Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Feb 5th, but need support....

Ok, coming to the ones that can really identify. I was banded on 2/5 (one week ago), and I am struggling with the recovery stage. I generally feel week, but the worst seems to be the soreness and tightness in my belly. Probably port site. Feels fine to walk or lay down, but to sit at my desk, it feels awful. I have had laparoscopy before and two c-section deliveries. Didn't expect to still be struggling thru the recovery part one week out. I realize this sounds terribly whinny, but I am so frustrated. Still haven't come to terms with the band... I refer to him as "Bandit" for now. I am sure in time I will grow to love him, but for the past 7 days, not so much. I am also still attempting to adapt to the food. At this point, still on Soups, broths, and liquids. Cottage cheese is as thick as it gets. I tried a few smashed Beans the other night - and that was a no go! Could my stomach still be swollen after a week? Come on, when does this get a little better? NEED SUPPORT!!!!!!

KIM

Kim,

You're already back to work...where I still haven't gone back, and I'm two weeks tomorrow.

YES, you are definately swollen inside. It took me 11 days to realize that the a.m.'s are really hard, when I'm most restricted also.

I never thought I'd see the light at the end of the tunnel...it just took me longer to get there.

Thanks Sherilynn! I guess I thought it would be rough for 3-5 days max. Boy was I wrong. I think I might be more like you...it might take two weeks before really seeing the turning point. I feel VERY restricted. Just to drink Water takes forever. I have to take little bity sips about 30 secs apart otherwise it hurts. Maybe that is it, I am simply swollen and need more time to heal. I will keep in touch. Thanks for your kind thoughts. -Kim

I was banded on Feb. 6th and I had to take another week today. I feeling alright just not great. Still feel weak and I haven' had anything that has not been in the blender first.

Joan

Thanks Joan! This support is awesome. I think I am still pretty swollen. And I did return to work today - but think I could have used another few days off. But boss isn't feeling my absence - ya know. I commute about 40 miles in - which is SO difficult, but I brought my pillow with me. Mostly I feel weak and the internal soreness today. Just not 100% me yet, know what I mean?

Ok, coming to the ones that can really identify. I was banded on 2/5 (one week ago), and I am struggling with the recovery stage. I generally feel week, but the worst seems to be the soreness and tightness in my belly. Probably port site. Feels fine to walk or lay down, but to sit at my desk, it feels awful. I have had laparoscopy before and two c-section deliveries. Didn't expect to still be struggling thru the recovery part one week out. I realize this sounds terribly whinny, but I am so frustrated. Still haven't come to terms with the band... I refer to him as "Bandit" for now. I am sure in time I will grow to love him, but for the past 7 days, not so much. I am also still attempting to adapt to the food. At this point, still on Soups, broths, and liquids. Cottage cheese is as thick as it gets. I tried a few smashed Beans the other night - and that was a no go! Could my stomach still be swollen after a week? Come on, when does this get a little better? NEED SUPPORT!!!!!!

KIM

Hi Kim,

I too was banded on 2/5. I also still have a little pain in my belly. I have noticed that if I am sitting up straight, that it becomes quit painful and I need to lay back in my chair. I still can't lay in my bed though.

I am still on the liquid phase of my diet; broth, tea, 100% fruit juices, popsicles, etc., and skim milk. I will be on the liquids for an other week, then I will beable to move up to full liquids, then mushies, and so on. Amazingly, I am not hungery at all.

Yeah, your stomach is definately still swollen.

Don't forget, everything you are going through is normal. We will be doing great in no time at all. This whole experience will be worth all the pain and inconvenience. I can't wait!! :clap2: :clap2: :gluck: :whoo: :hug:

Stacy

Hi! I was banded on Feb 5, too. You want to make sure that anything you eat has NO chunks in it at this point. Try some cream Soups diluted with skim milk so they're really runny, and don't try to eat it if it's too hot. Just a bit warm seems to go down best, and take very small sips. It takes me 30 minutes to finish a cup of cream Soup. Hang in there, it will get better. Come join us on the February 2007 Bandsters thread!

See you there!

I'm getting my band on Valentine's Day! Scared, yet looking forward to not being able to eat!! Just want those skinny clothes to fit!!!

Michele:clap2:

I was banded on 2/7. I was planning on going back to work today but that didn't happen. I may go back Wednesday (that will be 1 week out). I am still very sore. I am not having any trouble eating or drinking. Did your surgeon put any saline in your band during surgery? Just curious

Hi,

I was banded on the 6th and today was my first real day back in the office. Although I had to travel to another state, work during the day and then do the business dinner tonight. YUCK, that was fun trying to hide not eating and pretending to eat... LOL.....

Anyway, my port site is really sore. I find it feel much better if I put ice packs on it for about 20 minutes a couple of times a day. I wasnt able to today until now and it definately feels much more sore.

Hang in there, in a week we will feel normal....:biggrin1:

Guest Band4EJ

I read on the February bandsters thread that heat helps relieve the bloated belly pain. They suggested filling an old pillowcase with rice and heating it in the microwave. I didn't think I could stand the cooked rice smell...so I actually went to the drugstore today and bought something called "The Original Bed Buddy". It can be heated in the microwave. It's filling is some sort of natural ingredient, but the smell isn't overpowering. The cool thing about it is...it is fairly flat and has sort of a half moon shape (and it is fairly big) so that it rests nicely on my tummy. I had surgery on Feb. 6th. I haven't lots of pain but for sure that bloated, uncomfortable feeling. The heat really has provided some relief. I'm using it right now!

KIM

Kim,

Hang in there, it really does get better! I am almost six months out and barely remember the pain after surgery! It is all worth it!

My best advice...LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! I was VERY weak for about six weeks after surgery. I waited a week and a half to go back to work and then only worked half days for a week and a half. I found I would go to work (I have an hour commute each way) and then lay down as soon as I got home. I also found that my waist band tended to rub on my port site, so when ever I sat down I made sure to push my waist band down. Tylonol makes an Extra Strengh liquid that is very good for pain also. I thought I was going to get addicted to the stuff as I took it quite a bit those few weeks after surgery, but no problems with addiction. I also remember not being able to drink anything that was cold or hot. Keep everything room temp and you might have an easier time getting liquids to go down. I was on Clear Liquids for two weeks, which really allowed the swelling to go down. If you are having a lot of swelling, try the Clear Liquids for another week. Even today, when I get a fill, they tell me clear liquids for two days, but I actually do them for 4-6 days.

Kim (and all you others recently banded), Bandit, will soon turn into Bandella ("Ella" for short) and she will become your best friend and help you acheive many goals. If anyone has questions, please feel free to contact me.

Good Luck!

Steph

Hi Kim,

I was banded on the 7th, and just today went to work but not a full day, I got really unconforable siting in my office chair (and I have a fancy chair, no help) then my DW ask me if I had taken my pain meds and I had forgoten, got home and took them, then took a nap and woke up feeling much better. I am not hungry at all, I drink plenty of liquids but I am not taking enough Protein I am sure, but then when my wife mentions whatever she has made for me I feel sick so I am going strong with V8 slash and some yougurt.

ok i am new also , i had my band on jan. 29 in dallas with dr. barker. I have a herd time getting the Fluid in, i can eat some now but i really like smashed Beans and low fat cheese on top, i have a really hard time wondering if i am eating enough or not, or if i am eating to little or to much , i am so confused on what to eat and what not to eat,i don't even know sometimes, i wonder sometimes what i have done to myself. i am where there are no support groups and no seminars. I would have to drive 3.5 hours to get to them , thank you for listening and please respond, i have posted on obesity help and have not gotten results for days , god bless and thank you

joy