Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Anybody getting sleeved in Indiana or surrounding area?

So many people have so many different experiences...some have incredible support and love, and others just get negativity and judgment. This is OUR time...this is OUR journey! (I feel like I should have "The Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background)

Ok, this cracked me up lol. Love it!

I cannot believe by this time in 4 weeks I'll most likely be recovering in my hospital room. Wow. People weren't kidding when they said the time would fly by.

Ok, this cracked me up lol. Love it!

I cannot believe by this time in 4 weeks I'll most likely be recovering in my hospital room. Wow. People weren't kidding when they said the time would fly by.

That is SO true Mel...I honestly thought it would NEVER get here...now it's just 23 days away for me. Funny story, on the way home from the fitness center this morning, we passed by the local Christian radio station here (as we do every morning). For the past several weeks, there little sign has had "24 hour Christmas music starts in __ days". The first time I noticed the sign, it said 23 days....today it said 11 days. I said to my husband "didn't we JUST see a few days ago when it said 23 days?" I was just sure it said 23 days just last week...that's how quickly the time is flying for sure...and with the holiday's next week...it's going to be a blur!

my BMI is over 50, but my doctor isn't having me do any pulmonary tests. Then it seems every doctor is different.

Same here... My BMI is over 50 (5'2 and 285).

Hey December Sleevers!

I just received my approval last week and my surgery date is December 16th!!!! My process went faster than expected. It took about two months to get all my requirements done: Family doctor approval, Nutritionist appointment, and one psych eval. Have BCBS of IL. Im 27yrs old, 5'8 @274lbs. Ive always had a problem with my weight so im super excited for my day to come. Have you guys been apprehensive about telling people? I've had to stop since I keep getting all negative feedback.

I haven't told anyone except my HR rep and my direct supervisor. My supervisor had RNY last year and has lost over 100 pounds.

Hello all. I am scheduled for December 23rd. Male, 40, 5'11", overweight my whole life (currently at 409; in the past 10 years I've been as high as 433 and as low as 366). My insurance does not cover any bariatric surgery, regardless of co-morbidities (of which I have plenty), so going the cash pay/self pay route. If the EGD confirms the presence of a hiatal hernia, insurance will pay for about 25% of the total costs, which would be nice. (Never in my life did I expect to be hoping for a hernia.)

My surgeon still requires most of the typical pre-op items even though I'm cash pay, so far everything has gone well. My PCP was able to do the blood work, ECG, gall bladder ultrasound, etc. Already met with the nutritionist and the psychologist. Only major hurdle left, other than the dreaded pre-op diet, is the EGD, which is scheduled for early December.

I spent this weekend having my final round of food funerals and am starting the pre-op diet today. (If the concept of a "food funeral" doesn't provide an insight into my dysfunctional relationship with food, I don't know what does.) My surgeon would like me to lose 25-30 pounds prior to surgery, which I can easily do in 5 weeks if I stick to the diet. So far, so good (5 hours down; 4.999 weeks to go. Cravings, what cravings?)

I have been slowly telling people, first my wife (who was obviously involved in the decision), then immediate family, then my boss, and now a few close friends. Everyone, so far, has been extremely supportive. I am ready to have this now and get it over with, but waiting until the end of December will make things much easier in terms of missing work.

Same here... My BMI is over 50 (5'2 and 285).

I'm 5'2" and 235. I used to be 260 but my center wanted me to lose 20 pounds.

I told my family after the seminar. I only had one who really didn't want me to go through with it. She still doesn't but is more supportive. Then my bf told his family and they are happy with it. Then later on I told some friends and they were like go for it. After that I posted on Facebook and no one really cared lol.

Hi everyone. I was on the schedule for December 9th, but due to unforeseen circumstances have had to reschedule. We think it will be December 16. This is not ideal for me but my husband was having some health issues that had to be addressed. He will only be home for two or three days before having to leave to go to work. So I am hoping everything goes really smoothly and I want to have any issues afterwards.

So if u can be moved to the 26th I'm hoping this is my final. If it doesn't happen then, it will be April of next year before I could do it

Hi everyone. I was on the schedule for December 9th, but due to unforeseen circumstances have had to reschedule. We think it will be December 16. This is not ideal for me but my husband was having some health issues that had to be addressed. He will only be home for two or three days before having to leave to go to work. So I am hoping everything goes really smoothly and I want to have any issues afterwards.

So if u can be moved to the 26th I'm hoping this is my final. If it doesn't happen then, it will be April of next year before I could do it

Okay all. I am having to move my surgery from the ninth to the 16th. My husband was having some health issues that had to be addressed. This is not my ideal day but it is better than April of next year. LOL if I don't have the 16th, I will be looking at April.

Hello all. I have to change my surgery date from December 9 2D decrmber 16th. It is not my ideal date but due to some health problems my husband was having, the move is necessary. If I don't have it done the 16th, it will be April of next year before I can have it. So fingers crossed the state will work.

After reading all of the post about unsupportive friends and family members, I have to say, I am so fortunate. I have many coworkers who have had this done and they are all extremely supportive. My family knows the struggles I have had over the past 25 years with my weight. They have seen me fighting and fighting and it has been a losing battle.

LOL I am at other end of the spectrum. I have told everybody I am having it done! If has inspired so many people to start the process of research and looking into it for themselves. If anyone has not been supportive, they have kept it to themselves. Of course I have had concerns friends who although they don't want me to have the surgery, a very supportive of my decision. They understand my reasons for it.

If there are haters they are flying under my radar and that's Judy fine with me :)

After reading all of the post about unsupportive friends and family members, I have to say, I am so fortunate. I have many coworkers who have had this done and they are all extremely supportive. My family knows the struggles I have had over the past 25 years with my weight. They have seen me fighting and fighting and it has been a losing battle.

LOL I am at other end of the spectrum. I have told everybody I am having it done! If has inspired so many people to start the process of research and looking into it for themselves. If anyone has not been supportive, they have kept it to themselves. Of course I have had concerns friends who although they don't want me to have the surgery, a very supportive of my decision. They understand my reasons for it.

If there are haters they are flying under my radar and that's Judy fine with me :)