Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh, do please shut up!

I know I haven't been here as long as you vets have(and I'm not getting sleeved til 22nd), but lately there seems to be so much

"Your liquid diet is going to suck way worse as you go, just watch out" or "the pain post op will be the worst pain you'll ever feel" kind of stuff. I'm just annoyed that others would drive fear into their posts when a lot of people are already scared.

Give THIS thread a read. I think you will find many, if not the majority of folks have a pretty smooth experience, but they just don't post about it. As far as the pre-surgery diet, different surgeon have different plans, so it is difficult to compare. Without the assistance of the sleeve, being disciplined to follow the pre-op diet can be difficult compounded with the stress that you are about to have 85% of your stomach removed ... I'm not going to kid you, for some people, it can be a difficult time.

Myself, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired so I was quite determined to get the sleeve and would have walked across hot coals to get it done. The first 3 days of the pre-op diet were the hardest, then I found my groove and all was well.

Good luck and keep posting your thoughts and questions.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/96538-confused-feel-the-same/

I know I haven't been here as long as you vets have(and I'm not getting sleeved til 22nd), but lately there seems to be so much

"Your liquid diet is going to suck way worse as you go, just watch out" or "the pain post op will be the worst pain you'll ever feel" kind of stuff. I'm just annoyed that others would drive fear into their posts when a lot of people are already scared.

Its truth. I always tell people to really think about if they want this because let me tell you... a small part of me feels like I've made a huge mistake. Pre Ops don't quite understand the psychological impact of this dramatic change. It messes with your head and while you start to shrink it will pull out the worst in you eventually (hopefully) getting to the best of you. I refuse to sugar coat this because I think about it every.single.day.

I'm an old hat at this forum (don't let the new profile fool you - this is my shameless promotions profile), and I know exactly what you're talking about. It does get tiresome to see the same posts over and over again, from different people. I do, some days, wish that people would use that cute little search function over there in the upper right hand corner ...

That being said, we were all newbies once, and we all had the same questions, the same fears, the same oh-my-God-I-just-ate-an-oreo-am-I-gonna-die moments. Some of us react differently than others to those moments. We can chose to freak out or not. For those that freak out a little more exuberantly than others, they may require a little more hand-holding and reassurance, and that's okay. We can see the post, chuckle a little, and either click to reply or not ...

I have not even gotten my date for this to happen for me, but I do think it's a mistake to get so wrapped up in the situation that you have to white knuckle your life away. I didn't decide to do this so I could give up every food I ever loved that wasn't the absolute best nutritional choice for me. I am choosing it because it will help me get better control. I will learn about great nutrition, but I have no illusions about me suddenly becoming perfect in my eating. I won't be. I don't even think I want to be. But I will do better and feel better and the weight will come off as it comes off. I will have a control tool, that's all...and I will learn as I go. I want to walk into this with realism.

A couple years ago, I believe, I made a comment about how I feared as the sleeve gained popularity, there would be less research done by folks researching this option of WLS. They only know that their friend did it and lost weight, so they are going to do it to. They never address the issues that led them to being morbidly obese and then are shocked when, post-sleeve, they cannot abuse food the way they used to. I'm afraid this is only going to be more and more prevalent as more and more people blindly get VSG.

I jumped blindly into the Atkins, South Beach, Cabbage but could easily pull the escape cord. That is not an option here. You have to know that when you get the VSG, you are going to have to make a fundamental change with your relationship with food. If you are not ready to do that, then you are not ready for the VSG.

Its truth. I always tell people to really think about if they want this because let me tell you... a small part of me feels like I've made a huge mistake. Pre Ops don't quite understand the psychological impact of this dramatic change. It messes with your head and while you start to shrink it will pull out the worst in you eventually (hopefully) getting to the best of you. I refuse to sugar coat this because I think about it every.single.day.

Wasn't it you, who just a few days post op yourself, told someone who had fallen a bit off the wagon, to simply stay on track or just not eat or something to that affect? :D

Things look a lot different as the weeks pass, don't they? ;)

A couple years ago, I believe, I made a comment about how I feared as the sleeve gained popularity, there would be less research done by folks researching this option of WLS. They only know that their friend did it and lost weight, so they are going to do it to. They never address the issues that led them to being morbidly obese and then are shocked when, post-sleeve, they cannot abuse food the way they used to. I'm afraid this is only going to be more and more prevalent as more and more people blindly get VSG.

I jumped blindly into the Atkins, South Beach, Cabbage but could easily pull the escape cord. That is not an option here. You have to know that when you get the VSG, you are going to have to make a fundamental change with your relationship with food. If you are not ready to do that, then you are not ready for the VSG.

I am struggling with this right now, hard core.

I believe this to be a normal reaction. The reality is often much different from the expectations. I think a majority of people have a point of where they say, "OMG, what have I done!?"

What matters, though, is how long that lasts. For me, it was about a day, then I pulled up my big boy underwear and dedicated myself to this journey. Others, can't get past it and wallow in self-pity for longer, usually accompanied by an ice cream shake from McDonalds.

:rolleyes:

Wasn't it you, who just a few days post op yourself, told someone who had fallen a bit off the wagon, to simply stay on track or just not eat or something to that affect? :D

Things look a lot different as the weeks pass, don't they? ;)

Immensely different from week to week.

I believe this to be a normal reaction. The reality is often much different from the expectations. I think a majority of people have a point of where they say, "OMG, what have I done!?"

What matters, though, is how long that lasts. For me, it was about a day, then I pulled up my big boy underwear and dedicated myself to this journey. Others, can't get past it and wallow in self-pity for longer, usually accompanied by an ice cream shake from McDonalds.

:rolleyes:

For some reason going into week 4 I am beginning to realize that this is where the rubber truly meets the road for me. I have got to find a new food identity right now. I start work again tomorrow after being off for a month. Real life is starting again soon and I better figure it out.

For some reason going into week 4 I am beginning to realize that this is where the rubber truly meets the road for me. I have got to find a new food identity right now. I start work again tomorrow after being off for a month. Real life is starting again soon and I better figure it out.

You will find your way. The first month was the most difficult for me. food wasn't appealing, I couldn't use food as a comfort, I was irritable and when I did eat something, it hurt and tasted like a cat's rear end.

Good news is that you will find your groove ... clothes start fitting looser ... people look at you in the eye ... women hold the door open for you ...

And then you're like, "Wow, this is cool" and you get re-invigorated and re-committed to your journey. Just stay focused and try to follow your medical team's suggestions as closely as you can.

I struggled a lot in the beginning (after the initial healing and special diets) because my head/emotions wanted to go back to my old pattern of using food to comfort myself. I didn't feel my emotions before, I ate them until I didn't feel anything. Food was my drug. After the sleeve, I couldn't eat enough to get my "high" anymore - to get to that place where I was numb. It was VERY uncomfortable to actually feel my emotions. After a lot of therapy before the sleeve and after, I'm a little better at letting myself feel without reaching for food to cope. The one thing that people need to know before surgery is the mental work is so much harder than the physical recovery. But if you don't do the work, you will likely end up right back were you started.

You will find your way. The first month was the most difficult for me. food wasn't appealing, I couldn't use food as a comfort, I was irritable and when I did eat something, it hurt and tasted like a cat's rear end.

Good news is that you will find your groove ... clothes start fitting looser ... people look at you in the eye ... women hold the door open for you ...

And then you're like, "Wow, this is cool" and you get re-invigorated and re-committed to your journey. Just stay focused and try to follow your medical team's suggestions as closely as you can.

I agree - seeing results and feeling better has been a big confidence boost. I'm at a much better place now than I was a few months ago.

Must follow this thread if only for entertainment purposes lol.

And by the way' date=' I had a baggie size serving of movie theatre popcorn this weekend and the earth stopped moving, there was chaos in the streets and I think I may have lost 10 hairs. This is exactly what I expected to happen though :)[/quote']

And you will never regain that lost nutrition opportunity (eye popping glare) or Its OK honey boo boo ("hugs and kisses") lol

Immensely different from week to week.

Yep...and wait till you're 1 year, 2 years, 3 years out. Wait till you hit maintenance.....or worse....stop losing 20 pounds from goal. It's an ever evolving process. But manageable with realistic expectations and self awareness.