Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard to eat foods

I am 2 years out now and can't drink orange juice. Also have to limit rice, especially sushi rice. I love sushi but only eat rolls without rice. I have had calif rolls in lettuce instead of rice, and we have a local place that lets you build your own rolls. Yummy. I order a tuna, salmon, avo, and crab all wrapped in seaweed. This roll lasts me 2 meals. My go to snack is turkey Jerky. Jack Links brand is my favorite.

Anything dense or hard to chew. Dry chicken, steak that isn't too tender, thick or dry Pasta. It's generally easy to predict so far. I had a tough time last time I was in Insia because the region I was in bases every meal on roti, which is a dry flat bread (not naan) instead of rice. I could only have a tiny amount or get the slimes. I lost 6 kg in 2 weeks on that trip.

I found a new food today my post sleeve body does not like. Chili peppers. It was strange actually. We stopped at this spices store near tubak, AZ and there was a table with about 1 dozen different chili sauces from mild to hot. I am a daring type person so decided to try a little of each on a couple tortilla chips. I used to be big into hot and spicy. Still am a little. Tasted good. All was fine. About 20 minutes later, my veins in my left hand and arm started to go through pretty severe vasodilation. I mean: it was a bit on the painful side, especially right at the crick of my elbow. Usually you need NO or a precursor of NO (in pre workout drinks) to get the pump (lesser, though). My veins were huge and throbbing. It was a bit fascinating to see the pump. however, It was a slightly bizarre and slightly painful condition. It happened about 4 times over the next 10 minutes and then quieted down. Made me feel a little like the hulk when he goes through metamorphosis. Lol. On the way home I had to do some research as part of my due diligence and, sure enough, chili peppers and vasodilation is a well known medical condition. Never knew. I will be careful about that in the future.

I am 2 years out now and can't drink orange juice. Also have to limit rice' date=' especially sushi rice. I love sushi but only eat rolls without rice. I have had calif rolls in lettuce instead of rice, and we have a local place that lets you build your own rolls. Yummy. I order a tuna, salmon, avo, and crab all wrapped in seaweed. This roll lasts me 2 meals. My go to snack is turkey Jerky. Jack Links brand is my favorite.[/quote']

Love jack links also. I have to be careful with it though and do not usually get it any longer because I was eating jerky every afternoon (bad habit when swinging through the grocery store around month 5-6) and then sliming. This was about 8 months ago. It is still sometimes a good snack if in a bind for something to eat. They put it in all the "convenient " places in the store (checkout lane anyone?). One place I do not get though is next to the Water section. Go figure.

I could have written this post Dee! :) Nothing is a no-go for me. But I still weigh and measure my food. Just the other day I had some leftover lean ground beef and I was just going to pop the whole thing in the micro with a little cheese and call it dinner. Looked at' date=' and decided I better measure it. Came out to 5.4oz of ground beef. I cut it back to exactly 3oz, topped with 10grams of cheese and that was my dinner. I would have NEVER been able to stuff all 5.4oz in at once. The leftover 2.4 went in the next morning's egg beater omelet. I also have never thrown up, slimed or anything else similar to that. What is slime? Just extra saliva or things that come from your stomach back up? Sorry I'm unfamiliar with sliming.[/quote']

I think I read that out body produces saliva all the time But when we get the slimes, we are so full it can't slide down like it normally does and it backs up In our mouths. It's really gross. I hadn't had it in over a year but got it last week after having a couple of drinks, eating dinner, then having some ice cream about an hour later. Haven't craved ice cream since, even though I have a tub of pumpkin ice cream in the fridge.

Lynda

I'm 3+ years out.

Almost always make me ill or uncomfortable: Pasta, rice, flour tortillas.

Sometimes make me ill or uncomfortable: potatoes (any way) and bread - I include biscuits, waffles, pancakes, etc. here because even now I can only have a few bites of these foods before I'm too full.

And I simply cannot eat anything overly sweet. I scrape frosting off cake, avoid cheesecake if it's not plain and skip Syrup on my two or three bites of challah french toast.

~Cheri

Camper' date=' come hang out with us, we know how easy it is to get off track and gain.

I am pretty much an Iron stomach again... sometimes hot and spicy may irritate the princess....it has taken me a couple of years to get back to being able to eat hot pepper. ... and Pasta can really fill me up extra fast. I don't eat it much, but it always surprises me at how it "sticks to my ribs." I cook a half portion, and end up leaving most of it on the plate. Other things may or may not bother me... apple skins for quite a while...just couldn't stand the texture. I have gotten the slimes a few times... usually after layering Protein and other ingredients ... sliming is what ^Happy^ described...pretty sure it is just saliva, but thick and "slimy", I don't know if the body is trying to make it easy for the offending parties to leave the premises, or just a "stop what you are doing...NOW" thing. Too bad more junk does not cause slime![/quote']

Awe Feed, thanks for the invite. You and M2G that was cool, thanks so much. I don't want to hijack this thread so, I will be keeping my "eye" on ya'll and saying hello. I definitely have experienced, the ole "I CAN eat", and have made so many excuses thus, I am up 20 lbs from my lowest and I must find my way back. So, thanks much for the up lift.

I found a new food today my post sleeve body does not like. Chili peppers. It was strange actually. We stopped at this spices store near tubak' date=' AZ and there was a table with about 1 dozen different chili sauces from mild to hot. I am a daring type person so decided to try a little of each on a couple tortilla chips. I used to be big into hot and spicy. Still am a little. Tasted good. All was fine. About 20 minutes later, my veins in my left hand and arm started to go through pretty severe vasodilation. I mean: it was a bit on the painful side, especially right at the crick of my elbow. Usually you need NO or a precursor of NO (in pre workout drinks) to get the pump (lesser, though). My veins were huge and throbbing. It was a bit fascinating to see the pump. however, It was a slightly bizarre and slightly painful condition. It happened about 4 times over the next 10 minutes and then quieted down. Made me feel a little like the hulk when he goes through metamorphosis. Lol. On the way home I had to do some research as part of my due diligence and, sure enough, chili peppers and vasodilation is a well known medical condition. Never knew. I will be careful about that in the future.[/quote']

On the positive side, that vasodilation is what makes chili pepper eaters less likely to have strokes so...I'm just saying.. :)

Refried Beans sit like a brick and bring on the slimes after just a few bites. Of course, I bought an entire case pre-op. Thought for sure they would get me through purees/mushies.

Ugh god, I forgot about the horrors of ice cream. I love it, I remember it fondly, but every single time I eat it now it just tastes like flat sugar, regardless of the quality and the sick feeling afterward is just like a bad hangover. :(

Ok - add med rare steak to the list :) wow, not a good week for eating dense Protein on vacation at my folks. Not only got the slimes last night, but threw up too about 30 min after dinner. Sleeve definitely rejected that one. Got the severe gagging in the back of my throat and just knew it was going to be trouble. Last time food has caused throwing up i think was month 3, over a year ago. It was about 5-6 oz of sliced steak which I chewed thoroughly. However, it was undercooked. There was a little fat that I ate with it (maybe about a tbsp worth). Maybe that was it. I had my usual delicious casein shake around around 9 pm, but here is the odd part: I woke up at 12:30 am really really hungry. First time that has happened since being sleeved and ate a Quest bar. Feeling a little guilty about the midnight snack, but the hunger was not going away. Could not will it away. Hopefully you folks had a better day with eating then I yesterday. Sheesh. :) I will be returning home tomorrow back to my wife's wonderful cooking, so hopefully these issues are short lived. No offense to my mother, but my sleeve has been challenged a little this week with her cooking.

Refried Beans sit like a brick and bring on the slimes after just a few bites. Of course' date=' I bought an entire case pre-op. Thought for sure they would get me through purees/mushies.[/quote']

And your user name says it all for this thread!

Fiddle, I'm 3+ yrs out as you know and I concur, beef is a fickle mistress. I can plow through a steak one day, can't be in the same room as one the next, a few bites of ground beef can hit the spot, or send me into a tailspin of sliming misery lasting well into the night. It's a crapshoot and fat% doesn't seem to be a factor.

I must be lucky. There isn't anything that doesn't sit well with me or that I have trouble eating. There are foods that fill me up very quickly though, and I'm not able to eat much of, like an apple.

I can't remember the last time I've eaten anything like spaghetti or rice. If I eat carbs, it's going to be something like a baked yam.

I've never had that blocked feeling or slimes, but I've not been able to eat eggs since surgery. One bite feels like it hits my stomach like a rock. Other than that, I seem to tolerate pretty much every thing fine....though I have to admit my diet is somewhat limited. I tend to eat the same thing day in and day out, and due to the calorie restriction, there isn't room to venture into new territory much.