Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surviving the liquid stage

Hi all, I am due to be banded 3/14/07 and have to follow a clear liquid diet for sixteen days post op.:mad: I'm very apprehensive that I will be able to go that long on Clear Liquids. Any advise from someone who has been through it? Can I use Protein powder(clear) during this time? I'm worried that I will be weak and sick.

It is the VERY HARDEST part of banding. It drove me crazy. I wanted to chew something so bad. I ate a lot of sf popsicles. I had never been on a "liquid" diet before. Just brace yourself.

I consider it now the last "diet" I will ever be on.

I guess about 4 to 5 months I was able and brave enough to leave the comfort of my safe foods.

Tonight my hubby and I ate out at his fav restaurant. I cut the tops off of two yeast rolls (crusty part) generous with cinnomon butter , ate them, had 1 large meaty rib smoked with BBQ Sauce and ate most of half of baked potatoe with sour cream.

I not missing out on anything am I?

So was the liquid diet worth it? Yes.

Your band sister,

edie

I was on it for a week. It was the worst. I went to a local chinese take out place and got LOTS of wonton Soup, and took out the wontons..my dogs apparently love them.. that helped spice up my life. I also bought like those packets of ranch to put in my chicken broth which helped..LOTS of crystal lite. I bought like 6 boxes of sugar free popsciles, and didnt feel guilty about not eating the orange ones. I ended up duc tapeing my fridge door closed. That way, if I was tempted to eat something not liquid it would take me longer to get to it, and Id have time to snap out of my Food-Craze-To-Chew Maddness!!

Good luck!!!

By the time you get to this point...you will have already had to go on the liquid diet for at least a week before the surgery. That was hell. I realized just how out of control my eating habits were and it did mature me to realize, hey, i don't need to be stuffing my face with junk all the time. I got depressed, I got upset, I took it out on everyone. I drank CONSTANTLY during my pre op diet so I was never hungry, and it worked, so keep something with you all the time.

I'm post op day5 and struggling some. My docotor's instructions allow me to have foods with a little more substance like milkshakes, smoothies, cream Soups for the next 10 days. Unfourtunatley all I really WANT is pizza so nothing really appeals to me, but that's why I"m here in the first place. It will be hard not to move on to mushy foods just yet but you can DO it. You can do the liquid diet at first because you see a light at the end of the tunnell. You can do it post op because you don't want to mess up your band. Just keep in touch with your doctor. My biggest problem was feeling hungry but I've figured out what works for me and it's fine.

Hey x-ray chic, Ultrasound chic here to tell you for the first 4-5 days on the liquid wasn't so bad because you have just had surgery but after that it got kinda rough i was pretty hungry on that liquid diet. I had to do it post-op for 10 days. But I made it throught it and it was all worth it.

Actually with Dr. Singh who will be doing X-Ray chic's surgery he doesn't require a liquid phase before surgery. So she won't be doing it for a week before surgery

The liquid stage SUCKS. However, you need to keep in mind WHY you have to do it. Everytime I was tempted to cheat, I remember a lady who ate a piece of steak on her liquid stage, which caused major problems with her band, she had to have it removed and the doc refused to put it back in. That seemed to keep me on track. The mushies I did find on. The first week on liquids is not that bad, you really don't feel like eating anyhow.

The key is to sip on your Protein shakes, and I drank better than bullion. You have to keep in mind, the liquid stage is for the bands on good, you don't want to risk hurting the band.

Hi all, I am due to be banded 3/14/07 and have to follow a clear liquid diet for sixteen days post op.:) I'm very apprehensive that I will be able to go that long on clear liquids. Any advise from someone who has been through it? Can I use Protein powder(clear) during this time? I'm worried that I will be weak and sick.

I couldn't do the straight liquids for 2 weeks. I had slim fast for Breakfast, Soup for lunch, any kind of soup, and for dinner I had a chicken breast or roasted chicken, steamed veggies with no sauce or butter and salad with veggies and fat free dressing, ie, no croutons or cheese. I lost 11 pounds, felt good, and didn't lose my mind. My surgery went beautifully per my doc and he had no problems at all.