Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

In a heartbeat!

Im not sure

I am very glad I had weight loss surgery.

I'm still trying to figure things out. I'm only 6 days post. I should be on step 2 pureed diet but I have no appetite and and I'm afraid to eat. I have a constant horrible taste in my mouth. It bothers me so bad that I have to keep gum in my mouth. I belch all of the time and it smells like broccoli or brussel sprouts. I hate that. It makes me incredibly self conscious. I'm having trouble getting all of my Protein and Water in daily. Anyone have any encouraging words or tips? I know I'm very early in the process and just look forward to feeling a little more normal again. Has anyone else experienced what a am going through? Does the smelly belch ever go away?

No doubt about it, the first few weeks post-op are challenging. But they pass quickly and it's gets easier - much easier - before you know it. Everyone is different so keep trying different things. Protein is important on so many levels - it's used to replace and heal tissue following surgery, reduces loss of lean muscle, used for energy when you're on a low carb diet, reduces hair loss, and helps protect you from bacterial and viral infections. Every cell in your body contains Protein. Remove the Water from your body and 75% of what is left is protein. So...

• Try drinking 3 oz at a time or

• Taking one oz every 15 mins (or 5 mins, or 10 mins, or 20 mins)

• Taking one sip every "X" mins

• One oz one time, one and a half the next, two the next, etc. at whatever interval allows you to keep it down

The bottom line is experiment and stay committed. It's important and you'll be glad you did.

Water is every bit as important as protein. Dehydration can land you back in the hospital in a heartbeat. If you haven't already, try sipping water as often as possible all day long. Sip, sip, sip, sip. For many folks, that's about the only way they can come close to getting in 64oz (or whatever your doctor recommends) of water a day.

Belching, growling tummy, gas - all perfectly normal and will slowly subside as the healing process proceeds. Well except maybe for the growling tummy. Mine still talks up a storm and I'm 18 months out! Lol.

Congratulations on your surgery! You're gonna love the new you!!

No doubt about it' date=' the first few weeks post-op are challenging. But they pass quickly and it's gets easier - much easier - before you know it. Everyone is different so keep trying different things. Protein is important on so many levels - it's used to replace and heal tissue following surgery, reduces loss of lean muscle, used for energy when you're on a low carb diet, reduces hair loss, and helps protect you from bacterial and viral infections. Every cell in your body contains Protein. Remove the Water from your body and 75% of what is left is protein. So...

• Try drinking 3 oz at a time or

• Taking one oz every 15 mins (or 5 mins, or 10 mins, or 20 mins)

• Taking one sip every "X" mins

• One oz one time, one and a half the next, two the next, etc. at whatever interval allows you to keep it down

The bottom line is experiment and stay committed. It's important and you'll be glad you did.

Water is every bit as important as protein. Dehydration can land you back in the hospital in a heartbeat. If you haven't already, try sipping water as often as possible all day long. Sip, sip, sip, sip. For many folks, that's about the only way they can come close to getting in 64oz (or whatever your doctor recommends) of water a day.

Belching, growling tummy, gas - all perfectly normal and will slowly subside as the healing process proceeds. Well except maybe for the growling tummy. Mine still talks up a storm and I'm 18 months out! Lol.

Congratulations on your surgery! You're gonna love the new you!![/quote']

Thank you so much for your encouragement. You're awesome. I nearly cried while reading your response. It makes me feel more confident about my decision to have wls. I just have to keep telling myself that the way that I feel now will not last forever. I know that there are countless people who would trade places with me in a heartbeat. If you don't mind please keep in touch.

new here! Ok I figured out how to reply to something I see in here! But how the heck do I create my own thread of my own experiences or questions??? I'm pressing every button and can't figure it out! been all over this darn app lol. please help

At the top it says " start new topic"

new here! Ok I figured out how to reply to something I see in here! But how the heck do I create my own thread of my own experiences or questions??? I'm pressing every button and can't figure it out! been all over this darn app lol. please help

Go to forum... I'm gonna tell you the steps gonna go on lap top....

Go to forum home

Go down the list to where you want to post

Click on example post operation

On your right side it says start new topic

You then start your own topic

What are good sources and f Protein in the early days?

Once you're on a regular diet there are many good sources of Protein. In the early going, most folks go with some kind of protein supplement. And again, there are many good options. Ready-to-drink Protein shakes can have anywhere from 20g to 35g or more of protein. They are convenient for folks on the go but some have to experiment with different brands until they find one they like. And they are expensive compared to protein powders. There are also a number of protein options - whey protein is probably the most popular but drinks or powders made from soy or milk Proteins are also excellent sources of protein.

Stay away from Protein Drinks often marketed as "shots" or "bullets". They are attractive to RNY patients because they have very high protein content (often 40g or more) in a very small volume - usually 3 1/2 to 4 ozs. The problem is that almost all of them contain "collagen" protein which is a very, very poor quality of protein that has an extremely low digestibility score. All the protein in the world is useless if your body cannot digest it.

I personally have been drinking Pure Protein Shakes for 18 months and to this day have one for Breakfast every single day. But taste is a very subjective thing and probably the best advice is to experiment until you find one that you like. Buy one can or the smallest container of powder available until you find one that you like.

You're gonna love the new you!!

I would do it again without hesitation . I so wish I did it long ago. Surgery was march 25 th started at 258.0 ....pre - op diet lost 10lbs. To 248.0..... Now 213.0 ..... Down 45 lbs! Just can't wait to be under 200. It will come. Not to bad for 9 weeks out. I feel great , of course I have good days and bad days but I also have many great days to. No regrets what so ever !

I have to say all in all..I would do it again. I do miss certain foods and certain things I use to do but those were also triggers that sat me up for failure!! I needed this!