Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about enjoying food after surgery? Don't be.

So if you're worried you won't ever be able to enjoy a vacation again because you can't eat your way through a country, I'm here to tell you that you will.

My husband and I are in Cancun--well Isla Mujeres to be precise, and we have so thoroughly enjoyed our food so far. We are three months post-op.

We tend to get one appetizer and split it for Snacks, and one split entree works for dinner. So far, we have feasted on shrimp tacos (no tortillas), chile relleno filled with chorizo and cheese, grilled lobster tails, omelets with veggies and a side of fruit, shrimp cocktail in the best pico de gallo with guacamole, and our favorite dinner tonight.

We went to Valasquez on the beach and sat outside to watch the sun set into the ocean. The fresh fish of the day was Red Snapper so we decided to do a whole snapper in garlic for both of us. They brought us chips and at first we refused, but then we noticed the pico de gallo and guacamole on the side. We used the chips to scoop them up and this was indeed the best guacamole and pico de gallo of the trip so far! We split the small snapper between us and let me tell you, sitting by the ocean with your love, watching the sun set, enjoying a healthy dinner together? Doesn't suck.

We passed on all the chips and tortillas offered to us. We've each had 1 tsp of rice and Beans at main meals. But really, we're enjoying the fresh seafood and it feels just like the old days, except we're full with a lot less.

So you may not eat as much as before, but if you're like us, we find that we enjoy what we eat as much as we did before. Even more so, because it doesn't come heavily sauced with guilt.

Love my sleeve. I hope this helps some of you who are either worrying about this, or are so close to post-op that you think you will never enjoy food again.

Always good to hear that life will return to normal eventually! Have a great vacation. :-)

Awesome!

Enjoy your vacation paradise with fresh fish and your weight loss journey!

How much have you and he lost so far?

I've lost 35 lbs since pre-op with lots of stalls. At least 3 stalls that have lasted at least 12 days each. So it's slow but steady. I tell myself that means my skin will bounce back sooner. Who knows if that's true or not? :P

I'll have to let my husband read this one. He seems to think that I'll never be able to eat again:) So from what your saying is that I'll be a cheap date? Thanks and enjoy your husband and vacation!!!

So if you're worried you won't ever be able to enjoy a vacation again because you can't eat your way through a country' date=' I'm here to tell you that you will. My husband and I are in Cancun--well Isla Mujeres to be precise, and we have so thoroughly enjoyed our food so far. We are three months post-op. We tend to get one appetizer and split it for Snacks, and one split entree works for dinner. So far, we have feasted on shrimp tacos (no tortillas), chile relleno filled with chorizo and cheese, grilled lobster tails, omelets with veggies and a side of fruit, shrimp cocktail in the best pico de gallo with guacamole, and our favorite dinner tonight. We went to Valasquez on the beach and sat outside to watch the sun set into the ocean. The fresh fish of the day was Red Snapper so we decided to do a whole snapper in garlic for both of us. They brought us chips and at first we refused, but then we noticed the pico de gallo and guacamole on the side. We used the chips to scoop them up and this was indeed the best guacamole and pico de gallo of the trip so far! We split the small snapper between us and let me tell you, sitting by the ocean with your love, watching the sun set, enjoying a healthy dinner together? Doesn't suck. We passed on all the chips and tortillas offered to us. We've each had 1 tsp of rice and Beans at main meals. But really, we're enjoying the fresh seafood and it feels just like the old days, except we're full with a lot less. So you may not eat as much as before, but if you're like us, we find that we enjoy what we eat as much as we did before. Even more so, because it doesn't come heavily sauced with guilt. Love my sleeve. I hope this helps some of you who are either worrying about this, or are so close to post-op that you think you will never enjoy food again.[/quote']

Thank you so much for that post!! I truly needed that right about now. I started pre-op on Friday, surgery is Nov 1st and I am having a war inside my head. One min I am fine I can do this. The next I am watching my family eat what they want when they want. I keep thinking is this what I want for myself. Applesauce and Protein Shakes, oh and my yummy 3oz of meat at dinner. I'm just scared I'm going to cancel my surgery because of my stupid jealousy of my family being able to enjoy the foods they want with no restrictions!!! Your post makes me feel better so thank you so much..I hope you are having a wonderful trip in that new beautiful healthy body of yours!!! I hope to be in your shoes soon!

I'll have to let my husband read this one. He seems to think that I'll never be able to eat again:) So from what your saying is that I'll be a cheap date? Thanks and enjoy your husband and vacation!!!

Even cheaper than you realize because you can't really drink :P

You'll be able to eat everything. You'll likely choose not to eat certain things as we are doing, but it really isn't that big a deal. I've yet to go to any restaurant where I couldn't find something healthy for me to eat.

Thank you so much for that post!! I truly needed that right about now. I started pre-op on Friday, surgery is Nov 1st and I am having a war inside my head. One min I am fine I can do this. The next I am watching my family eat what they want when they want. I keep thinking is this what I want for myself. Applesauce and Protein shakes, oh and my yummy 3oz of meat at dinner. I'm just scared I'm going to cancel my surgery because of my stupid jealousy of my family being able to enjoy the foods they want with no restrictions!!! Your post makes me feel better so thank you so much..I hope you are having a wonderful trip in that new beautiful healthy body of yours!!! I hope to be in your shoes soon!

You know what it is? It's unfair. It's unfair that we have bodies that don't process food like others' bodies do. It's unfair that we have to have this surgery while others eat junk and never put on weight.

It just is. I had to accept that and stop being angry about it because I sure as heck was angry about it. But then I accepted that I had been unfairly LUCKY in many ways in my life too, so it was okay that I got the bum end of the deal on this one.

The applesauce and Protein is just temporary and only so you can even the playing field in your favor a bit. It'll be worth it. Hang in there!

Thanks for this post! My surgery is scheduled for after the holidays in February, mostly because I'm saving money still (self pay) but also because part of me was worried that I wouldn't enjoy food after this so I wanted to make sure I enjoyed the holidays this year. Silly, I know but it did cross my mind.

Happy vacation and great post. I think Mexican food is the easiest cuisine to eat healthy, for me anyway. Have a wonderful time!

You know what it is? It's unfair. It's unfair that we have bodies that don't process food like others' bodies do. It's unfair that we have to have this surgery while others eat junk and never put on weight. It just is. I had to accept that and stop being angry about it because I sure as heck was angry about it. But then I accepted that I had been unfairly LUCKY in many ways in my life too' date=' so it was okay that I got the bum end of the deal on this one. The applesauce and Protein is just temporary and only so you can even the playing field in your favor a bit. It'll be worth it. Hang in there![/quote']

Thank you!!! You are so right!! Your words of wisdom are so helpful, Btw I love all the recipes you have posted. ;). They look awesome I will be trying them.

Great words of wisdom Gamergirl! I have found what you said to be true for the dinners I make- I was worried I wouldn't be able to be a foodie anymore, but I still enjoy eating and cooking 3 months out from being sleeved as much as I did before. Just less food! :). We're going to Arizona to visit family soon and that will be our first vacation since my surgery. I hope our vacation goes as smoothly as yours is! Have a great time in Mexico!