Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still Lost.. But Hopefulllll...

Hello GSPTians

I am Pranjala from India. I am 27 years old married and am a mother of a 3 year old. I have been fat for as long as I can remember. Obesity runs in my family an so does diabetes. I stand 165 cm tall, weigh 100 kg and suffer from NO co-morbidities so far. I have done several successful weight loss attempts in the past, but few slacks here and there and my weight would always come back crossing the last highest point. I have always loved to exercise but now that I have grown so fat my body doesn't seem to cooperate. The only place I lack is that I am a big foodie with a huge appetite, if I control it I can conquer my battle with the flab. Before comming to this forum I've already had appointments with a couple of surgeons, what left me insecure was the fact that even before evaluating me physically or mentally properly they put me under the category of "suitable for sleeve". But as a matter of fact, I am dead scared of the fact that a part of my stomach will be taken away which has always been a part of me( I am actually sentimental about it); and that staples can (and will) cause scarring over time which may arise a condition for a revision. Anyways, I then came across GSP. And this forum is loaded with so many encouraging stories. Not many surgeons in India do this procedure, and so they tell me its a potential failure (even before it has hit the markets properly). I don't want to believe them blindly, as some doctors have a money mincing attitude(plication is definately cheaper). I just want to know how long can the sutures stay in our system ie. the sutures might give in after a certain period of time(would that require a revision too?). Staples vs sutures what is more acceptable to the body? Can there arise a condition like suture replacement in the future? Will I face any nutritional deficiencies or any food intolerance or dumping syndrome or massive hair loss or wrinkled skin(as I have seen in a lot of female sleeve cases)? Can I do stomach exercises like crunches or breathing exercises after plication? Will there be sever pain after surgery due to the peristalsis of gastric muscle, if yes then for how long? My quarries might sound funny but if you do the needful by throwing some light on them, I will be more confidant with my decision.

I had sleeve plication last September, down about 60 lbs. now ......and other than feeling nauseated for a couple months, now I can eat whatever I want albeit far less of it.. You can't worry about stitchs coming undone. i personally have never heard of this happening and it makes little sense to worry anyway as worry is non productive and can not affect any result ....just cause you stress.

No dumping syndrome associated with the sleeve plication surgery... and yes, I did experience some Hair loss due to, I believe the anesthetic :wacko: ...started at about 2-3 months and ended at about 5-ish months and it's all growing back in, Not that I was bald or anything close, just a thinning on one side of my crown...but that's passed now. now I can eat anything .. :P ..unlike with other types of surgeries that are restrictive as to certain foods. PS with the lap-band surgery, probably yummy Naan bread will be a forever no-no...pity. :(

Hope my experience will serve to put your mind at rest at least a little... Take care other-side-of-the-world nice person.

I'm still on the research end of it. I've contacted Dr. Ortiz and asked a bizzilion questions. They have been able to answer everything. I hav also connected directly with some people of similar start weight and goal weight to connect with their progress. So far, with a few exceptions, I've only heard good stories. Placation will only be a tool to support you. You have to be willing to maximize the tool. Your dr. matters. Find one who has been doing it for a long time and has tons of experience. Most negative stories I've heard are from people who have doctors young in the procedure.

Good luck and keep us updated!

I m pretty much confidant with the results this procedure will yield. As far as I could understand about this surgery, there will be two diff types of sutures used: one absbl and other non-absbl. What is the longetyvity of the non absorbable? No one has been able to convince me about this particular quary.. As a layman I know in cases of injury if non- absorbable sutures are used they are taken off after there is enough tissue to gauze the wound intact. What of these sutures?