Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss Poll - Please post your experience to help others

Hair Loss Poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. For people >= 8 months post op: At what month did hair loss start?

• I am 8 mos or more out and I never had hair loss.
    • Hair loss started about 1 month out
    • Hair loss started about 2 months out
    • Hair loss started about 3 months out
    • Hair loss started about 4 months out
    • Hair loss started about 5 months out
    • Hair loss started about 6 months out
    • Hair loss started about 7 months out
    • Hair loss started about 8 months or more out
  2. 2. How many months did actually hair loss last?

• Actual Hair loss lasted about 1 month
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 2 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 3 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 4 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 5 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 6 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 7 months
    • Actual Hair loss lasted about 8 months or more.
    • No Hair Loss so 0 months
  3. 3. Rapid weight loss and major surgery are both factors for hair loss even for non-sleevers. We have two of those which increases our chances even more. What did you feel contributed to your hair loss?

• Not taking vitamins
    • Low iron
    • Low protein intake
    • Rapid weight loss
    • The surgery itself
    • N/A I had no hair loss.

I just never wash it... LOL

Hahahaha is THAT what it is?!

So I was told some people just lose it as a response to surgery even if their nutrition is perfect. I have massive hair volume so some thinning was fine for me. I wonder if I will lose hair post plastic surgery?

This whole notion of taking Biotin to prevent Hair loss. Does it actually work? It is constantly recommended here on VST and the product is advertised and marketed for strong healthy hair, yet we lose our hair anyways. I did not take the biotin, but there are so many others who have, especially women. If it is not going to work, it would be best to communicate it that way in order for folks to save money. Agree?

This whole notion of taking Biotin to prevent hair loss. Does it actually work? It is constantly recommended here on VST and the product is advertised and marketed for strong healthy hair' date=' yet we lose our hair anyways. I did not take the Biotin, but there are so many others who have, especially women. If it is not going to work, it would be best to communicate it that way in order for folks to save money. Agree?[/quote']

Agreed. I think biotin is misrepresented. I had to have emergency surgery last year and as a result I loss a lot of hair. I started taking biotin (cause I have seen it improve my horses coat) and doing vinegar rinses with my hair. I also switched to a sulfate free Shampoo. My hair still fell out but my stylist was impressed with the quality of my hair that was there. I plan to keep up my routine post op; not in hopes to prevent the Hair loss cause that is a hopeless battle, but to maintain the quality of hair I do have. Just my thoughts.

This whole notion of taking Biotin to prevent hair loss. Does it actually work? It is constantly recommended here on VST and the product is advertised and marketed for strong healthy hair' date=' yet we lose our hair anyways. I did not take the Biotin, but there are so many others who have, especially women. If it is not going to work, it would be best to communicate it that way in order for folks to save money. Agree?[/quote']

There is no scientific evidence to support the use of biotin, only anecdotal. Many VST users admit they don't know if it is helping, but take it anyway. Really there is nothing we can do except ensure we're keeping up with our Protein afterwards--and even that is just so we don't exacerbate it, not as a preventative . It will still fall out.

I put biotin in the superstitious behaviors category. We know it won't work, but it "might"! So some of us take it any way. I don't think we'll change people's minds about it.

I have been taking Biotin for a number of years. Started taking it after Protonix destroyed my fingernails. Now no more Protonix (it eats your bones too, by the way), and my nails are like Iron.

At 5 months my hair loss is minimal, a few more strands every day than before the surgery. But I take fish oil 2x a day, get 100 gm of Protein a day, use Revita Shampoo and conditioner. My head is full of new regrowths of hair.

Just had new bloodwork done. All vit levels were great, except it turns out I was low in zinc -- which can cause Hair loss. So now I have started taking zinc. Let's see if that helps stem the hair shedding.

This whole notion of taking Biotin to prevent hair loss. Does it actually work? It is constantly recommended here on VST and the product is advertised and marketed for strong healthy hair, yet we lose our hair anyways. I did not take the Biotin, but there are so many others who have, especially women. If it is not going to work, it would be best to communicate it that way in order for folks to save money. Agree?

Actually, from my limited understanding Biotin will NOT prevent Hair loss. It only helps with creating new growth.

I did take it about 2 months pre-op and for about 18 months post-op and I did regrow hair. Might have happened anyway, but I think the biotin helped regrow my hair.

I will say again, I don't think there is much you can do in the way of "preventing" loss. It seems to happen to so many. Those who don't experience any hair loss are in the minority.

I am losing heaps of hair every day when I wash my hair but my hair is so thick that honestly I don't care. I'm sure it will grow back so I don't stress.

I also lost loads of hair from months 3-7 (ish), by the handfulls! I have always eaten at least 1000 cals + a lot of Protein, I think the loss is just down to surgery and rapid weight loss.

Now nearly three years out...and my hair started coming out again (not as bad as before!!) a couple of months ago, which has happened pre-sleeve too. I think it's my GD thyroid acting up. Siiiiiggghhhh....

At a little less than 3 months out, mine is falling out. And I already have short hair. And it's already very thin. So I'm pretty much SOL. I've been wondering about extensions but I don't know how those work when you have short hair? Does anyone know?

My face is still too fat and round to cut super short, like a pixie, so I will just have to rock the semi-bald chick look with a confidence I will have to fake.

I also lost loads of hair from months 3-7 (ish)' date=' by the handfulls! I have always eaten at least 1000 cals + a lot of Protein, I think the loss is just down to surgery and rapid weight loss. Now nearly three years out...and my hair started coming out again (not as bad as before!!) a couple of months ago, which has happened pre-sleeve too. I think it's my GD thyroid acting up. Siiiiiggghhhh....[/quote']

Evening primrose oil. Seriously. You can thank me later. I'f the Hair loss is due to the thyroid, do 1000 gms of EPO every day. Only thing that helps with mine. The difference between when I take it and don't is so marked, it's not funny.

At a little less than 3 months out, mine is falling out. And I already have short hair. And it's already very thin. So I'm pretty much SOL. I've been wondering about extensions but I don't know how those work when you have short hair? Does anyone know? My face is still too fat and round to cut super short, like a pixie, so I will just have to rock the semi-bald chick look with a confidence I will have to fake.

I tell my friends I am the only woman I know with male patterned baldness! Hair loss continues and seriously, getting to scary stage. Of course, I also have NO hormones so I'm screwed. Lol. Full hysto and Dr won't prescribe hormone therapy now. Tried replacement therapy. Didn't help. I'm with you I may be at the hair club soon. Already use BeautiControl powder stuff to hide it somewhat. Very very irritating.

Im at 6 months out, down 83 lbs, and havent lost any hair.

I think I may be in the clear at this point....

Will come back & vote when I am at 8 mos

I tell my friends I am the only woman I know with male patterned baldness! Hair loss continues and seriously, getting to scary stage. Of course, I also have NO hormones so I'm screwed. Lol. Full hysto and Dr won't prescribe hormone therapy now. Tried replacement therapy. Didn't help. I'm with you I may be at the hair club soon. Already use BeautiControl powder stuff to hide it somewhat. Very very irritating.

Find a new doctor. HRT is safe and effective for most women. I had a hyst at 32 and I need to be on it until my 60s and you can be sure I did my research. I'm only 35 now so that's a long time.