Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The doctor recommends...

So I met with my surgeon for the first time today. He is totally awesome and I feel that he will be the right fit to help me achieve my weight loss goals. The only problem that I have is that the office recommended that I have the RNY over the lap band (which is what was originally recommended by my endocrinologist). But with my BMI being at 51.48 they said the band would not be ideal for me.

So now I am a little confused on what to do. I know that the office will only do the procedue that I want but I am just a little wary of having it. Anything anyone can do to put my mind at ease would be greatly appreciated.

I am willing to do an RNY I am just a little aprehensive right now I guess...

I had RNY so I do not have any personal experience with the band. However, there are some groups of people on here (you need to check them out) that are having revisions from band to bypass because the band failed them for some reason or another. The band procedure, for some doctors, is not even an option anymore due to some of the issues people are having with it. It is totally up to you and what you are comfortable with doing, it is your body. Your doctors will let you know what they think is best for you. Do some research and make an informed decision that you are okay with. I wish you the best on your journey. You will do great!

Rny was a perfect choice for me because I had a hiatal hernia and they were able to fix that while in there... I was over 130lbs overweight and I lost. 100lbs in 5 months... I wrk for an insurance company and I will tell you that majority of people end up starting with lap band and but then go to rny because they weren't able to get the results with lap band ... My husband had the gastric sleeve and he had over 200 lbs to lose and lost 130 lbs in a year and it was a perfect choice for him...do the research and weigh the pros and cons

So why are you seeing an endocrinologist? If its diabetes do some research on RNY and diabetes...the results are astounding. Otherwise, again do research. Long term loss with RNY is more than with band. I'm biased because I'm a failed band. I had a band for almost 3 years and had nothing but misery. I had to keep my band empty most of the time, if I had a fill and I was stressed out, had PMS, my allergies were flared up, had a cold, whatever, I would go days on end where the only thing I could keep down was warm tea. In the end my band slipped and began to erode, I required emergent removal and had so much damage from my band that the surgeon was unable to perform revision at the time of removal (I got RNY 6 months later and it's been amazing). My band story is not typical and many do well...just know that there are long term consequences, it's not as easy as putting it in then taking it out if there's an issue. To MY patients, I recommend anyone needing >100 lbs weight loss look into RNY or sleeve. Best of luck as you begin your journey!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 202.4

I am having RNY on Thursday. My surgeon does not do the band any longer so it was not an option. He does the sleeve and RNy but recommended RNY for me. I went with his recommendation. Good luck with whatever option you choose that best suites your goals. Take care!

I also started my weight loss journey with wanting the lap band, but my surgeon doesn't recommend it anymore because of all the problems they are seeing. I then wanted the sleeve and he told me that my diabetes might not go away and my acid reflex would get worse. He said that the RNY has a over 85% cure rate for diabetes and acid is usually better, so I'm going with the RNY on 9-3-13. Do your research and talk to your surgeon about your specific health and you both will come to the right decision. I must say though I am happy that I won't have to go through this more then once, but I am a bit upset that I have to go this extreme. I wish the band was more successful.

I got the band first. Bad mistake. It did not work for me at all. I was sliming after each meal and lost no weight. Got band to RNY revision in Feb this year and I'm losing lots. Down 62 pounds (I lose slower than most due to my age (60) and I'm not exercising much lately. Still it's 10 pounds a month. RNY was best thing I ever did for myself!!

Not one of the four doctors in my surgeon's group any longer do lap band. I was never interested in the lapband so I never asked why. But their decision not to do it at all would seem to make a pretty strong statement.

Docs at my center are not doing many bands anymore mostly Rny and Sleeve these days again because thy are seeing more issues with the band and it not being as successful as Rny and the sleeve do homework if u have diabetes I can tell u my surgeon would have highly recommended RNY because of the high success rate

Thank you for all the insight. After looking it over I have decided that the RNY is going to be best for me. I have insulin resistance and that is why I am seeing my endocrinologist (along with a severe Vitamin D deficiency).

I keep thinking to what we were told during the seminar yesterday and that has sealed the deal for me. He said that every band patient will need to have some type of surgery over the next 10 years no matter what the type. When I first came into thinking about surgery I thought band would be it but I have changed my mind and I am beyond ready to do this.

Next step, my psych eval next Wednesday afternoon.

Thank you everyone once again. It helps to be able to turn to others who have been in the same situation

What are your fears?

~Leticia **HW: 259**PreOp: 216**SURG: 3/21/13 **Discharged @: 221** 4.5 mons post op. CW: 160.0 lbs. --- Only 10 lbs to my goal ---

Thank you for all the insight. After looking it over I have decided that the RNY is going to be best for me. I have insulin resistance and that is why I am seeing my endocrinologist (along with a severe Vitamin D deficiency).

I keep thinking to what we were told during the seminar yesterday and that has sealed the deal for me. He said that every band patient will need to have some type of surgery over the next 10 years no matter what the type. When I first came into thinking about surgery I thought band would be it but I have changed my mind and I am beyond ready to do this.

Next step' date=' my psych eval next Wednesday afternoon.

Thank you everyone once again. It helps to be able to turn to others who have been in the same situation[/quote']

Woohoo!!!! So happy for you :). After my crappy banded life I think the entire universe should have RNY :D

Woohoo!!!! So happy for you :). After my crappy banded life I think the entire universe should have RNY :D

I'll second that!

I think all of my fears stem from the old open procedures they used to do. The one nagging feeling I have no matter the procedure is what if I fail. I work with two individuals that have had the RNY and both of them failed miserably. I know that everyone is different and my experience is different than that of someone else.

But other than that, I am alright right now but if I have further questions that I need help with I will send them out and hopefully get good information and insight from people who have been there.

Working with two folks who failed with RNY might be a great opportunity for you to learn from their experience - if you're comfortable asking and if they're comfortable discussing it. Contributing factors could be medical, psychological or lifestyle. Or any combination of the three. I suppose most of us have heard stories of failed surgeries. I've never had an opportunity to discuss it with anyone but would certainly welcome the potential learning experience.