Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you decide on surgery?

For me...a bunch of things....

I stopped allowing myself to be photographed, didn't want to see.

Couldn't fit on a harness/strap in ride at Great Adventure,was humiliating.

Able to eat a medium extra cheese pepperoni pizza all by myself.

A snack, became a whole bag or box of chips or Cookies + 2 liter soda.

I lost interest in sex and felt embarassed for my hubby to be seen w/me.

I started buying a size 30/32.....my biggest ever.

I was getting close to 300 on the scale....289 my biggest ever.

Sciattica had gotten worse coming on more often.

I stopped taking diet pills.< /p>

I stopped going out with my girl friends.

I started anti-depressants.

etc etc etc...and this is why I look forward to my new bander life!

Funny you noted all the reasons for your surgery choice. I did the same thing and my list is endless. As I would think of something that has changed in my life due to weight gain, I would write it down. The list got longer and longer. Someday I'll pull it out and see how many things are now back on the "ok to do" list and be very happy with my decision. As it is, I'm only 5 days post op, so gotta wait it out. 9 lbs. down already though, so that made me feel much better! Are you banded yet?

lessofme

Yes, banded on Feb 13, 2007.

You're right....my list could have went on and on...but something about a few that I noted made me feel like I needed to make a drastic change now.

i hope you dont mind if im candid...

1) my father died from obesity related factors in july 2005. His estimate weight was 475-500lbs. Nine days later his identical twin brother, also the same size, died from same factors. They suffered horribly the last month of their life.

2) Ive always struggled with obesity. Ive lost around 300 lbs in my life at 50-70 lbs at a time, and gained it right back.

3) i rolled over one morning and my head went one way, and my big body didnt follow. I ruptured an already herniated disc, blocking the nerve to my left arm. My pcp at the time, told me to get over it. eventually i got ahold of my current doctor and got to a nuerosurgeon who got me in for a laminectomy and discectomy to fix the problem. it did, and left a long horrible scar.

4) i havent had sexual relations in two years. Not my choice, But i understand.

5) My job has alot to do with image. my sales have plummeted since this last round of extreme weight gain.

6) i started to question every chair i could fit into as to weather id wind up on the floor again.

7) i wanted the least invasive option that would fix these issues on a permenant as possible basis

7) i researched and found a surgeon with an excellent record and personal approach, then really be pursuant about insurance and working with this surgeon.

those are the real reasons i did this.

I had been thinking and reading about it for ages but the final decision was easy. I needed my gallbladder out and my doc said he would do both at the same time and so then seemed to just be the right moment!

:) For me I had bee ignoring so many things for so long...

I also would NOT let myself be photographed (now too.)

I had begun to have severe pain in legs, back ect.

I couldn't ride with my kids at Cedar Point.

My kids were making excuses FOR ME, why we couldn't do things.

BUT the one that put me over the top to do it.....

I couldn't watch a movie at the theatre with my kids anymore.....I didn't fit in the seat!

I was gaining weight and this was an upward trend which I couldn't control. I was in a state where I loathed and feared my body and when I heard about the lapband I decided to go for it. I paid for it myself and I have been very, very happy that I have had the surgery.

The reasons for having surgery.....I've been giving a lot of thought to this over the past few days. There are a lot of little reasons for wanting to lose weight. I have been 100 # overweight for 18 years now, about 75 # overweight for 25. Being able to hike, bike, run, ski, skate, snowboard have been distant dreams for as long as I can remember. I never wear dresses anymore, much less heels. When I went on a cruise 6 years ago, I skipped the formal nights, and dressed in slinky pants and big tops the rest of the time. I don't participate in school projects and activities. I feel self-conscious everywhere I go, with my kid's friends, etc. I stopped going to church 1 1/2 years ago.

But more recently, I have developed several health "risks" or problems associated with my weight:

1. Diabetes

2. Arthritis

3. Heel spurs/foot problems

4. Hypertension

5. Depression

6. GERD

7. sleep problems

8. Inactivity

But the biggest motivating factor for me is more personal, but I will share here. I lost my mother in November. She was the same size as me, was becoming very sedentary after retirement. She had a hysterectomy and laid on the couch for 4 weeks afterwards, developed a clot and died suddenly and unexpectedly. I think it had a lot to do with her lack of activity, depression and refusal to take care of herself (she had blood sugars over 300 in the hospital and denied having diabetes and refused to treat). She was in denial about a lot of things.

So, I'm jumping into this with both feet. I'm scared s**tless right now, but I know that's normal. I think if my mom was here, she'd be doing this with me.

- I have done soooo many diets with little to no weight loss, usually a gain

- In school I had a hard time fitting into the chairs, i had to drop one class because i could not sit in the chair. ( it was in a lecture hall)

-I no longer swim and i love love love to swim

- I was closer to 300 than 200 and that scared me to no end

- I can only shop at very limited stores. lane bryant has too much of my money!!

- My personality has changed, i used to be out going.

Those are just a few reasons.

I was the fattest person in my department and didn't like to have pictures taken of me. I was sick of trying to find clothes large enough that looke decent. I didn't fit into the desks in class which made it difficult to talk to the kids. I'd just had it with being fat. I have only lost 37 pounds so far, but I have hope that I'll lose some more. I weight 183, down from 220, and I can fit into smaller clothes. That makes me happy. I weighed 185 when I had heart surgery in 1993 and lost 20 pounds then, I hope to get back down to about 165, but if I don't I'm still glad I got the lapband.

- I have done soooo many diets with little to no weight loss, usually a gain

- In school I had a hard time fitting into the chairs, i had to drop one class because i could not sit in the chair. ( it was in a lecture hall)

-I no longer swim and i love love love to swim

- I was closer to 300 than 200 and that scared me to no end

- I can only shop at very limited stores. lane bryant has too much of my money!!

- My personality has changed, i used to be out going.

Those are just a few reasons.

Ariel

I agree about those freaking lecture hall classes. I dropped one the semester before I got the band. It was just too humiliating trying to squeeze my a$$ in, and then god forbid if someone needed to get in or out....ugh...

God I hate those chairs. I found myself haveing to work up the nerve to go sit down and squeeze it...

other reasons

1. So many of my happy memories are associated with food. I had fun at this restarante, and this movie theatre had good popcorn and this was the drive thru etc..

2. Look back to your fat pictures..not many huh? My little brother had to for a school project find pics of all his family members...took me forever to find him one of me

3. I got tired of having to prove to people that I was more than the fat girl..almost like I had to make it up to them

4. For the last 2 years, I havent worn anything but jeans and a t shirt

5. I decided to live my life instead of just saying "Yeah Id do that if I was thin..."

6. Ill be graduating soon, and I hate going in for the interveiw, b/c I have to be way better than the skinny people, just to be considered!

I could go on, but its so depressing

Basically. I got tired of feeling trapped in my own body...

Last year I got a new job in law enforcement and had to pass the run and other physical testing during the Academy.

I was preparing for MONTHS by moderately dieting and jogging 3 miles every other day and doing pushups/situps and weights.

During that time I was very strict with myself and did not gorge on huge meals or nasty sweets.

During that time I did my best to push myself harder and faster.

During that time I gained about 20 pounds of muscle AND fat. I never lost inches or visible gut. I looked fatter at the end.

I made it through my Academy with honors, but I had to listen to my fellow cadets say things like, "I can't believe you can run that fast! Good job."

Heh. Thanks. *I* couldn't believe months of effort had not been rewarded with a slender body and scads of cute women throwing themselves at me.

I realized I needed help but felt hopeless.

When I returned home, I continued my running and exercise and diet. And I continued to gain weight. When my knees starting hurting really bad from all the abuse, I finally stopped and decided it was time for surgery.

I am done. I will not diet without surgical help. I will not do high-impact exercise until my weight drops under 350.

I have convinced myself after years of dieting and exercising with my best and most faithful efforts- and failing constantly- that I will need some serious assistance on this trip and am getting it. I needed a tool and I'll have it installed next month...

I decoded to have the surgery because--My adult life was good at 145 to 165 pounds...Then at age 32--I started to have strange things go wrong with my thyriod...No dr would tell me much...I was skinny--to --fat--skinny to fat....I'd lose 60 pounds--gain 50....lose 75...gain 85 over a period ogf 6 months...After going through this for years---I made a point to bust butt in the gym---I had at least 4 weight lost failures over the years. Anyway--3 years ago--I was going to get the band...As a Husband at the time--my wife said she'd leave me and she wouldn't support my choice. Lke a "FOOL"--I listened and stopped persuing that. Dumb choice...Finally I found out the reason--My wife--(ex-wife now-than you Lord) Told me she liked me to stay big and fat...even though I was having multiple health issues. She even complained about me spending more than 45 minutes at the gym...It takes me almost 15 minutes to change into Gym clothes....Anyway--from her complaints--plus more--a divorce was in there...

Now after a 2005 Divorce--I finally have gone the total workup for this lap band. Finally I am ready for my surgeons appointment next week--to set a date. I am tired of high blood pressure, sleep apnea and the pain in my joints. Plus after I saw what total sitting on the butt can do to me---this from seeing my 2 brothers (1 and 2 years younger than myself). Over 400 pounds and just short of 370 lbs...I actually got scared even more. The fact that I am the oldest in my family and next to the smallest--even though I am 270...What the hell? I said to myself...It's time I do something radical to help me.

So it's time to forget and close off my ears to what my ex said and my mother and family. Am I getting support? Oh no--All I am hearing is--"You gonna look sick or you gonna be too skinny"

Thank God--I have the means to get it done. To deal with the Jealousy--I will ignore them all if need be...Lastly--I read a story on here that was saying---"I don't know what to do--my Mom and Dad wants the band taken out"....The young lady has a hernia near--so from being banded and losing weight--she's gotten sicker....I say--fix the hernia--then tuck on to a new weight and new life....peace