Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JulieNYC's Extended Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift

Kareyquilts,

On the scarring, it's just not possible to predict how well someone will scar. Most people have a very thin, white scar that, though perceptible, is very manageable and totally worth it to get rid of the pannus. I can promise you that even if I had keloid scarring (which, thankfully, I don't) I'd still have wanted the surgery. Getting rid of the pannus made me perceptibly a thin person instead of a fat person. I would never have gotten there without it - I have a severe amount of excess skin, having been 350+ and only 5'1 1/2.

As to the numbness, that part's true. Almost everyone who has a TT is partially numb from the belly button to just above the pubic bone and it's a permanent loss. It's not complete numbness. I can feel my hand if I put it on my stomach, but it's a distant feeling. Like, it's not ticklish at all and I can barely feel someone touching it. If I have to get a shot, I'd want it in that 4 inch area (around the backside from my extended TT) because I really can't feel shots other than just a little pressure. Again, I knew this going into the surgery -- I can't imagine why your friend didn't! I thought it would be weird, but I'm totally used to it now. It was 100% worth it.

As to the redistribution of fat, Dad says this is true too, but that it's worth it. I don't know from first hand experience yet, because I haven't had the thigh lift part, and that's a major component. The theory is this: fat cells divide and make new fat cells when we gain weight. On the contrary, fat cells don't ever go away from dieting, they just shrink. So as formerly MO people, we have lots and lots of shrunken fat cells all over our bodies. So, when we have our stomach and thighs "lopped off" (for lack of a more delicate phrase), that leaves fat cells in our arms and breasts. If we gain any weight at all, our arms and breasts will probably get bigger (filling out the existing fat cells) before our bodies will make new fat cells in other places (like the stomach and legs). The solution? Don't gain weight. Or, have your arms done too. Or, don't have extensive Lipo with the skin removal in the LBL. I'm doing all of the above! These are issues to discuss with your PS. In my opinion they are not a reason to forego LBL.

If you saw my legs and butt, you'd completely understand why I have no hesitation about the thigh lift (i.e. the second half of the LBL). They are really horrific in terms of excess skin. I'll post pre-op pics -- I just can't force myself to do it until I have the post-op pics to go along with them. It's too depressing. I know that when you look at my post-op TT pics (that intentionally crop out my thighs), it's hard to imagine (my Dad did such a good job -- thank you Dad), but my legs are really, really bad. It throws everything off and is super depressing to think about.

I can't wait for November 8th.

Julie: Thank you so much for answering my questions so thoroughly! I really appreciate it. I think I'll be fine with all those complications too, but I'm going to think about it for a while. I know that I would be 1 or 2 sizes smaller if it werent for my stomach which is where I was the heaviest and am now because of the excess skin. Now, how do you know when you should get the procedure, when the optimum time is. I'm not sure how much more weight I should lose. I think at least 10 more pounds, decisions, decisions! Thanks again for your support!

Hey, Julie -- I have an appointment in 2 weeks to talk to a plastic surgeon. I'm still 30 lbs from my goal weight, though. I plan on having my arms done before the end of the year and then my breasts and thighs after I get to goal. How is the scarring around your nipples? And what about sensation? Did you lose sensation and if so has it come back? When are you planning to do your thighs? I'm also worried about loss of feeling with the thighs. The incision is so close to the genital area, I'm afraid it could affect sensation there, too. Any thoughts about that? What does your dad say about it?

By the way, you have given me the courage to have my breasts done. I was so worried about the scars, but your photos inspired me. The scars are so much thinner than I was expecting. Thanks for being brave enough to show us.

How is the scarring around your nipples? And what about sensation? Did you lose sensation and if so has it come back? When are you planning to do your thighs? I'm also worried about loss of feeling with the thighs. The incision is so close to the genital area, I'm afraid it could affect sensation there, too. Any thoughts about that? What does your dad say about it?

There is no visible scarring around the nipples. Since the skin changes color there anyway (from breast to areola), you would really never know there'd been an incision there. Now, they don't look exactly like they did before, but it's just different in appearance -- not really a scar.

I lost about 15% sensation and I was GLAD about it. My nipples were too sensitive for my tastes. Now they're perfect. Responsive but not painfully so. Dad says most people (like 70% I think was his number) don't lose any sensation at all. Only about 10% have a major loss (if I recall correctly).

I'm doing my outer thighs and butt on November 8th, along with arms. I'm doing my inner thighs, mons lift, very minor lower TT revision and port replacement on December 20th. Dad's still thinking it all through, but that's the tentative plan.

I'm not worried about loss of sensation from the thighs, in terms of affecting sexual sensation. I've never heard of that happening. But I'll let you know how the recovery is, as I go through it.

Thanks for your kind words, Enterprise. Posting nearly naked pics on the internet is not an easy thing to do, but I do believe it's important to this community to see as close to the truth as possible, even at the end stage like PS. In that regard, I'm looking forward to sharing my lower body journey as well. 26 days!! Woohoo!!!

Julie,

you do look simply amazing!

i cant believe i'm starting to really think about PS. my arms are just horrible (well, everything is horrible, but my arms are more toned but the skin hanging is just dreadful!!)

question about the mons lift - is that normally part of a LBL?

thanks!

question about the mons lift - is that normally part of a LBL?

I think it's about 50/50. I feel like I really need and want it, but from what I've ready, it's not a given that everyone needs it.

Hi Julie I just finished reading the entire thread and you are an inspiration! I love reading the ps threads because it shows the kind of success you can get with the band (and some hard work!) I hope to be there by next year- I finally got everything together and my Doctor will submit to insurance this week!!! Just wanted to give an opinion on the boobs. You mentioned that you might get implants but I think your boobs are beautiful! A lot of people on the site say they want big boobies but I think natural looking breasts that are in proportion are so much more attractive than the look some get of two bowling balls glued to your chest!! You are going to be so tiny after your thigh surgery that your boobs will look huge anyway. Thank you so much for your inspiring journey!

Thanks for the kind words gilrygilz. I definitely want "natural" boobs, in terms of size, but I haven't posted pics in the last 15 lbs or so. My breasts have really deflated. If they'd stayed where they were in the last pic, I'd have been thrilled. Anyway, implants aren't a certainty. There's a good chance I'll gain some in the right areas when my marathon is over. We'll see. Dad said we can't really consider it until Spring anyway, to give my body a chance to rebound from the thigh surgeries. That's fine with me. I hope I decide NOT to get them, actually. But if I need them, I'll get them.

Julie, you look absolutely beautiful!! Keep up the good work -- you are such a great role-model for all of us pre-bandsters (myself) and newly banded folks.

I really like seeing what the hard work and dedication to our "tool" can bring. Thanks for sharing your journey! :)

Julie,

It's been too long since I popped over here. I look forward to reading all about your thigh lift.

Thanks for being honest and sharing your experiences with us. It's very profound.

Juli

The countdown is ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thighs be gone! :)

I only have to live with them for SIXTEEN more days. WOOOOOHOOOO! Tracy, you made my day.

My BF broke up with me on Friday and now all I care about is obessing about getting this damned surgery behind me. Gives me something to obsess about other than him, which is helpful.

Gotta tell you all though, this stage is not a bed of roses. I'm having pretty radical emotional swings with food. On the one hand, I've been told to not lose more weight prior to the surgery and I want to be a compliant patient. On the other hand, I still feel fat and it feels good (emotionally) to eat very little. I'm hoping the surgery will let me see the thin person that I am. If not, I'm going to work very hard to not trade one eating disorder (compulsive overeating) for another (struggling to force myself to eat enough to maintain).

Julie!!!!!!

No pity party for you, but I want to say Bastard Ass!

There are certainly better things to invest your energy into, like you said, obsessing about surgery is one.

Don't you wish there was an auto-pilot button we could go on when thinking about food (too much or too little) becomes overwhelming? I worry about trading out behaviors too, but having a handle on the concept should be a way to buffer it, right

I only have to live with them for SIXTEEN more days. WOOOOOHOOOO! Tracy, you made my day.

My BF broke up with me on Friday and now all I care about is obessing about getting this damned surgery behind me. Gives me something to obsess about other than him, which is helpful.

Gotta tell you all though, this stage is not a bed of roses. I'm having pretty radical emotional swings with food. On the one hand, I've been told to not lose more weight prior to the surgery and I want to be a compliant patient. On the other hand, I still feel fat and it feels good (emotionally) to eat very little. I'm hoping the surgery will let me see the thin person that I am. If not, I'm going to work very hard to not trade one eating disorder (compulsive overeating) for another (struggling to force myself to eat enough to maintain).

Julie - sorry to hear about your ex's loss ...

i cant believe its just over 2 weeks!! you are going to look even hotter than ever!

C

Julie-His loss, TOTALLY!

Woohoo, your date with another procedure is coming, and you'll be more than half-way through your procedure list! You are one HOT woman now, you are going to be even skinnier and more beautiful than you already are in a matter of weeks.