Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym-a-phobic???

Hey! Ok..how do I get myself into the gym without feeling embarrassed to be there in the first place??? I want to go..I need to go. I just feel so out of place when I do go. I know everyone has better things to do than look at the big chick walk in, but I still feel like all eyes are watching me until I climb onto a treadmill and almost blend in. I haven't been since last August. I had a trainer then and it was easier with a trainer. On my own..I feel like I just shouldn't be there. Am I crazy?? How do you build up that confidence to get your butt in the gym??

Stacy

Hi Stacy. You are definitely NOT alone! Have you thought of joining Curves? Many of the women there are larger. I belong to the local YMCA and believe me...they have ALL shapes and sizes there. I foung the Y to be a fairly non-threatening environment.

Good luck to you :o

Hey Stacy--I know exactly how you feel! I have always been so self-concious when it comes to exercising at a gym. But I have found a place that I love--it's called LAdie's Workout Express. It is very similar to Curves, with the 30 minute circuit. They also have an eliptical, stationary bike, tread-climber, and treadmill for extra cardio. It is a ladies only gym, and I am much more comfortable with that. The people there are so friendly, and nobody cares what shape or size you are. Mine also offers nutrtion classes, and other little extras. You might want to consider that option(or Curves, if you don't have the other available in your town), at least until you feel more comfortable going to a regular gym. I go pretty much every day, and am totally addicted now--and this is coming from someone who NEVER exercised before my surgery. Good luck!

I think I will try one of those..but for now, I still have membership at Golds Gym and dh would not be happy if I went to another gym while I'm still making monthly payments to the other. Maybe I'll just try to lose a little more weight on my own and then I'll feel a tiny bit more confident..then go?? LOL!! I just need to get over it and go already. I will be soooo happy when I don't have to think about what other people are thinking of me! It's no fun being overweight..I'm so happy to be losing finally!

Oh me, me, me... totally gymaphobic, a little depressive and a bit agorophobic.

Read my thread.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/ok-am-here-t30577.html

I was SO you. I have been putting this off for YEARS. Thinking, thinking, dreading, dragging my feet, procrastinating, finding excuses. Not only am I the weight I am, I am also 6 feet tall so pretty hard to ignore, so I feel like a giant, when I really want to be invisible.

It was an Oprah show with Bob Green, that convinced me that if I am not willing to do the work, then I am not ready to lose the weight. I didn't want to believe this because all I have ever wanted my whole life was to lose the weight.

So taking that on, I thought and thought and finally chose a gym that I felt comfortable with. A brand new women's only gym and I think I love it there. I thought of joining Curves and really that is an excellent and comfortable place, I just wanted more options than Curves offered. So I go the extra drive to work out and I am so glad I did.

I HAVE the time, I have the band helping me with my food choices and now I have a place to go with a personal trainer. I really want to encourage you to go and say to hell with your insecurities.

There will always be someone thinner than you, there will always be someone else heavier than you.

I take my iPod and just get into my own little world.

Good luck making your decision. Do it, you won't regret it.

and hugs because I KNOW how hard this is....

Stacy

Do you have a friend that you can go with. I have found that while you're chatting with you're friends, exercise goes a lot easier. Find someone who can treadmill right next to you, and you'll have your mind on other things.

ALso, there are so many different types of people who go to the gym, esp. some place like the Y, there are people of all shapes, sizes and ages, so dig down and just start going, find something you enjoy (at least to the degree that exercise can be enjoyed) and it will get easier.

D

This is an interesting topic. Gyms are funny aren't they? They are supposed to help people get fit, but everyone there looks like they are ready to run a marathon already. So ironic! I know how you feel. Three years ago I started excercizing for the first time in my life. I was 285 pounds and lost 120 by changing my eating habits and going to the gym 6 days a week. Then I had a difficult pregnancy, ate way too much and gained most of that weight back which is why I am getting ready to get the band. But anyway, I can share some support on getting past those gym-jitters. What helped me a lot at the beginning was dedicating a couple of weeks to excercising at home every day (walking and yoga) to help get my spirits and confidence up. Once I felt more in "the zone" it was a lot easier to make my way to the gym. I was 285 pounds the first time I walked into a gym and the 2 flights of stairs to the workout floor had me gasping for air my first week. I stuck to the same machines at first and gradually started trying different things. Getting a trainer is what really got me to the next level. Plus they show you around all the equipment so you are comfortable. Before you know it people will be coming out of the woodwork to ask you what you are doing. I was always amazed at the "skinny" people that would chase me down to ask what I was doing because they noticed I was losing. That was so funny to me since they were still smaller than me but I guess when they watch 100+ pounds fading away they all want to know your program. Now I am starting the process all over again and I am going through the same insecurities. At the beginning we do have to carry a little bit of a defense with up to get through it but I just put my ipod on and remember that I have just as much right as "the skinny people" to be in the gym, and I am going to take care of myself regardless of what anyone thinks. Once you are in a routine at your gym things get much better and you start to build confidence and believe it or not some of us get to a point where we like going to the gym! Wow, imagine that. Good luck to you!

I've lost almost all my weight without setting foot in a gym. Its too time consuming for me and I cant go at the times I want to because of my kids etc etc.

So I run regularly and I own a barbell and some dumbells and I can do things like pushups, tricep dips etc, but I do have a pretty good anatomical knowledge in my head, I know what I'm trying to achieve. But really, my focus has been on cardio, I run either outside or on my treadmill five or six times a week, if I'm on the treadmill I spend a few kilometres these days walking up a steep incline doing various light hand weight exercises at the same time - muscle toning AND cardio combined.

That way I can do it to my own schedule, around the kids, around the weather. I'm pretty self motivated though, I dont feel I need the "discipline" of the gym. I find when its at home you cant use lack of time as an excuse as you can always get up early or do something later on.