Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!! Had all my pre-op testing done today & meet with the surgeon in two wks. My Insurance has no requirements so they said I will most like have my surgery in November. I need help to decide which one I want to go with.

HELP!! Had all my pre-op testing done today & meet with the surgeon in two wks. My Insurance has no requirements so they said I will most like have my surgery in November. I need help to decide which one I want to go with.

Your surgeon should recommend which one is right for you when you sit down and consult with him. I was certain that I wanted the sleeve but since I am diabetic my surgeon said gastric bypass is the way to go. He also said that with the sleeve you can realistically expect to lose 40-60% of your excess weight with bypass 60-80%.

I was all set for the sleeve but have changed to the bypass as there's many more years' evidence behind it and is still considered the gold standard of WLS. What really struck me was that there's a group of people here who are revising from sleeve to RNY! I do not want to be going through all this again in x years time.

I was all set for the sleeve until I found out that my insurance will only cover the bypass. I'm not willing to give up, so I'm doing my research and moving forward with the RNY.

I was all set for the sleeve until I found out that my insurance will only cover the bypass. I'm not willing to give up, so I'm doing my research and moving forward with the RNY.

My insurance would pay for the bypass only. I was willing to pay out of pocket for the sleeve. My doctor chose RNY because of reflux and I have had the lap band, it was removed in June. My date is Oct 29! I was scheduled 10/03/13 but my boss could not let me off due to emergencies that came up and left us 3 people short. I just think after weighing my options (no pun intended) RNY is the best for me.

My insurance would pay for the bypass only. I was willing to pay out of pocket for the sleeve. My doctor chose RNY because of reflux and I have had the lap band, it was removed in June. My date is Oct 29! I was scheduled 10/03/13 but my boss could not let me off due to emergencies that came up and left us 3 people short. I just think after weighing my options (no pun intended) RNY is the best for me.

I was all set for the sleeve right up til my consult. My doctor told me pros and cons most of which I knew and said its up to me ...why I changed to RNY ..first after watching sleeved friends on MFP still able to eat sweets and fried fattin foods up to 1200 cal of these made me have a heart to heart with myself...I need full restriction! Other factor I have a friend that has the sleeve and is now going for Rny next month, why go thru this more than once.

Like they say why have hamburger gen you can have prime rib lol good luck on which ever you choose!

I was all set for the sleeve right up til my consult. My doctor told me pros and cons most of which I knew and said its up to me ...why I changed to RNY ..first after watching sleeved friends on MFP still able to eat sweets and fried fattin foods up to 1200 cal of these made me have a heart to heart with myself...I need full restriction! Other factor I have a friend that has the sleeve and is now going for Rny next month, why go thru this more than once.

Like they say why have hamburger gen you can have prime rib lol good luck on which ever you choose!

In sorry. I hate to be harsh but I have a friend who had the sleeve in May. She has only lost 30 pounds. I would be pissed. It's gonna be like the band. I want the procedure that been around for years. Plus it's non reversible. So all the lap bands they are taking out. They sleeves will have to stay in. Yuk

I think both options are great tools! I've seen lots of successful people with sleeves.

I chose the RNY for several reasons.

1. My surgeon recommended it BC I'm a revision from the band.

2. My addiction to sugar. Not all people dump- but I'm praying I do.

3. The 1st 12-18 months of malabsorption reduces caloric intake- causing more weight loss.

4. I already did the fad WLS and look where it got me. A revision.

5. It's been around the longest. Meaning more research has been done on people way further out.

6. I'm a high risk for diabetes. Studies have shown that the RNY is the very best surgery for diabetes cure.

7. Since I am a revision my surgeon can avoid the scar tissue where my band was when he does the RNY. With the sleeve he cannot. So there's a higher chance of leaks with the sleeve and revisions.

In conclusion, if I was not a revision, I would probably have the sleeve. Just because I'm afraid of the rerouting. Who isn't? It's why I got the band instead of the bypass 5 years ago. In hindsight, I should've gotten the bypass. So this time- I am.

Having had VSG - Sleeve surgery last Oct, I can say it has been a great tool to aid in losing weight. I am down 106 lbs to date. I agree with other posters that you will not have the dumping that is with RNY or the mal-absorption. I am scheduled to have a revision next month to RNY due to severe reflux with the Sleeve. The doctor and I are hoping that moving to an RNY will solve the reflux issue. As for a which way to choose, I can say the Sleeve is a very successful surgery for weight loss, but you do have to be diligent on what you eat. I can have days where I eat 500 cal or days if I am not careful that can exceed 2000 cal. As always any WLS you choose is only a tool; you have to change your mindset on how you eat and look at food.< /p>

I was sleeved in March 2013 and am 4 pounds from my goal! I loved my sleeve but it will not stay open! Now it looks like I will have to have a bypass in a couple of weeks. I am very disappointed. I believe that long term, for absorption, no dumping syndrome, etc., the sleeve is the best choice. I just hate it that it seems mine did not work. I have lost nearly 100 pounds, but now I have trouble keeping any food down. My doctor has done lots of sleeves and says that I am his first patient with this stricture problem. I hope that whatever you decide works well for you.