand ice cream; its lactose free, but somewhat hard to find near me.

Try really finding those Proteins anywhere before you run into a problem.

I was very lactose intollerant at first. It probably lasted 2 years. I could eat cheese and yogurt but not milk or ice cream.

Now, I am not nearly as bad. I can have a small amount of milk without getting gas pains and diarrhea.

I'm 16 months out and will probably never attempt full fat dairy again. I find fat free skim milk is great!

I'm almost 11 months post-op and cannot eat dairy at all!! Prior to surgery, I LIVED on dairy.

My dietician says its common to become lactose intolerant after bariatric surgery (I didn't know this). It drives me CRAZY because as if my diet wasn't restricted due to the surgery; now its even WORSE. I also now have a Protein deficiency because all those wonderful dairy sources of Protein I can't partake in. I've been working on finding things that work and found the Lactaid products to work well for me. I also like the So Delicious brand ice cream; its lactose free, but somewhat hard to find near me.

Try really finding those Proteins anywhere before you run into a problem.

Hey there! Have you tried almond milk or soymilk? I went completely off of dairy in my 20s because it made me break out and have eczema. Try making a Protein shake with an almond milk or soymilk base