Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 months post Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery

I started doing WW when I was 4 weeks out from my surgery and to be honest I found it NO easier sticking to WW post op than pre-op. It was back to good old will power and as far as I was concerned if I had that then I wouldn't have got this op.

I started doing WW when I was 4 weeks out from my surgery and to be honest I found it NO easier sticking to WW post op than pre-op. It was back to good old will power and as far as I was concerned if I had that then I wouldn't have needed WLS.

If possible you should look into have the sleeve with plication from the start. Although plication alone has been shown to work on it's one, initial studies have shown that combining it with the band improves your potential for weight loss. I understand that you are concerned about fill, but the advantage of having the band from the start is that if you stop losing you will be able to get a fill to get additional restriction and you may also be able to go without ever getting a fill if you lose at a satisfactory rate. Also plication has been show to help lessen the some of the complications of the band, such as slippage and erosion.

If possible you should look into have the sleeve with plication from the start. Although plication alone has been shown to work on it's one, initial studies have shown that combining it with the band improves your potential for weight loss. I understand that you are concerned about fill, but the advantage of having the band from the start is that if you stop losing you will be able to get a fill to get additional restriction and you may also be able to go without ever getting a fill if you lose at a satisfactory rate. Also plication has been show to help lessen the some of the complications of the band, such as slippage and erosion.

I don't know about the future but right now my surgeon only does either or.

Wow, reading these kind of put a damper on my excitement! I am not even 2 weeks out yet. Do you think the results would be different if you had had the Sleeve? It just seemed like the overall results with the plication were really good! Granted nobody had results beyond 8 years, but the first people to get the Plication are doing very well and have not gained the weight back! I also worry about the cravings! I already have a list of my fav foods to eat when I can eat regular food again. Do you think people with the sleeve don't have the cravings? I think a lot of it for me is mental. I am used to eating certain things and I sometimes feel sad that I won't be able to eat like that. I know, that part of it for me is mental!

From what I can tell, it seems like the people that had the sleeve do seem to do better with that than the plication, but I'm finding it is really what you put into it that counts. I think people have cravings no matter what surgery they have, but I think the motivation of losing weight and not being able to eat as much has kind of helped me not to crave as much as I used to. How are you doing so far?

Hi I was scheduled to be banded on 12/14/11 but I switched to plication which will take place some time in mid January. My patient advocate has told me that the plication patients in the local support group have all had wonderful success and many of the lap band patients wish they had the plication. All my research has led me to conclude that without healthy food choices and exercise, WLS won't be successful. I've seen some posts where people mention they need to work on eating better. I'd like to know for those who are not so pleased with the results, is that after changing your diet to a healthy one and getting in regular exercise? If so it will give me something to think about. If the limited weight loss is being impacted by poor eating and inconsistent excercise I know that something that I have to work to control. I really like the plication option because I wouldn't have to deal with fills and unfills.

So I guess what I'd like to know is how many have done everything they're supposed to but the plication is not living up to expectation?

I have definitely NOT done everything I'm supposed to which is why I'm sure I haven't lost as well as I could.

Hello to all~

I am a bit over 4 months out from my plication done by Dr. Ortiz...I do agree with almost all of everyone's past posts.....but just speaking for myslef..I am down 40 lbs...and yes..in the beginning I thought it would just 'fly' off. We are all looking for a jump start...I DO feel restriction..not as much as the first 2 months and I am now stuggling with taking control of my food decisions. We have to all be brutially honest here...we can fill our smaller stomachs with healthy food or we can fill our small stomachs with high calorie foods just not as much but not lose weight. That's where I have fit in. I have thought 'great, I can eat what I want because I wont be physically allowed to overeat.'...while that may be something nice we tell ourselves we will NOT see any weight loss results. I also have not gotten into any support system nor have I been faithfully excercising...For me this journey is a three fold system...first is the surgery...which was a success but just a TOOL...second is excersise and heathy food choices..third and maybe most important is the suppport and mental aspect of WHY we are all overweight and needing this surgery in the first place.....I need support as to why I feel the NEED to go get chips instead of veggie sticks....and no surgery is going to cure that for me! Thanks to all and I welcome any suggestions or comments....we all need to be in this together! Good luck my friends!

TX40

I can't speak from experience but rather some serious thought and self analysis as to this growing concern that eventually this restriction will be less than it currently is and the root of what the real problem is. First my thoughts are that we did this for the basic tenet to feel better...we did a physical act to feel better eventually look better too. With that said it's just like a new car, new blouse the newness wears off and the norm becomes the realization that we needed to work on our emotional journey as well. It's very easy to have done the emotional change at first bc we had the physical manifestation occur...we just did not address or work on the emotional which trust me if it could be fixed with a few sutures and a trip to Mexico we would all be living there perminantly. We certainly did not get to where we are because there is not an underlying problem....that problem is emotions. We have an emotional problem with food and once that is addressed and sutured in our own way then we can succeed long term. To have done this extreme and eat chips, bread, heavy carbs is not acceptable. My plan of attack for now is simple....I want the body of an athlete therefore I need the mentality ofmone too I will fill up fast with heavy Proteins no carbs so that temptation doesn't have time to catch up because I'll be too full. Secondly I'm excited to be exercising this coming week...and I don't mean elliptical I mean climbing flights of stairs and eventually kicking ass in cross fit. Treating my body as if it's still obese...mediocrity is not an option. I also dream a lot which helps my emotional state...I day dream every moment I see a cupcake...long detailed daydreams and then end it with "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".... sorry for my rant but I just want everyone to be happy with this plication I worry about the lack of restriction too.I can't believe I did this and think there is an opportunity to fail....but that failure is up to me and I've never failed at anything I've passionately wanted....and anytime I've fallen off the wagon i pick myself up dust myself off and get back on the saddle...it's a forever journey and I'm going to make sure this horse I'm riding is mentally prepared for the long haul.... Good luck everyone....also I had read this on dr. Talebpours site before selecting plication google his site it's really interesting as the pioneer of this surgery.

CONTRAINDICATION OF TVGP

Morbid obese cases without any cooperation or any acceptance of limitation of intake are bad candidates for restrictive operations like plication.

If I use plication in these cases a moderate rate of weight loss may occurs at first, but due to high intake of foods after that time, regain appears again.

The selected technique for moderate cooperating patients is gastric bypass (cut of stomach, making malabsorption by using long limb gastrojejunostomy anasthomosis) with higher risk of complication. Aggressive technique advise for low cooperating patient.

In patients without any cooperating, any acceptance of food restriction (enjoy of eating), if would like to have normal weight, just malabsorptive methods like duodenal switching or modified ileojejunal bypass is advised.

I had some questions too. I had plication surgery on May 21 and so far, I have lost weight. It seems to be very slow and I get very down from that. They have me on less then 60 carbs, over 60 Protein and about 25-30 fat every day. Are there others on the same diet? It gets so hard at times!! I hate sugar free so basically I just stay away from sweets, which are far my favorite. I really want an iced chai from Starbucks but I can't see wasting my carbs on it. I keep everything entered on myfitnesspal.com and follow it faithfully. I was told I had to wait 6 months before I had any type of soda or alcohol which I have not missed. I stick to the diet and have only gone above my carbs once or twice by one or two. I find it difficult not wanting to eat, I do get full but not as much as before and I run out of things to eat because I am so picky. I think about food and sometimes I want to just eat a whole wrap instead of 1/2 of one. I still have issues not drinking 30 min after I eat or 15 min before. I do try to stay active but have not started a gym routine yet...small walks etc. I get so confused on what to eat at times, I feel it is taking so long, I have gotten rid of some clothing but not as much as I would expect....I sometimes feel it didn't work and I get mad at myself. Does everyone follow the same rules? Still hungry? Think about food? Losing weight slowly? What do you guys eat? I would love to just hear day to day tips and ideas.

I'm loving my weight loss, granite it has slowed but I've lost 165lbs in just 8 months.I exercise regularly and i do cheat by dining set tea and eating peanut m&ms but I'm doing great.I still get hungry at times to but eating almonds takes care of that for me!

My weight loss since plication had been slow but granted some of it has been my own doing. I had wished I could have gotten the sleeve for two reasons. According to my surgeon who was trained at Harvard 1) the sleeve never stretches. So restriction stays the same.

2) most gastric sleeves no longer experience much hunger because the curvature of the stomach contains the hunger hormone "grelin".

Singe sleeves get theirs cut out they no longer have this issue.

Well and that's why some time in the future I will join them Too. Hope that explains why we are still feeling hungry.

Wow, reading these kind of put a damper on my excitement! I am not even 2 weeks out yet. Do you think the results would be different if you had had the Sleeve? It just seemed like the overall results with the plication were really good! Granted nobody had results beyond 8 years, but the first people to get the Plication are doing very well and have not gained the weight back! I also worry about the cravings! I already have a list of my fav foods to eat when I can eat regular food again. Do you think people with the sleeve don't have the cravings? I think a lot of it for me is mental. I am used to eating certain things and I sometimes feel sad that I won't be able to eat like that. I know, that part of it for me is mental!

FatToPhat, on October 11, 2011 - 4:13 AM, said:

It's tough to say... I think it still depends on the person and third willingness to change their eating habits. My aunt, uncle and cousin all had the bi pass. They all lost the weight. My aunt then had a Ty and boob job. Then she put most her weight back on and looks "different" because of her tt. My uncle has put a good amount of weight on. My mom had the sleeve and seems to be doing well but she's only 8 mos out. Her surgeon told her that anyone will put the weight back on if they don't change their eating. Here goes nothing... I'm having the plication done, lets hope I can overpower my head hunger too!