Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling hungry a lot of the time 5 days after operation. Could my stoma/pouch size be too big?

I had gastric bypass with a pouch size of 30 ml... do not know size of stoma. I had it done a few days ago..... today is day 5 post-operation. I am on liquid phase of post-op diet... But I do not feel full after having a large amount of liquid for a meal... I feel like I could eat on, just as I could pre-op... Could this be related to the size of stoma or pouch? Could it be that my stoma is still healing and that scar tissue will form later on around the stoma, narrowing the size, to give me a better sense of fullness??

Would really appreciate opinions of those with knowledge/experience

Thanks.

I had mine done 5days ago .. And feel the same way I can drink the 4oz in less of 20minutes and don't feel that full .. I'm get hungry for sure and just drink more Water and crystal light and Protein Shake ..

Thanks jp23p and one day at a time.

Drinking pre-operation time never filled me up and I would have to eat solids to the point of being full up to feel satisfied and not graze further. Does this change after roux en y gastric bypass.... does everyone else feel full after drinking fluids? Am I the only one??

Thanks jp23p and one day at a time.

Drinking pre-operation time never filled me up and I would have to eat solids to the point of being full up to feel satisfied and not graze further. Does this change after roux en y gastric bypass.... does everyone else feel full after drinking fluids? Am I the only one??

I am 4 months out! You get hungry cause the fluids jusy go straight through and dont just set in your stomach! When you go to solids it will set in ur stomach and make u fill full. You will do great!

Thanks Jessiegirl22 for your reply.

The problem is the liquids I am taking can be quite thick as well.....Eg mashed up lentils with runny natural yogurt......and I would have thought that something of that consistency, even a small amount would definitely fill me up but it really did not. Therefore I am assuming when I get to the pureed food stage, I will not feel full up at any meal either. I can't help but feel a little disappointed -- I really wanted to feel full up and satisfied after a small meal but I can't see it happening at this rate.

Thanks Jessiegirl22 for your reply.

The problem is the liquids I am taking can be quite thick as well.....Eg mashed up lentils with runny natural yogurt......and I would have thought that something of that consistency, even a small amount would definitely fill me up but it really did not. Therefore I am assuming when I get to the pureed food stage, I will not feel full up at any meal either. I can't help but feel a little disappointed -- I really wanted to feel full up and satisfied after a small meal but I can't see it happening at this rate.

I heard about this. She said that you cut all the nerves in your stomach when you do this...and have very few that are functioning. You don't feel your stomach right until it heals. She said sometimes there are people that still have such bad head hunger that you never feel full and that this wasn't a guarantee to feel full, but that once I hit the solid food phase, I won't be able to overeat. It will come back up and if I try to eat then flush it all through to eat more, it will come back up. She also said sometimes as nerves heal and you start learning what full feels like on your new pouch, you gain the full feeling.

So I don't know. I just posted to let you know what my i heard. I was very concerned about still being hungry...I starved myself for years to be thin and finally with GERD and almost being 40...I just can't do it anymore. I'm tired of being hungry...so I'm hoping to gain the satisfied feeling from small portions. It's just not guaranteed. I'd wait until I'm on solids and at least 3 months out before I really started to worry.

OK I am feeling the same way and I am on pureed. 2 oz is not doing it even if I take the whole 20 mins to eat it.