Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?

What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?

• I look for any menu item with some sort of lean protein and plan to eat only the protein (for example, I only eat the turkey and leave the bun if I get a turkey burger).
    • I ask the server if I can have some grilled chicken and steamed vegetables.
    • I order whatever looks good and plan to just eat a couple of bites. You might as well take advantage of the restaurant’s good cooking!
    • I bring my own food so I can enjoy spending time with everyone else while they eat the restaurant’s food.
    • I don’t go to restaurants anymore. There’s nothing I can eat with my weight loss surgery.

The biggest reaction I get when I eat out is over the fact that I order' date=' specifically, no drink. This simple request causes a great deal of confusion and even occasional concern (i.e. "Oh my! did your waitress neglect to get your drink?! Can't I get you something? Not even Water?").[/quote']

I used to get this a lot. Rather than stress out the server, I just order a Water and push it far away from me. They never notice I don't drink anything and it's much better than freaking them out. :)

I used to get this a lot. Rather than stress out the server, I just order a Water and push it far away from me. They never notice I don't drink anything and it's much better than freaking them out. :)

Me too! Me too!

Insofar as what I order, I'm 9 weeks post op, so I only order appetizers.

The biggest reaction I get when I eat out is over the fact that I order, specifically, no drink. This simple request causes a great deal of confusion and even occasional concern (i.e. "Oh my! did your waitress neglect to get your drink?! Can't I get you something? Not even Water?").

YES!!!!!

If possible, I will look at the restaurants menu online, lots of times they have the nutritional values and you can decide what you want by that.

I eat out often as we travel a lot. Never had a problem getting something healthy and lean. It's been there all along, we just have to look for it. If nothing else, I will ask for grilled chicken or fish and steamed veggies. Never been turned down yet and have not starved to death. :)

I do either 1 or 3 from above. Either way I get usually 3 meals out of a meal and since I love to get a "good deal" it makes me very happy!

At upscale places, I usually order an "add on" like grilled shrimp, or scallops. Or I get an extra plate and steal a few bites from my hubby, and daughter. If we are at a Mexican place I will get some pintos, or a single steak taco, I leave the shell behind and eat the filling. At the local Chinese place I get a small cashew chicken, and what I don't eat makes for lunch the next day. I tell them very very little rice. I will have a bite or 2 with each meal. My favorite place to eat out is chipotle, I get a soft chicken taco, with a little of each kind of Beans, very light rice, chicken, fresh tomatoes, some sour cream, and light cheese. Again I just leave the taco shell behind. I get chili at Wendy's, or a grilled chicken sandwich with no bun. Also burger king does a "low carb" option on every sandwich they offer. It's all the veggies and meat with no bun, in a side salad container. I had a whopper jr made low carb for lunch today, it was the perfect lunch for $1.50. There are options anywhere you go, you just have to look for the right choice. I also always ask if they bread their chicken or fish on site. If so I can ask for things to be super lightly breaded. You would be amazed at the places that can do just that.

It's kind of a game for us now... the husband thinks it's funny that we can eat so cheaply (thanks sleeve) so I eat off his plate... 5 bites of steak... nibble the tomatoes from his salad and I am done.

I order my own plate, it's something that will stay long fresh enough to get 4 meals out of it, kids meal or an appetizer. :)

My husband and I are both sleeved. When we go out together, we order a few appetizers and share them and take leftovers home.

But when I travel alone for work, it's insides of. I order the "Insides of" a lot. The insides of a fish taco, no shell; the insides of a crab cake sandwich, no bread. Confuses the heck out of the waiters but it works for me. Yesterday it was a crab cake sandwich but no bread or fries. Today the client had boxed sandwich lunches. I gave away my cookie and are the insides of a roast beef sandwich which was basically meat and cheese. Snacking on chicken satay at the hotel now, and expect to order crab cake or shrimp cocktail at dinner with the client tonight. When alone and traveling I'm pretty much restricted to appetizers and sides and can't even consider Entrees.

I'm on holiday at the moment so there is a lot of eating out.

Ve been ordering fish or shellfish. If I'm out at lunch I will order a small grilled chicken salad.

Last night we went to a Very fancy restaurant here on maui and I ordered 2 appetisers I had sashimi (ate 2peices) and a crab cake for my main (ate half) and it was fantastic.

I alway order what I know will go down easily and mostly earthy choices but I am not counting calories but I do pay attention to my Protein intake.

I don't actually like to cook so I eat out all the time. Or go to a place like Whole Foods for the salad or hot food bar. Generally I order something with grilled chicken, turkey, a lean hamburger without the bun. Steak is a little tough for me to eat, so it is a rare choice.

Boston Market is one of my go to places. chicken or turkey market bowl in a to go bowl. Eat half there; take the rest home. I take a lot of food home. Ruby Tuesdays knows how to cook vegetables just right and have good, moist chicken.

Most restaurants have healthy choices if that's what you want. Even Denney's (although food quality leaves alot to be desired).

And, as long as I am not traveling, I always get a to go box.

I'm only two weeks out. We've gone out once and I ate off my husbands plate. I ordered a side of veggies, but only ate one little piece of broccoli and one little piece of zuchinni. It was an odd experience - especially because we haven't been out to a restaurant in week in about 6 weeks. It will absolutely help the out to dinner food budget! lol!!!

Order what I want for the most part, but modify it. Tend to stay on the appetizer menu or kids menu. Burger, no bun no fries. chicken soft taco (corn tortilla instead of flower, easy cheese). Cringe when my g/f wants to go to a more upscale place. They are NOT WLS friendly (can't order kids menu w/e). Usually I'll order an appetizer knowing she'll share it with me. And of course nibble off her plate. She's an eater, which makes it hard. I try to not order anything and do an add-on to her meal, but she always insists on an appetizer. Or tells me just to order a chicken plate and I can eat the rest later. I do LOVE leftovers, makes for a good 2-3 meals..however, prefer to not spend money when I don't need to. I think she likes me to order food so people don't look at us...or maybe so she doesn't feel 'like a pig'.. that's my guess.

(shrugs).

I avoid it as much as possible unless it's necessary. I had one of my toughest choices going to meet friends at a restaurant that only served pub food, where i just ate the insides of shrimp tacos to get a few pieces of shrimp and cabbage in. Sometimes it's really hard to find options that aren't stuffed with hidden calories - wings that are fried, meat that has sauces, salads that have just tons of random cheese and croutons. But if they have the option to add grilled chicken to a ceasar salad or something, then the waitstaff are pretty willing to give me just a chicken breast and some side veggies.

Whenever possible, look at the menu's nutritional information online beforehand or ask the staff if they have a sheet available. After a lifetime of bad choices, you'll be surprised at the times that you think you're being "good" by picking something that turns out to have way more calories than you would ever eat at a normal meal at home, even if the components sound healthy.

Fish, fish and more fish are my go-to options. Sashimi, broiled or baked fish (I ask for as little oil/butter as possible. I have dumping from too much fat, so I just say that the oil 'doesn't agree with me'). Haven't had a single problem finding something that works, and we've been out a bunch in the last 9 weeks! It's nice to go and feel normal.

I look over the menu and pick out the Protein I would like and ask the waiter/waitress to substitute the carb sides for veggies, and a side salad. I haven't been to a restaurant yet that can't meet my dietary needs. :)