Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OCT. 1, 2013 - The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Awesome to hear!

I have so enjoyed reading about your journey. My surgery is Nov 19, but more Dr appts to go. It is so helpful to see what your experiences are and how you are managing. It is very much appreciated.

Yesterday/this morning was fun. Got to try new stuff. Had mashed potatoes for dinner last night, had a 60 calorie no sugar lemon pudding cup later in the evening (I have been going to bed around 3am lately). This morning (around 1030) I had a yoplait greek peach yogurt. All of these things were delicious, filling, and did not upset my stomach at all.

Had my best night of sleep yet (slept from 3am-10am) including sleeping on my side (the right one of course) all night.

And this was all after I went to work and met with my students yesterday, who I had missed for the past week since surgery.

A good day I would say.

One negative today. I got choked up this morning (on nothing, just took a wrong breath I guess), and the deep, unstoppable coughing was quite painful. I guess my ab muscles are healed pretty well for day to day stuff, but they are still sensitive to hacking.

Pretty good day today. Only slept almost 6 straight hours today. Got in another day of good walking' date=' and it feels (knock on wood) like my soreness is almost completely gone.

The one negative is that I really didn't eat enough today. 2 ice pops, 1 sugar free Jello, and a bunch of crystal light, but no Protein. I just totally spaced and really didn't think about eating all day long (I was catching up on some work from home). I have to be more careful about that.

Wednesday is my first followup with the doc. I will get my staples out (I have 24 total), so that should be an exciting day.[/quote']

liquid is most important the first week or two. Protein is harder to get in and takes time and more effort. Eventually you develop a routine that allows you to get in all your fluids, protein, and Vitamins. It takes time but you'll get there. :-)

I just had a sudden, unexpected, powerful sneeze. I had forgotten about my abdomen (because it doesn't really hurt anymore except when I sleep on that side or move awkwardly), but for that instant I thought my body had exploded open.

I really can't have it, but I am craving some Ramen noodles.

In time you will realize that your cravings are mostly mind games!! Took me a few months but now I don't really crave anything ! Keep up the good work and follow your drs advice on what you should be eating and you will be fine!

I have been so exhausted today. I slept probably 17 hours today. Right now I am awake, but I still feel totally drained.

I also am nauseous today. Not vomiting nauseous, but that low level that is just enough to make you uneasy all day.

For the whole first month I was mildly to moderately nauseous. Foods smelled bad and tasted worse. That lasted about a month. Gradually it goes away. It takes time for your body to heal - it's been through a lot. Even now, four months later, I'll try something I used to like and find I don't like it anymore. It's not entirely a bad thing - I eat for fuel, not for pleasure. It's very liberating. :-)

For the whole first month I was mildly to moderately nauseous. Foods smelled bad and tasted worse. That lasted about a month. Gradually it goes away. It takes time for your body to heal - it's been through a lot. Even now, four months later, I'll try something I used to like and find I don't like it anymore. It's not entirely a bad thing - I eat for fuel, not for pleasure. It's very liberating. :-)

I am eating for fuel, but I don't want to.

Just had tuna salad for the first time since surgery. Tasted great. The stomach disagrees.

So, I was thirsty (really thirsty), and I had a "brain fart" and took a big gulp of my drink (diet cran lemonade). Huge mistake. Didn't yak, but almost. I used to be able to down a 32 oz Gatorade (in retrospect probably not a good thing) all at once.

So, I was thirsty (really thirsty), and I had a "brain fart" and took a big gulp of my drink (diet cran lemonade). Huge mistake. Didn't yak, but almost. I used to be able to down a 32 oz Gatorade (in retrospect probably not a good thing) all at once.

I am curious. I am thirsty all the time now before surgery. Probably because of meds and/or diabetes. After surgery, do you still get as thirsty as before?

I am curious. I am thirsty all the time now before surgery. Probably because of meds and/or diabetes. After surgery, do you still get as thirsty as before?

Not at all. If I don't consciously make myself drink, I probably would hardly drink at all. And before surgery I was just like you are describing.