Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you still eat in restaurants?

I don't really like to cook, so I eat out most of the time. Boston Market is my go to place. Their turkey or chicken market bowls are easy and the meat is moist so it goes down easy. Get food in a to go container, eat 1/2 at restaurant and the rest at home.

These are available in the freezer section now too, for those of us not lucky enough to have a Boston Market near us. The closest one to my house is 2.5 hours away. I'm in north Florida and it's in Orlando. We ALWAYS have dinner there when we do a day in the theme parks.

I just went to Corner Bakery with my husband. I ordered a side of chicken (the smaller portion that is usually added to a salad) and a side of bleu cheese. 33g Protein for $2.50, and no one treated me like a weirdo.

post-165959-0-27529600-1385438090_thumb.jpg

At In-n-Out Burger, you can order burgers "protein style," and they come wrapped in lettuce leaves. I've done a similar thing at Arby's: requested the chicken salad served in a bowl atop lettuce leaves instead of bread. When my wonky thyroid required dropping gluten, I learned many restaurants easily accommodate special requests. Don't be afraid to order a la carte or modify anything.

<span style="font-size:11.818181991577148px;">I have also been known to ask for them to make me a salad with no lettuce, and every place is happy to do it. It ends up being the grilled chicken, and the toppings. My favorite is from Wendy's, I get a half sized grilled apple salad, no lettuce. The container is 1/2 a grilled chicken breast, a few small chunks of apple, some blue cheese, a few cherry tomatoes, and a side packet of walnuts. It comes with a rasberry balsamic dressing on the side. It's the perfect lunch or dinner, and I can eat almost all of it, at one sitting. I save the walnuts for a snack later in the day. </span>

Great idea! I'm going to go this when I'm allowed to eat again! :)

I went to statehouse twice. Had Soup and salad only. Small amount of Soup first then carefully selected salad including chicken.

I tried some stake at an Italian restaurant and had to through out. Same happened at an Indian restaurant.

Since then I keep a plastic bag with me just in case I have to empty my stomach. U know.

I prefer to go to restaurants where I can order a takeout. Always avoid fatty or too spicy food.

I can eat out but honestly, it is more for the atmosphere than the food. I really don't enjoy restaurant food anymore and I loved to eat out before. I must be weird, but the more I learn how to prepare my own foods and follow the recommended diet, the less tolerance I have for anyone else's cooking. So I enjoy a meal out once in awhile and there are a few things I like from certain restaurants, but its not something I look forward to anymore.

There is another current thread on feeling like eating out being a waste which gives some suggestions. This is part of the post I made in that thread -

Mostly, we choose restaurants with shared small or tasting plates - tapas for Spanish, yakatori for Japanese, yum char for Chinese, tasting or degustation type meals in fine dining places and platters or shared plates in bistros or gastro pubs. We can order four tapas plates, for example, and I will enjoy one thing on each plate and my husband gets a regular sized meal from the remainder. We find it good value for good quality food. Most importantly, I don't feel my money is wasted nor does my husband feel he has to polish off what I leave! Our local cafe we brunch in on weekends know about my sleeve and they are super accommodating. Getting to know people at a regular and locally owned place where the menu isn't set by some corporate elsewhere certainly helps. Plus, you are likely to be getting better quality food. When alone I usually go for soup! So predictable. Tonight I am in a hotel and dined out at a yakatori place with two plates, one of chicken tsukune and the other mushroom yakatori. It was divine and very reasonably priced. So there are other options for reasonably priced and quality food served in portions that suit the sleeve.

Are people still able to eat out post op? If so, how do you do it? Sugessions on particular restaurants or any other thougjts?

My nutritionist gave me a card to show I had weight loss surgery. Many restaurants allow me to order from the childrens menu, where without the card they would not. More often, my husband and I will simply order one meal and I will take what little id like. I always order Water and so we have literally cut our bill in half. I've also ordered ala carte before as well. There are plenty of good and healthy options for us.

I can eat out but honestly, it is more for the atmosphere than the food. I really don't enjoy restaurant food anymore and I loved to eat out before. I must be weird, but the more I learn how to prepare my own foods and follow the recommended diet, the less tolerance I have for anyone else's cooking. So I enjoy a meal out once in awhile and there are a few things I like from certain restaurants, but its not something I look forward to anymore.

I think it's great to be able to cook and enjoy your own food more than eating out... It's certainly much healthier and can be lots more flavorful, not to mention cheaper!!! My husband and I are great cooks, and yet I do look forward to eating out. I have noticed it's not the experience it used to be and its nice to have lots of good and decent options.

Reading the posts here really frightens me. Is it not just a little nuts to have 90% of your stomach removed only to be eating at McDonald's again? I thought the sleeve would work similarly to the bypass in the sense that it would severely restrict the amount and types of foods that are consumable. To hear so many say you can eat wherever and whatever is scary and sad to me. If we could get away with eating wherever and whatever then we wouldn't be obese in the first place. I for one will not put myself through surgery only to repeat the same mistakes that got me here in the first place. The definition of insanity is to repeat the same action while expecting a different result each time ... and I am done being crazy. Ugh.

Reading the posts here really frightens me. Is it not just a little nuts to have 90% of your stomach removed only to be eating at McDonald's again? I thought the sleeve would work similarly to the bypass in the sense that it would severely restrict the amount and types of foods that are consumable. To hear so many say you can eat wherever and whatever is scary and sad to me. If we could get away with eating wherever and whatever then we wouldn't be obese in the first place. I for one will not put myself through surgery only to repeat the same mistakes that got me here in the first place. The definition of insanity is to repeat the same action while expecting a different result each time ... and I am done being crazy. Ugh.

In three pages of comments I only see ONE person mention they can eat at MacDonalds, and that was referring to a grilled chicken salad. Every poster refers to eating differently and making different choices when AT&T here restaurants. Now I don't go to MacDonalds, that would be a real rarity for me, but I still have treats on occasion and I am not going to beat my self up about it. The sleeve is a tool not a life sentence.

I am really pleased for you that pre surgery you are already 100% certain that you will never, ever again eat anything that isn't 100% healthy. Most of us, like me at twenty months post OP and 130 pounds lost, are human and do occasionally enjoy eating something that is a treat. I look forward to hearing from you when you are over a year out about just how easy you are finding maintaining such self righteousness.

Edited by LouiseC

I think the most important thing to remember is that it's all about choice... You can go to McDonald's or probably anywhere and make a healthy choice... You can make an unhealthy one at home just a well!!! I believe the original concern was whether or not one could ever eat at a restaurant again... Of course you can... Part of the choice is keeping in mind the hierarchy of foods... Protein... Veggies... Fruit... I've personally found it's not nearly as easy as it sounds to make the wrong choice as many foods don't settle well anymore... My doctor told me... and yes... I realize every doctor might say something different... That it's important not to rob yourself of things you really like... Such as... one morning at work they were serving biscuits and gravy... my favorite... However... I went for cottage cheese and fruit and ONE piece of sausage... My doctor thought that was a great compromise... I don't do it everyday... It's protein... but I ate extra fat as well... I don't do things perfectly but I'm working hard on it and the weight is coming off... I've appreciated coming here for the support and would hate to see another leave because of serious critism...

I eat at McDonalds all the time. Just because I eat there doesn't mean I am not eating healthy. I have the grilled chicken caesar salad. I know exactly what is in there. There will be 3 oz of grilled chicken. There will be .5 oz of parmesan cheese. There will be 4 cherry tomatoes. Not a thing wrong with that. Can find similar things at Wendy's or any other fast food. It's actually a great go to when I'm out and have not had time to plan better. Lots of sleevers utilize the fast food tool. Don't knock it till you know the facts. There may come a day when I crave a McDonalds cheese burger. If that happens, I will go have it. (or part of it) Not a thing wrong with it unless it becomes an everyday thing.

I one of those with a sleeve of steel. I CAN eat anything. There is not a thing I have tried to eat with an adverse reaction. In the 10 months since I have been sleeved, I have not vomited, slimed, dumped or any other ailments that many folks have experienced. The sleeve restricts the amount but not the type of food you can eat. What you eat is up to you. Most successful sleevers do indulge from time to time. It's called real life. Just because I can eat whatever I want, doesn't mean I do all the time. I do on occasion.

The hard work begins the further out you are. We all followed our surgeons and NUT instructions in the months post op. That was the easy part. You will find that out. I'll be curious to know your thoughts about then.

Good luck to you.

All I was saying is that it scares me to think that even after having this surgery we can eat wherever or whatever we want... when that is what got me fat in the first place. I dont know about anyone else but I'm a food addict .. and hearing this is like a crack addict hearing that someday they will be able to smoke crack again .. in moderation .. its scary and unsettling. But if anyone wants to take offense to what I said .. then fine. I guess this isn't a good place for discussion. We are expected to agree and ride the same band wagon I guess.

All I was saying is that it scares me to think that even after having this surgery we can eat wherever or whatever we want... when that is what got me fat in the first place. I dont know about anyone else but I'm a food addict .. and hearing this is like a crack addict hearing that someday they will be able to smoke crack again .. in moderation .. its scary and unsettling. But if anyone wants to take offense to what I said .. then fine. I guess this isn't a good place for discussion. We are expected to agree and ride the same band wagon I guess.

I think it's good that you are hearing the reality of what the sleeve does and doesn't do for you in the long term. You need to know what lies ahead in order to be successful. The fact is you WILL be able to eat whatever you want (just smaller portions) and you need to be mentally prepared to make the right choices for the rest of your life. The sleeve will not stop you from eating a burger, or chips, or ice cream, or donuts, etc.

I personally welcome the advice of veterans because they know how to make their sleeve work in real life. If this reality is scary and unsettling for you, perhaps you need to think more about your decision. I am reading "Emergency First Aid Kit - Life after Bariatric Surgery" and it's helped me get in the right mindset for all the struggles that lie ahead for me.