Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Used Flex Benefits to Pay for Part of Surgery?

I am a school teacher and I have a flex benefit plan. In January I will have 2500 dollars on my Visa card. I wanted to use this to pay for some of my surgery and I would way out of pocket for the remaining amount. Has anyone used their benefits to help pay for their surgery?

I tried to use mine. I had quite a bit on my flex account Visa also. However, my coordinator tried to run it through and it didn't accept it. I ended up having to pay out of pocket and used my flex benefit card towards my medical supplies and Vitamins, etc. after surgery. You should still try and see if it works for you. Good luck!

I tried to use mine. I had quite a bit on my flex account Visa also. However, my coordinator tried to run it through and it didn't accept it. I ended up having to pay out of pocket and used my flex benefit card towards my medical supplies and Vitamins, etc. after surgery. You should still try and see if it works for you. Good luck!

Did you have surgery in Mexico. If so I can see why the charge might not have been approved. Although I can't say with certainty, I believe that this should be able to be charged to a Flex card at a provider in the US.

I thought about doing that a few years ago and it wasn't allowed on the insurance plan I had at the time.

Well I have heard there are several companies that are actually based here in the U.S. but the surgeries are performed in Mexico. I suppose I need to talk with my someone with my benefits plan to see if this would be acceptable.

THis is exactly what I need to know as well. I am looking into to Mexico as well. I already had a band put in in the States 2009. It needs to be removed. You can see my story about my band complications. My insurance will remove it but wont do a sleeve until my BMI is high enough to qualify. I am trying to find out what I have in my flex spending account on health and apply to surgery in Mexico. Two of my friends have done it, swear by it. They loved the entire process, the hospital everything and are really pushing me to go this route. Dr. Lopez did their surgery. I am sure there a million Dr. Lopezs', it was in TJ. But that is all I know.

I did have my surgery in Mexico. One of the best decision that I have ever made in my life. Went from a size 18/16 pant and XL shirt to a size 12 pant and M/L shirt in just 3 months!

That is great! That is exactly what size I am now and I can't wait until I am a size 12!

I talked to someone in my flex benefits plan today and was told that I would have to pay for my surgery up front and then they would reimburse me once I turned in my receipt, even if the surgery was in Mexico. So I have at least $2500 in my account and I will have to pay out of pocket for the rest. Not too bad.