Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you still eat in restaurants?

All I was saying is that it scares me to think that even after having this surgery we can eat wherever or whatever we want... when that is what got me fat in the first place. I dont know about anyone else but I'm a food addict .. and hearing this is like a crack addict hearing that someday they will be able to smoke crack again .. in moderation .. its scary and unsettling. But if anyone wants to take offense to what I said .. then fine. I guess this isn't a good place for discussion. We are expected to agree and ride the same band wagon I guess.

This is a great place for discussion, so long as that discussion doesn't involve insulting other people and calling them "nuts" for their decisions. Do that, and yes, some people will call you on it. As it simply isn't polite and does not lead to positive discourse.

Difference is good, as we are all different and that is very much obvious once you start to hear about the different journeys post sleeves have. The key is not to make assumptions.

You consider yourself a food addict, many don't. I know I am not a food addict nor have I ever been. So don't assume that because you have emotional issues with food that others became obese because they share this. They don't. If you can get the sleeve and never, ever again darken the door of a fast food restaurant, or mindlessly scoff a bag of potato chips six months post surgery, or enjoy a piece of cake on your birthday then more power to you. You will be in the minority.

The biggest mistake you can make pre sleeve is in believing it is some thing magical. It isn't. It is simply a tool, all it does is significantly reduce the volume of food you can consume, and, if you are like me and one of the lucky ones, it can alter the production of the hormone ghrelin and significantly reduce your hunger. It may, like many, impact on your ability to consume overly fatty or sweet foods. Awesome. But that doesn't happen for everyone.

Ultimately, once you are past the first year, this journey really does require you to be mindful and make good choices. You can make just as poor choices at home as you can in a restaurant. You need to resolve whatever psychological issues you have with addiction and food because the sleeve is not a magically bullet that will blow them away for good. It still comes down to you at the end of the day and your ability to choose well. It still comes back to you being able to say "no" in the face of endless and often relentless poor food options.

And believe me, you can still eat a phenomenal amount of 'slider' foods like chips and ice cream. Foods that are pure dirty and slide down that sleeve easier than Water did pre sleeve. Which, oddly enough, doesn't slide down that easily post sleeve for me.

All I was saying is that it scares me to think that even after having this surgery we can eat wherever or whatever we want... when that is what got me fat in the first place. I dont know about anyone else but I'm a food addict .. and hearing this is like a crack addict hearing that someday they will be able to smoke crack again .. in moderation .. its scary and unsettling. But if anyone wants to take offense to what I said .. then fine. I guess this isn't a good place for discussion. We are expected to agree and ride the same band wagon I guess.

Of course we aren't expected to agree or ride the same band wagon... There is a huge diversity in how each of us go about our post op experience and in the things we eat... I would guess most are very aware of how they became overweight and now it's... at least for me at this point... a constant awareness of food and what I need to do to make it all work the way I'm supposed to... That's coming with trial and error... For some that includes more eating out than others... I honestly don't think I've read any post for sleevers where they are unwilling to make the effort to their their relationship with food... We're all different and that's the beauty of things... We have the opportunity to learn from someone else because their experience is different...

@LouiseC .. you seem to take particular offense to what I've said ... why? Did it touch a nerve? I never called anyone specifically nuts like you said. I said the act of going through this surgery and then eating junk is nuts .. and it is. The act is nuts .. not the people. Geez. Any who. I passed my psych evaluation just the same as you so before you advise me to deal with my issues please take inventory of your own. Just because you are post-op and have lost some weight doesn't make you automatically right.

@LouiseC .. you seem to take particular offense to what I've said ... why? Did it touch a nerve? I never called anyone specifically nuts like you said. I said the act of going through this surgery and then eating junk is nuts .. and it is. The act is nuts .. not the people. Geez. Any who. I passed my psych evaluation just the same as you so before you advise me to deal with my issues please take inventory of your own. Just because you are post-op and have lost some weight doesn't make you automatically right.

I think there has been opportunity given to help you understand someone else's perspective... LouiseC and her situation... She's speaking for herself and trying to help you... She knows her experience better than anyone and in that respect she would be right in what she says... I think you're feeling quite sensitive about the responses that you've gotten... I initially was taken back by the harshness of what you posted... HOWEVER... I take from everyone what is helpful and file away what doesn't apply... At least at this point... It helps when your looking for comments that are applicable to you or where you can help someone else... A wee bit of a head up... no matter how much prep you do before surgery... you are not nearly as prepared as you'd think for after surgery... I have personally experienced this and have been grateful to find a site with others who have shared their experiences... It certainly has benefited me... Please use it for the good in it... Assumptions and criticisms aren't helpful to anyone... I don't think...

I wasn't required to have psych evaluation but congratulations to you on passing yours. You didn't strike a nerve, perhaps you are reading emotion into my text that simply isn't there? Seriously, I am not at all bothered. I don't really eat fast food, didn't much before surgery, and only very, very rarely post surgery so there was nothing in your comments that bothered me.

I just thought your comments odd given that only one person in this whole thread had even mentioned MacDonalds and even then that was in reference to a grilled chicken salad. Yet your reading comprehension translated that into something so very different, and elicited a very self righteous yet uninformed response.

I was trying to help you understand some of the realities of the sleeve post surgery, I believe knowledge and understanding is the key to making this work. Your experiences may very well differ and best of luck to you with that. That was, after all, the whole point of my second post. Difference. What works for one will not work for another. And you simply do not know, prior to being sleeved, what it will be like for you despite whatever you imagine. None of us did.

I haven't lost 'some weight', I have lost a significant amount of weight. I am incredibly proud of what I have achieved and know it is through my hard work, commitment, mindfulness, and conscious decision making that I have had such success. I hope if I am ever self righteous about it that someone slaps me down. I know the hard work involved, and do my level headed best not to judge the decisions others make. People will find what works for them, even when it is different to what works for me.

As for 'issues', you are the one who openly states you are an addict. Being an addict isn't 'cured' with the sleeve. Addiction is a serious psychological condition. It requires serious response.

Edited by LouiseC

We had a busy weekend with a basketball tournament for my son. We had to eat out twice on Saturday. I got sick of ordering a full meal to only eat a few bites. I ended up sharing my husband's meal. It doesnt bither him any more because I eat so little. I had scrambled eggs with cheese and a sausage patty for Breakfast. For dinner i had the insides of a French Dip sandwich (i admit to having a couple of bites of the bread as well).

We have not been to a restraunt that has charged for the plate yet. Some will and we do not go back to those places.

I just llan on leftovers if i order my own entree.

Alrighty then! Back to the subject matter.... A friend came into town unexpectedly and we have a favorite local restaurant she wanted to go to. Of course they have amazing BBQ which I can't eat, but they also have an amazing French onion Soup. I just asked them to bring me the broth....no onions, no bread, no cheese :(. But it was still really good and we had a nice visit. Of course she had the BBQ and ate it in front of me without remorse, just as I would have done!

Edited by Kindle

I am in the soft food stage and find it more difficult to eat in restaurants than the liquid stage. If I order Soup I can only have the broth due to the drinking while eating rule. Also, I can't do regular chicken breast yet and am not willing to pay $13 for salmon.

some of my favorites: Wendy's with onions and fat free cheddar cheese, Chipotle chicken bowl double meat 1/2 serving of rice (gives me about 6 servings, 160 cals per serving 17g protein)

If you are expecting your surgery to make you not be able to eat certain things, you might want to get the bypass. It seems that GS does not provide those limitations to a large majority of people as bypass does. It will make your stomach smaller but it won't fix eating disorders or a persons head.

It's all about choices no matter what you're eating and where you're eating it.

The surgery didn't take away our ability to chose which foods we eat - there are temptations all around us. When driving down the road have I thought, "Wow, I want McDonalds fries"? Sure, but I now that I shouldn't have them. Will I eat a fry ever agin? I'm guessing I will. I just can't eat an entire large order of fries as I did in the past, my sleeve won't allow me to.

I'm scared to death that I now have no restrictions on my diet. Doc says to eat what I want - keeping with my parameters of 80 grams of Protein and about 50 grams of carbs. I'm scared that my sleeve has accepted all the foods I've thrown at it - I'm scared because it opens up all kinds of possibilities for eating. I have to CHOSE to eat the things I know are good for me and CHOSE to not eat the stuff that got me to 256 pounds.

Not sure. Never heard of that for "Here" meals. have heard of that for "to go" meals. We don't have a Golden Corral on the West Coast. We like to go there cuz hubby is a low carber and he can get his fill of meat and veggies...

Where do you live? You said here on the west coast we don't have Golden Corral! But we actually do!

I live in So Ca. I've never seen a Golden Corral on the west coast. I moved 4 yrs ago from Va where they were abundant. Where r u and where r the Golden Corrals?

I am a General Manager at a McDonald's. So, I face fast food all day long. I do pack some lunch or Snacks. But there are times I want to eat.. I just have to make the right decision. Instead of trying to eat a steak bagel, I only get the steak and eat that.

I think I'm doing pretty good considering all the food around me.

<p>I am a General Manager at a McDonald's. So, I face fast food all day long. I do pack some lunch or Snacks. But there are times I want to eat.. I just have to make the right decision. Instead of trying to eat a steak bagel, I only get the steak and eat that.</p> <p>I think I'm doing pretty good considering all the food around me.</p>

I can't even imagine how hard that would be. Stay strong!!