Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Muscle Milk?

Ok i have heard a lot about this stuff...I decided to read up on it online...not much useful info. Does anyone use this (any ladies especially) what does it do and when do you drink it?

hi alicat,

I have been drinking it since last week. i primarily use it to get more calories in me. since i am working out, i had to up my cals and that does the trick. i did lose 4 3/4 pounds last week, not sure if that had any affect or not.

one thing i make sure - if i do drink it i have to work out that day, it adds about 400 calories to my day and if i dont burn it off i will more than likely gain.

i have tried Peanut Butter / chocolate and like that one and banana Creme. i do not really care for the banana creme too much. i will drink it (cause its kind of expensive) but will not reorder it. i have found it cheapest on Amazon - under 20 for 2+ pounds.

I would chose the Isopure, it is lower in fat. It was on the list from my doctor, he told us to avoid the muscle milk, too many calories and too high in fat. I also did the Atkins shakes. ~Mandy

I use the powder and use less than it calls for. I make it with 2% or fat free milk. I use the chocolate and blend in a tablespoon of Peanut Butter or a banana. I make the vanilla with frozen berries, or strawberry or chocolate milk mix, nestle makes sugar free. The powder is cheaper and you control the strength. ~Mandy

i would ONLY drink muscle milk if you are having an absolute kick ass workout schedule. yes, it does have quite a few cals / fats. i did the Isopure right after surgery and got very tired of the 'kool aid' taste....

below is the nutritional info for 2 scoops. this is without the milk i mix it in (skim)

Cals 348

cals / fat 162

total fat 18g

sat fat 8g

carb 12g

diet Fiber <2g

sugar 6g

Protein 32g

like i said i only drink it when i know i will work out for at least 1/2 hour and burn at least 500 cals.

it is still way too early to see if my "test" is working. i am going to give it a total of a month to see what happens not only to my weight but to inches because this does aid in the muscle building and we all know muscle weighs more than fat. so far i've lost 4 3/4 pound in the first week. not too bad.

I think there is muscle milk light, but I haven't tried either one. I've heard good things about it though. But a lot people like Isopure too...

Yeah they have the Muscle Milk Light out now. I went to GNC last night and was about to get it. Ive been using Isopure off and on since my surgery. It was recommended by my Dr. as well. I finally got back in the gym and I may get on the Muscle Milk Light once I get deep into my workout plan.

I was told that calories and fat should come from food, solid food, not shakes. If you get calories from shakes and work out, you will still eat a meal and then that does not get burned in the workout. I have shakes when I can't get Breakfast down, I am very restricted in the am. The only other time I do shakes is when I am not able to get a good meal or if I am low on Protein for the day. ~Mandy

i bought the 4 pack of ready to drink lean muscle formula - 230 calories and 22 g ofprotien. Mornings are hard to pack breakfast and get to work so i like having a shake ready in case the snooze button got the best of me.

I'm not sure if I liked the MM. maybe it needed to be colder...

i bought the 4 pack of ready to drink lean muscle formula - 230 calories and 22 g ofprotien. Mornings are hard to pack breakfast and get to work so i like having a shake ready in case the snooze button got the best of me.

I'm not sure if I liked the MM. maybe it needed to be colder...

i tried the ready to drink (RTD) this weekend as well and was not impressed with it at all... i have the powder and drink it w/ 12 oz of skim milk and usually throw it in the freezer for about 10 minutes so it is really cold. maybe if you throw the RTD in the freezer for a little bit beforehand???

Hi Alicat,

I heard the Injury vanilla is good. I have not tried that one yet. I may try to see if I can get samples of that one. It gets expsensive! I sent for a lot of samples from Vitalady.com. I have been very happy with the samples so far. They also incuded a sheet with their recommendations, etc. I found it very helpful. They did mention that your body in unable to absorb more than 30 grams of Protein at once. I am in the pre-op stage also. They give a lot of advise about what to add. I tried a little sugar free Cho. pudding mix added to one of the shakes and it was pretty good. I like the idea of the samples because it gives me a variety and I figure when I'm on liquids only it will be nice to just pop something different in my blender. I have everything from strawberry, coconut to choc. Peanut Butter in different varieties. I look foward to trying a different one evey day..kinda breaks up the boredom for me.

My fav. so far is the ProScore 100 chocolate. I think that one was a little higher in calories though. Another one I liked was Sci Fit Choc. ice cream. I think that one had fewer caloroies.

Good Luck.

Vitaladay also has a number you can call 253-848-5118

PS: They also mentioned diet rootbear blended (this gets out the carbonation) with a vanilla shake. That sounds good!