Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First consultation tomorrow

Hi there - I'm Rose. I have my first consultation tomorrow with True Results here in San Antonio, TX.

I've been contemplating the Lap Band for about a year now, after serious consideration I'm taking my first step.

I've heard a lot of different things about the Lap Band vs. the Sleeve - I just found this site and thought I'd see what kind of feedback I'd get.

1. What is the time frame from being seen to the actual surgery?

2. On average what is the amount of weight that could be lost?

(I'm 70-80 pounds over weight)

3. What are some complications that could occur?

I know I'm going to ask these questions tomorrow just want to get a some other options.

Thank you,

Rose

Congratulations on your new journey. I don't think you will regret it. I didn't. People lose all different amounts of weight. Some people on this site have lost over 200 pounds. I am down around 80 since my pre-op. I had the band July, 2012. My doctor is thrilled with what I weigh now but I would like to lose more.

Also not just pounds but inches make a huge difference. I wore a size 18-20 w and now wear a size 14 jean. That doesn't suck!

Thank you dylanmiles23! I think my main concern is I don't want to lose the weight rapidly and look unhealthy.

I'd like to lose 70-80 pounds overall. What happens once the goal weight is reached?

You best bet is to ask your doctor and or dietitian. Everyone of them is different with their advice. I am losing slowly and knew I would. I guess some people who have to lose 150 or more lose real fast at the beginning. I planned on 2 years to get to a goal. Since I think, February or March I am down only around 5 pounds. But I am doing great. I have had 3-4 fills for a grand total of 2.2 or 2.4cc. See every doctor is different. Mine goes slow and others do 4 cc at one shot.

Oh okay now that helps! Once I decide to move forward after the consultation I will get to come up with the weight loss plan in which I determine how long I want to take to lose the weight? Is that somewhat correct?

And I guess I posted my topic in the wrong forum LOL I'm not good at this stuff at all! But thank you very much for the info! It's really good. I'm writing down my questions :-D

Hello Rose

I just got mine done thru them on Oct 16th so wed will be one week. I go back to class tomorrow and besides me just still being a bit sore im good:) Since my first day I decided to make the call to today I lost 20 lbs I totally know it a huge dedication but I wish I did it in 2008 when I first planned to do it. But I believe my time just wasnt right at the time, I found a new friend and she got banded the Fri before myself so we are our support group:) at work. Good Luck:)

[ATTACH]28084[/ATTACH]

post-356358-13838373781494_thumb.png

Hi Rose!

Im also going to True Results in SA. Staff is great! Due to my insurance, I have had to wait for six months. Next month will be my six month. Im excited yet nervous, but looking forward to a new life. If you have any questions, please feel free to text me. 210-392-6725

Best of luck!!

Anyssa

Thank you for sharing melorta and good luck with the journey! I've been looking into this since 2008! I lost 40 pounds on my own in about 8 months but gained half back in less than a month! I'm ready for the change. My husband is being supportive but it's nice to chat with people that are actually going through it! Keep in touch!

Hi Anyssa! I'm soooooooooooo glad you responded! I was hoping to come across someone in the area that I could chat with! Thanks for passing your # mine is 210-410-7752 feel free to text me as well! If you don't mind me asking what insurance do you have? I have Humana and I believe it's a 6 month waiting period also.

How is your advocate? I'll be meeting with Edward tomorrow I believe.

Oh np..my husband is my back bone but ugh.... I can't even suck on a candy, because hes like "Its not on your list":( but at the end I know hes right. He keeps me on track and I think thats what helps me the most. So if ur hubby is helping you now, by all means embrace it and utilize it, because not alot of people have that support system. I do have to say two weeks before my surgery my oldest daughter and sister in law did a intervention with me. It hurt so bad because I had no idea they were that against it. I waited for them to leave to call my husband at work and cried. He told me not to take it wrong they just loved me and they were just worried. Well my goal is to prove to them I made the right decision and im using this as a tool to help me get healthy. :)

I tried to talk to my sister about it ... my sister is 4'10 about 105 pounds never been heavy her entire life ... she just said "No sister you can lose weight you just have to try harder and watch what you eat." It's hard to talk to her about stuff like this cause she will never understand what it feels like to be over weight. I tried to talking to some co-workers one had the sleeve and she scoffed at the notion of me getting the band because there is nothing "medically" wrong with me - I was a little taken aback by her response, "Rose you can lose weight you've done it before you're just being lazy." I get more of "you don't need it' "you look fine" you know people just don't know how it feels. My husband and I were talking this morning and he made me feel better about things - I'm not doing it to be skinny I'm doing it to be healthy for my boys (10 & 14). If you don't mind me asking what is your overall weight loss goal?

I know the feeling, in 2004 and 05 I was losing weight went from 187 to 141. Did it thru WW and lots of hard work. I even wrote an article for our town newspaper. No one knew about the person until I hit my goal the paper wanted me to reveal myself. That was so hard because I knew I had keep this up. Needless to say I had 4 surgeries thru out 2005 to 2011. Gained it all back plus some. I had no motivation no in tend to do anything. Became a diabetic and blood pressure was so bad was hospitalized twice kept over 5 days each time. I was depressed and the months going by made me worse. Went up to a size 18 maybe even a 20. Never in my life even pregnant was I over 200 lbs. I saw a different person, this person had no life, she didnt care on looks or even what people said about the weight.

It was one day I decided to go back to school and finish up a degree to get my life back I meet a person who was alot like me except a foot taller..lol..and when she told about what she was gonna do I was like in shocked. I talked to my husband and said enough is enough. I want the old me back!!! I want to be the person who people saw when I walked thru the door and my self confidence was well known. So thats when I decided I had to do whats best for me.

My goal is to hit the 140 again but I know I wont be with a flat tummy but at least I know this time im in control.

Heres my email melindajorta1969@gmail.com. if u need any info please feel free to contact me:)

Hi Rose just wondering how it went on your consultation. Im actually here, in the office now for my surgery follow up and I was 1.6 lbs away from losing 20 lbs from the starting weight of my new journey. Anyway keep in touch if you need info or have any questions :)

Mel

Hi there - I'm Rose. I have my first consultation tomorrow with True Results here in San Antonio' date=' TX.

I've been contemplating the Lap Band for about a year now, after serious consideration I'm taking my first step.

I've heard a lot of different things about the Lap Band vs. the Sleeve - I just found this site and thought I'd see what kind of feedback I'd get.

1. What is the time frame from being seen to the actual surgery?

2. On average what is the amount of weight that could be lost?

(I'm 70-80 pounds over weight)

3. What are some complications that could occur?

I know I'm going to ask these questions tomorrow just want to get a some other options.

Thank you,

Rose[/quote']

I hope things go well.

Hi there. Things went well. I go back next Thursday to start the paperwork process and blood work stuff. I'm getting nervous already! How was your visit? When did you get your band?