Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Currently I'm waiting on insurance approval for the lap band with Dr. Felix. I'm nervous and excited. Unfortunately, my normal method of dealing with emotion is to overeat...so I've gained about 10 pounds since my first appointment which was in late November.

10 POUNDS!!! AHHHHH!!! :lol:

Did anyone else have this problem during pre-op? I'm not on any sort of diet yet. I feel like I'm in lap band no man's land. I'm pre-pre-op. How weird. I'm angry at myself which then leads to...guess what... more eating! :faint:

I'm really doubting my ability to be able to do this. I know that this is just pre-surgery jitters and I know that this is just a tool. I really do believe that I can be sucessful... but I am really nervous about this most recent weight gain. :cry The only reason I haven't gained more is that I've had the flu twice and keep landing myself in the ER with dehydration from being so sick. Please HELP.

Thanks for reading. You guys are all such an inspiration to me and I feel so grateful to have LBT in my life.

Sheila

300 / 270- Went to a weight loss program over the summer and slowly gaining it all back =(

P.S. While I was writing this post, my insurance company called me and I was denied. Sometimes, life stinks.

I stopped running and dieting when I hurt my knee for about the 99th time. That's when I started researching the lap-band. I was just FINISHED with failing and decided it was time to get this problem solved.

So yeah, I've gained probably 10 pounds in the last few months eating whatever I please and lying around like a lump. I'll get back on the bandwagon as surgery nears...

I gained like 10 pounds from the time I got my date until the REAL pre op diet. I ate all the things I knew I would never eat again like they were going out of style! :) It's ok, we all do it!

My appts were around the holidays so needless to say - when i went back for my appt they were not happy that i had gained like 7lbs. But they told me to please try to lose some of that or they won't schedule a date for me on my next appt. I knew i had to cause it was my last and final appt, when i came back and had lost 8lbs - they were thrilled and set my date.

I was nervous but i cut out the soda and only had like one sweet a night lol. My problem is sweets!

Ahh, why did they deny you?

Thanks guys! Everyone made me feel so much better. It's like I'm worried that chocolate and ice cream are going out of style or something! It's nutty.... mmm rocky road...

Okay so I was denied because I can't count the summer program that I did as my 3 month diet... I have to work with a nutritionist and document it with my PCP. Another three months of dieting... yippee. And then MAYBE get the approval. Or cough up the money and get the surgery.

Here's the thing...I go back to school in August.

(I took a year off from NYU and went home to CA to spend time with my grandfather and to, ha ha, lose weight.)

If I spend March, April and May dieting and then in June I get the surgery, I only have 2.5 months before going back to school and stress. I know this is a life long commitment but I would like a couple more months to solidify my new habits without being crazy in NYC. So do I take out a loan (really what's more debt at this point?!) and get the surgery in March or do I gamble the insurance route and maybe get it paid for in June with only a few months of free fills and stress-free living?

Sorry for asking for so much advice. I'm not going to tell my friends (too skinny to get it) and my mom (nutritionist/dietician.) Thanks for your help.

With love, Sheila

Well, I thought I was eating alot because I knew I wouldn't be able to have some of the stuff after surgery, but when I had my other visit about 2 1/2 months later I had lost six pounds, I think it was because I picked up a second job so I was much busier with two jobs and school. Good luck on your banding adventure and maybe you could appeal your denial on the band some people have been approved when they appeal. Good Luck!

I gained almost 20 pounds between my first consultation in October and my surgery the following May. I was feeling very discouraged, because until about February I was sure I wasn't going to be able to have the surgery. Depression + more depression + the holidays = Hello pizza Hut? Do you Deliver?

I'm not proud of it and wish I hadn't done it, but thankfully, it came off in the first month after I was banded. Seems like the most recent weight comes off the fastest. Or maybe I just made that up. ;-)

Why put yourself in more debt in you don't need to. I'm in college now and i got banded over winter break. It's not that big of a deal. I also think it would be easier to get banded and go back to school because then you will be occupied with school and hopefully not think about food so much. You might want to do some research about fill doctors in NY since you live in CA. If your insurance denies then you can always self pay but personally i would wait. Don't put yourself into needless debt just for a few extra months with the band.

My doctor said that the first six months of band are the most important and finding your sweet spot is really important for success. However, I know patience isn't really my strong suit....

Thanks so much for all of your support and encouragement. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your wisdom and comments. Thanks team!!